4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied
Published 23 months ago by Nolan

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable price... Decent product...
Published 23 months ago by Julius B.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320 15.6-Inch Laptop (Satin Black Trax) (Personal Computers)
My old laptop had burnt out after a few years of good use being a older model Toshiba Satellite. Looking for a decent replacement I found myself to this laptop due to the price. That being said, I feel that my purchase was more than worth it. Coming from Windows 7 to Windows 8 has been a learning curve to say the least but with the program Classic Shell and the fact that Windows 8 has a option to use a "Desktop" interface helped a great deal making my experience with Windows 8 a pretty easy transition.

If you're looking to buy this and downgrade to Windows 7, be careful. After all my research, it's possible the drivers will not work with Windows 7. That was the only reason I did not downgrade myself.

I will say that the sound is absolutely awful and the camera is less than satisfying. Both could have been done much much better. There is a flimsy feel to the laptop itself but isn't that bad. The keys on the keyboard when typing feel like they are very cheap and could break if I were to press too hard. I do not use the touch pad but instead a USB Mouse which works perfectly fine when you disable the touch pad. I never liked them and have always used either a wireless or wired mouse.

This model DOES come with a HDMI output and is fantastic when you hook it up to your HDTV watching youtube or other stuff.

I let my kid play World of Warcraft with this laptop and at the preset "Good" settings he can get anywhere from 20-40 fps on that game alone. Considering my old laptop that is a vast improvement and is playable to anyone looking for a cheap solution.

Be careful with the shipping method though. I chose the "Free Super Saver Shipping" and was shipped VIA Lasership. This laptop was at the facility which was only 20 miles from my house for 2 days. I was fed up and called to see if I would be able to pick it up instead of waiting since usually once the item is at the facility, I normally get the item that same day. They did however work with me, tracked down the package, and allowed me to pick it up myself with no issues.

Overall if you're just looking for something cheap to use for some light gaming or merely looking for something for school work and/or internet surfing, this is a good choice at the price. I have no qualms with it so far except with the sound and camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable price... Decent product..., February 26, 2013
This is a solid purchase for the individual on a budget. It shipped within a few hours after my purchase which was a plus, and got it the next day. The first thing I noticed is that it was bigger than what I thought it was going to be and felt extremely durable. The display is also vibrant but lacking only a little bit compared to a more expensive laptop, which won't disappoint you at all. The sound however, is not to good at all, it's tolerable but you will feel short ended when you play music or watch videos. Also the surface (Black Trax) of the laptop is the same as the cursor pad as well as the click buttons which is a feature I can over look but some people will find it annoying when navigating. I would recommend this laptop for the price and it is a quality product. Windows 8 takes some time to get use too because of the apps but it's a cool experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for what I needed., March 2, 2013
I'm a college student so I just needed a laptop that I could get my HUGE workload done on. This was the ticket. At an amazing price I couldn't pass it up. Yeah that sound is not that great and the camera is a little fuzzy , but then again, that's not what I bought it for. So far I like windows 8. I'm still learning to navigate it but I'm sure with time it will be just fine. The shipping of the product was very very fast so no complaints there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer for the price, March 19, 2013
love this laptop, I upgraded from an older Toshiba, I have had this computer about a month now and haven't had any problems with it.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service!!, February 25, 2013
I bought a Toshiba S855 Laptop in August for a computer class. It was used almost exclusively by myself and I transported it in a neoprene sleeve for protection. Apparently one of my daughters tried to insert a flashdrive into one of the USB ports upside down (like all of us have many times before). Apparently this damaged the USB port and since the one next to it is connected to it the second USB port also stopped working. Fortunately there is one other USB port of the opposite side of the laptop which still works. Since this laptop was only a few months old I sent it back to Toshiba for what I thought would be a warranty repair. Instead they said because the port had "physical damage" it was not covered but they would replace the motherboard which includes the USB ports for "only" $325! This was more than half of the cost of the entire laptop!!! I called them and said that simply inserting a flashdrive upside down should not have ruined the motherboard and it was my contention that perhaps that USB port was not solid to begin with because I've attempted to insert a flashdrive upside down countless times and never caused damage to other computers I've ever owned. I was then told my concerns were being forwarded to a case manager and that they would contact me in 3-5 business days. After a week I never heard anything so I called tech support again and once again I was told I would be contacted by a case manager in 3-5 business days. Another week went by and no word so I called back again and this time my call was actually forwarded to a case manager. I tried to explain politely that I felt perhaps the USB port was poorly soldered hence the premature failure. I told them there wasn't a scratch on the unit anywhere, no dents, no chips, no scratches, etc so obviously the laptop was not dropped or abused. I was told by the case manager plain and simply "physical damage, no coverage" and that was that. So then I asked who I speak to up the chain of command and was told I would need to research that myself because she had no idea who to contact next! She could not/would not offer a name, number, department or anything as to where I should go next! I spent 30 years in the military and I always knew who my boss was, who their boss was, and who their boss was! To be told "figure it out yourself" was unbelievable to hear. So I did the research online and got an address for corporate headquarters and again voiced my concerns (in a letter) and told them that yes, the USB port was pushed in but how could it do that with no obvious damage elsewhere on the unit? I asked was it not feasible that there was a weakened solder joint which caused the port to fail so easily? Today I got a letter from Toshiba and they are standing by their claim that there was "physical damage" so therefor Toshiba has no financial obligation to assist me with my claim.
So now I have a 5 month old laptop without a scratch on it but 2 of 3 non-working USB ports. Instead of paying Toshiba $325 to replace the motherboard I went to Walmart and bought a USB hub for $12 and now I can run 4 USB drives from the one remaining working port on this laptop. So, basically it was a cheap and easy fix for me but the principal of the thing is that Toshiba could not even consider that perhaps the USB port was weak to begin with. So instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt and fixing it thereby having a happy satisfied customer they totally blew me off. So, be warned, Toshiba, in my opinion does not stand behind their products. I will NEVER buy another Toshiba product again. If I had dropped the laptop and there was that sort of physical damage I could accept that it was my fault and should not be covered under warranty but for a motherboard to fail when a USB drive is inserted upside down is just not defendable.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 7, 2013 4:22:30 PM PST
Thanks for the feedback, ptoptom, and sorry to hear that you had this problem with your C855D-S5320 laptop's USB ports.

Your point of not being escalated is well taken. I'll pass this info along to contact center management as they may want to review processes and training.

I understand your disappointment with the cost of repairing damage done by attempting to insert a USB device into the port upside down. The cost in parts and labor to replace a main board in a laptop can indeed approach the retail price of entry level models. That might seem unfair on the surface but it's essentially a reflection of the great values available today in new laptops, and the relative costs to repair individual devices vs. mass production manufacturing.

We would never expect simply holding a USB device upside down while aligning it with and gently trying to plug it into the USB port to result in damage. Of course I have no way to know exactly what happened in the case of your laptop but, depending on the amount of force applied, breakage certainly could result from trying to force an insertion with the wrong orientation.

Good thinking with your workaround of using a USB hub on the remaining good USB port, and thanks for taking the time to post your review.

5.0 out of 5 stars ddghffa, for less than $400 this one fast cheap muggadugga and BestBuy can't buy these Mugghuffa's for this muddaghuun cheap !, February 12, 2013
This much CPU for less than $400 and bolted onto that gorgeous Toshiba LCD, makes it a super cheap and just damn fast laptop for a real deal of a price. This is full powered FasterBastard for less than what most junky Celeron netbooks cost.

Let me give the highlights, you can read the appended comment for links to the downloads and longer detail if you're still indecisive:

++ It has one the brightest and lustrous screens you've ever seen on a laptop / that you've every seen in the world. My wife has an iPad with w Retina Display, I also own an exotic OLED (LCD made of electrified algae) and this cheap o laptop beats the Retina and thinly surpasses the stupidly overpriced smuggled OLED.

++ It is fast and responsive, clicking applications and menus just launches them with light bulb speed, and that is still with a BOTTLENECKED 5,400 RPM hard drive. You can install and SSD and it will speed up, but you don't need an SSD to be happy with it and it won't really improve the crappy battery life.

++ Cheap to fix, if you gotta perform surgery on it either before or after your warranty expired and you're paying for it out of pocket, ... the most expensive part is ~two hundred bucks for an entire LCD assembly and the lid. The internals are spacious, you could literally store hand tools inside the case it has so much room and that is also its attribute since the motherboard isn't tightly integrated into a single circuit board. Example: When a Lenovo or Vaio power socket wears out, it has to be carefully cut away and masterfully resoldered with a unique part specific to that motherboard. If you mess up, you'll have to replace a $900 motherboard new or take your chances with a used one that might have a dubious origin. A Toshiba power socket is a standard DC jack connected with two wires and sold at Radio Shack for less than $20, no soldering, just four phillips screws, the rest of the parts are just as easy to work on as your pregnant sisters Camaro.

BUT WHAT JUST SUCKS BLUE DOLPHIN MARBLES ////

The Integrated Synaptics Track Pad has to be the cheapest and crappiest one ever made !!!
I'm convinced Tohsiba is buying these trackpads from North Korean prison camps compared to other Synaptics pads on ThinkPads, Sony's even HP's.... they're usable, but the Toshiba trackpad is as pleasant as rubbing an open blister

Consider investing in a wireless mouse, the Microsoft 3000 Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000series is particularly neat since it works before Windows even boots such as during dry screen startup and POST power up and without installing drivers. It works must as well as their $100+ devices and from auditorium length distances. You can use a Bluetooth mouse / keyboard and Bluetooth performance is good, BE WARNED THE MICROSOFT MOUSE INTERFERES WITH THE BLUETOOTH AND SHOULD BE PLUGGED INTO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OR EVEN FURTHER AWAY WITH A USB EXTENDER SANOXY 15 Foot USB 2.0 Extension Cable OR IT MIGHT DROWN OUT THE BLUETOOTH SIGNALS.

Could they have made it any more awkwardly sized, try finding a good backpack to carry it in and you'll end up buying a bitch bag purse of unisex color since its too long for most backpacks and you'll end up at a Sporting Goods store measuring rifle cases or finding only fuschia bags from American Apparel. Its cool if you're a girl but finding the right kind of heavy and properly dimensioned nylon / kevlar case for this thing will be a quest unto itself.

The whole damn thing is made of a high gloss polished plastic that makes it as slippery and hard to hold onto as an eel skin soaked in KYJelly!!! The rubber feet on the bottom don't matter, this thing can still slide off a cheap leather sofa and if you're clumsy, get ready to work on those internal parts or consider buying the damage protection since it seems to be accident prone. Toshiba listened to their customers and also make the "L" series / "Brushed Chrome" versions that are the same performance, nicer synaptic pads and even better feeling keyboards for less than $50 more.

I purchased three Toshiba Satellites in as many weeks, two C855's and an L755, the first one was so frustrating and the LCD broke after closing it on an SD memory card forgotten on the keyboard, the Toshiba Tech Support was so larcenous I literally stabbed the laptop with a screwdriver. What the hell, the screen was already broken and it was immensely satisfying in ways that I can't properly describe. I was still hypnotized by the cheap speed of it and bought an identical one and parked it two counties away at a friends house and RDP'd to it in case I felt compelled to kill it too, I'd have some miles to separating us and time to calm down. That is the fastest $600 64bit Server I'VE ever built.

Reading the reviews, learned about the L series, sorta like a better trim model BMW with nicer interior and quieter ride and I'm determined to buy nothing else from now on.

For years I was a Thinkpad biggot, but using an overpriced Lenovo now along with its well known quirks just feels like unsatisfying kinky sex compared to a Toshibit. I'll be replacing my familys ThinkPads with Toshibas in the future.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Buy this if you want to spend your time talking to tech support, April 29, 2013
I'm not a big-time reviewer, but had to speak out this time. I'll keep it short and sweet. Bought the laptop on Jan 4, by March 1 the right-sided USB ports stopped working and by March 15 the touchpad stopped working. Mailed it in for repair, got it back with no information on what they found/repaired/replaced, it only noted what I had originally complained about and that it was "fixed." It was, hooray! Until April 28.

I told them simply that I wanted my money back or a replacement of this, clearly, defective product. They told me no and said I could send it back for repair again but, hey, good news, at least I don't have to pay the shipping AGAIN this time. They are so generous. Do yourself a favor and type this into a search engine: 'touchpad not working' and see if it doesn't autopopulate with Toshiba. When it does, see all the articles that come up about the Satellite. Please, save yourself the time and hassle.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 10, 2013 2:37:31 PM PDT
Thank you for the feedback, A. R. Ragland, and sorry to hear of the difficulty.

Many touchpad issues are based on unexpected behavior from features that use various tapping, sliding, and other gestures to trigger an advanced feature. Those types of issues can all be resolved with configuration changes for those who want their touchpads to only respond to deliberate drags and clicks. This is typical and desired behavior for many laptop users, and when I use the search terms you suggest at google.com, I mainly find generic help for these types of issues.

Besides the help offered at some of the Google links, a knowledge base article in the Toshiba Forums Community covers this topic in some detail: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Features-Knowledge-Base/TOSHIBA-Clickpad-with-Gesture-Control/ta-p/350582

Having said all of that, sorry if you have indeed experienced a hardware failure with your laptop's touchpad. If you have not yet sent it out for repair, please look into the article link above.

Thanks again for your feedback, and for being a Toshiba customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic computer, March 19, 2013
I got this for my husband who admittedly is not very computer savvy. It's a good basic computer, nothing more for the price. I personally hate windows 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, April 2, 2013
I have been using this laptop on a daily basis since the beginning of March and it is still working great. No glitches or anything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hassle., March 30, 2013
Bought it for the low price, and because it seemed to fulfill my simple needs of something I can write papers on while surfing the web and listening to music. Within three weeks, I started getting an error message that made it impossible to do any work and now I have to call tech to figure out how to fix it.
Also the speakers are TERRIBLE and the touch pad isn't incredibly responsive. Comes pre-loaded with a ton of crap. Wish I had gone with the Asus.