Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 10, 2011
This is a pretty solid laptop. I switched from an 08 macbook pro to this laptop so I was initially planning on being underwhelmed. The only reason I decided to switch to a PC was my macbook was running out of warranty (which I used heavily). I was able to sell it for the price of this PC with a 3 year warranty. Obviously the construction of this laptop isn't as impressive as the macbook (plastic versus aluminum). However the function and responsiveness of the operating system is similar and impressive. This is my first windows 7 experience, and I have been impressed so far. For the price of this laptop I don't think you can go wrong.

My favorite things about this toshiba besides the improved ram and storage over my macbook are:

1. Track pad lock feature, this is really handy if you use your word processor a lot.
2. 10 key keypad on this laptop is a nice feature that I didn't have on my macbook
3. The side vent cooling feature is really nice, this laptop stays cool all the time.
4. Battery seems to be pretty good(although my macbook's battery was also really impressive and could run for hours unplugged even after years of use).

The only con is the amount of crap that comes preloaded on these PC's, but I am sure that is not unique to this laptop. That is something apple figured out a long time ago. It is really overwhelming trying to figure out which programs are important and which are not. Especially when you haven't used a PC in years.
on September 24, 2011
My 4 year old Toshiba laptop was getting a bit long in the tooth so I decided to get an updated one. Due to budget restraints, I couldn't get the P-series Toshiba with the upgraded graphics, so I settled on the L-series. I've had this laptop for a month and found a few interesting points that might help some of you out there.

1. This laptop is not heavy at all. The weight is really well proportioned.
2. Intel integrated HD graphics are a joke. Don't expect to play any games at any decent quality resolutions or settings.
3. The Realtek wifi adapter is about the lowest quality you can find. It would disconnect all the time, never connect at anywhere above 72mbps. If you get this laptop, spend the extra $25 on an Intel Centrino 6200 mini pci card.
4. Ram is cheap. Immediately upgrade this to 8gb of ram. As of this writing, you can pick up 8Gb for $35.
5. The touchpad multi-touch is really annoying. How annoying? I've magnified/de-magnified my screen at least 4 times while writing this.
6. The numberpad throws me off. I'm not used to it on a laptop.
7. The 500gb hard drive is OK. I'd prefer a 7200rpm model, but I can deal.
8. No bluetooth. It's a <$2 part. It really should be standard on everything by now.
9. 10/100. Again, Gigabit Ethernet should be standard on everything by now.
10. The keyboard is glossy, therefore it is slippery and prone to smudging.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2011
let me start by saying i'm not a tech-person. i took WEEKS and WEEKS searching and reviewing before i made this purchase. i wanted something reliable but reasonably priced. my previous laptop blew a motherboard but i learned that i could use my ipad or smart phone for most of my technology needs. i really just needed a laptop to manage my photos (picassa, shutterfly, storage photos, etc). i really love this laptop, even better than my 4 year old HP. it is very quiet when running multiple programs. it doesn't get hot or even warm (i put the laptop on my lap when using), i could not have done that with my HP. other than basic web searching we've also used an HDMI cable to connect to our tv so husband could watch sports via the internet on our tv. this worked perfectly. i really can't think of anything negative or less than i expected. i will add an update if i find that the computer loses it's luster.
on September 23, 2011
I have had plenty of computer brands to know what I was looking for this time. I have had Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, and Mac. I knew i did not want a Dell, HP, or Acer. When getting my husbands computer fixed I asked the repair guy what brand should i look into to get the most bang for my buck. He told me Toshiba. I had bused my moms Toshiba and I loved it so I looked around for the right Toshiba for me. This computer is exactly what I was looking for. I am so glad I got this one too! It is fast and easy to navigate around.

The look of the computer is great as well! I love that the number pad is separate, most laptops do not have that. The screen is a perfect size and the outside is very sleek. I havent had to take it anywhere yet, but I can imagine that it wont be too much of a hassel because it is not heavy at all. It is pretty sturdy feeling.
on August 26, 2011
***Pros***
1 The Grey color looks good.

2 The performance is Ok.I do not use the PC Benchmark. Win7 shows the cpu score is 5.8,memory is 5.9 and harddisk is 5.9.
B940 is about 80% speed of the i3-2310m and the laptop can be $80-$150 cheaper.I am not a gamer or coder.To me it is good enough for everyday use.

3 The battery can last 3.5-4 hours.

***Cons***
To a $400 laptop,it is good choice.But I wish there is a laptop with the backlit keyboard in my budget.If I have $600,I will choose Toshiba Satellite P755-S5260.
on September 20, 2011
I bought the laptop for my 12 year old granddaughter mainly for schoolwork. She uses the Internet to research topics and the prepare homework and presentations. It's a great value given the speed of the processor and the other specs: 500 GB hard Drive, 4 GB of RAM, battery life of over 5 hours, a bright screen and the attractive grey diamond case.
on August 26, 2011
I personally don't use Toshiba. This laptop is actually a replacement of my brother's older Toshiba laptop. The previous laptop that he owned didn't actually have any software problems. The laptop accidentally fell from a chair and the motherboard and screen were broken. He had it for 3 years and never had problems with it. As much as he wanted to save the laptop, it would cost him $150 for replacing the broken parts. Considering that a lot of newer laptops with better specs came out within the three years, I told him it would be best to just buy a new one. We bought this laptop @ $449.99, which an additional $300 with a much better specs. When he was looking for a new laptop, he explicitly told me that he wanted another Toshiba. This laptop has a very nice color. We also liked that it as an HDMI outlet since we want to see some clips on a bigger screen. The only thing I hated about this is there were a lot of programs pre-installed but it's just a minor problem since you could just uninstall them. Overall, I would recommend this for people looking for cheaper but quality laptop.
on October 2, 2012
I purchased my L755 in December of 2011. It is a nice product for the price, and at first I was thrilled with it. The only deficiency coming out of the box was the battery life. It is advertised as 4-5 hours, when in reality it only lasts that long while resting. If you actually use the computer, the battery lasts about 2-2.5 hours. If you run media like video and movies, that life goes down to 1.5-2 hours. Frustrating if you want to watch a movie on your computer without plugging it in, which I do! So this computer fails from the battery life standpoint IMO.

Second, and the bigger of the two reasons I give this laptop a 2. About three months into its use I start getting a pop-up notify from Toshiba themselves, claiming that my unit needs a BIOS update. Being the skeptical person that I am, I call Toshiba to check its validity, and they tell me that it is indeed a Toshiba based alert that should be installed to help with my units functionality. As I proceed to download the BIOS update, the computer goes black! It is basically dead, and it won't come back. The BIOS update specifically says to NOT shut the computer down during the update, so I let the computer sit black for 24 hours. Finally, I realize that it's not coming back, and I shut it down. (Power it off) When I power it back on, it stays powered on with a black screen for about 10 secs, and then shuts itself right back off.

After searching the problem on line, I find that this problem is not unique, in fact I find dozens of people in forums talking about the same problem. So, it's time to send it in for repair. I could write a few paragraphs about that experience alone. Dealing with customer service reps from foreign countries is not the end of the world if they can actually understand and help with your problem, but most cannot. Toshiba is no exception. Outsourcing customer service is a short term money saver for the tech industry, but the long term effect will do more damage than good IMO. Highlights of my experience:

1)Toshiba makes YOU pay $25 to send the computer back to them. REALLY?! After your BIOS update is the reason for the problem? (Insert favorite cuss word here)
2) I am forced to spend $125 on an external hard drive, and have the thing backed up by micro center
3) The computer is returned in a reasonable amount of time. (About 10 days)
4) When I open the box, there is crack in the plastic top right next to the Toshiba logo (definitely was not there when I sent it in)
5) The computer now takes about 5 minutes to load windows, when before it took about 30 seconds. Imagine sitting in front of your laptop for 5 minutes doing nothing...it's seems like a lifetime!
6) I continue to get notifications from Toshiba for updates, but I don't trust them enough to actually install them.

Now I am stuck with a computer that takes forever to load windows, has practically NO battery after less than one year of use, and cannot be updated without fear of crashing...and I have already invested an addition $150, on top of the almost $500 I paid for the computer.

Thanks a lot Toshiba, you have created another Apple user.
on December 28, 2011
For anyone who wonders whether an under-$500 laptop can be any good, the answer is: you'd better believe it!

I've owned and used a number of PCs over the past twenty years, and this is the best so far.

First, Windows 7 is a significant improvement over XP. I say that based on the rapid startup and shutdown times alone -- XP would take five minutes to "apply its makeup upon wakeup". W7 is up and running in about 30 seconds, and it shuts down just as fast. It also seems to take care of most scheduled maintenance tasks on its own.

Second, Toshiba specializes in laptops, and this one gleams with quality (I have the model in red, not gray). Super bright LED HD screen -- check! Sleep & charge USB port -- check! Built-in webcam and mike -- check! JVC DVD/BR player and burner drive -- check! Full-size keyboard with numeric keypad -- check! Stereo speakers -- check! 4GB of system memory with a 500GB hard drive -- check!

Now in truth I don't need a screaming, cutting-edge computer. I have a Sony PS3 to play video games. I use a computer for standard functions, including Internet, word processor, email and calendar, database, photo shop, and playing and burning CDs and DVDs.

This Toshiba seems to handle all these tasks -- simultaneously -- without breaking a sweat. The only improvements I have made are adding the tube-shaped Logitech sound bar that hangs behind the screen, keeping the computer cool on a Targus padded cooling stand, and buying a little USB keyboard light for use in dark places.

Otherwise the laptop's battery seems to last several hours, depending on what you're doing, the keyboard and touch pad feel great, and -- well, the only negative I can think of is IMO Toshiba's Start-up and Users Guides could have been better written, but then I'm a writer.

The long and short of it is, PCs have come a long way since Mac guy made fun of us, and now that you can get a beautiful laptop like this for a half to a third of the price of an equivalent Mac -- who's having the last laugh now? Don't hesitate to pick this laptop up -- it's a gem!
on February 17, 2014
I brought this 3 years or more ago. It's an excellent computer no problems. Nice wide screen, comfortable keys while typing. It's fast, I purchase for use at home to complete jobs that I could not finish at work. my job is very demanding , not enough time in the work day to finsh and meet deadlines. I was able connect to work place system and finish jobs. The battery last maybe an hour now, but I just switch to AC outlet. Toshiba is and has always been my choice for computers. My last one crash from virus after about 20 years of use.

See 1 answered question