5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic value!
My Dell died and this Toshiba was purchased as a replacement. FYI, the last computer cost a bit over $1,000 - this computer is $499. Perhaps the Toshiba doesn't look as slick, but it functions as well or better than the three-year-old Dell.

Published on November 15, 2011 by California Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING-Toshiba Satellite Std Warranty Inadequate
I actually have a new Toshiba Satellite L740 purchased in July 2011 and just want to warn everyone about Toshiba's standard warranty coverage. I also purchased the extended 3 year standard warranty. After 5 months, I had a single vertical gray line show up on the laptop display about 1/8 inch wide, so I called Toshiba support.

After some minor troubleshooting,...
Published on December 11, 2011 by RegLaptopUser

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING-Toshiba Satellite Std Warranty Inadequate, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite L755-S5349 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core i3-2330M Processor, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Matrix Silver (Personal Computers)

After some minor troubleshooting, I was told that vertical display lines are not the result of normal usage, that they were an indication of damage and are not covered by the warranty. The case manager also confirmed that this would not be covered. He said I could still send in the laptop but that the Toshiba "Depot" would just say it was caused by abuse and only provide an estimate for repair costs regardless of whether there were any actual signs of damage. I was at a loss.

After searching on the internet, I have found that this is a common practice for Toshiba Support, claiming all defects are the result of abuse. Please search for yourself before purchasing a Toshiba product, you will find countless of similar cases where normal laptop users are refused coverage because Toshiba claims abuse and damage for malfunctions during the warranty period.

I purchased this Toshiba laptop because they rated higher in reliability, but now I realize that I would rather have a slightly less reliable laptop, that actually has warranty coverage than this situation I have with Toshiba.

Regardless, by posting this review I can't possibly hope to harm Toshiba or convince them that they need to stop this practice, they will still sell laptops all day long. I only hope to inform others of my experience with Toshiba warranty coverage and urge you to research Toshiba's support practices. If you still must have a Toshiba, I suggest to purchase a 3rd party warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic value!, November 15, 2011

It was very fast to set this computer up, connecting to the wireless network and getting online took less than 10 minutes. The keyboard is full sized with nice key action. The screen is big, bright and really sharp. Nice.

It has some pretty cool features
- A button to deactivate the track pad when using an external mouse
- an HDMI port for plugging into TVs
- the Track pad has a touch feature for expanding and contracting your internet browser
- even when the computer is asleep, you can charge your toys like ipad, phone...
- there is a media card reader slot for a camera media card

Some drawbacks
- The keyboard isn't backlit
- It isn't the thinnest or lightest laptop, but it is light enough for its size.

Considering the amazingly low price, the few drawbacks couldn't keep the computer from getting a five star review. What a deal!

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Customer Service - The worst ever, January 5, 2012
While this product may be decent, my recent experience with Toshiba and their customer service has caused me to conclude no product is worth buying from Toshiba if there's a chance anything can go wrong with it.

I had a simple request regarding recovery discs and the runaround I received was laughable. After initially discussing my case at length with the first customer service rep, I was told to call back in an hour or two so a supervisor could help me. I did and it seemed I was intentionally cut off 3 different times. One of the times I was hung up on after simply giving my serial number and the case number I was told to reference. The next day when I was at work, a case manager called my home number, left her name and a toll number I could call to discuss my case. The number was busy for 2 days straight. So I had to call back to the toll free line to talk to another customer service rep. On that phone call after waiting on hold for nearly 10 minutes, I was told I would be connected with a case manager only to be connected with an automated message telling me to call the same number I had just called and then disconnected me. Unfortunately, they got under my skin so I admittedly spent far too much time working to get a resolution just to confirm the insanity was real. It was.

All told it took 4 days, more than 15 phones calls and talking to 7 different people and my issue was still not resolved in a manner that was acceptable to me. All for $20. Toshiba got my $20 but they will not get my business again.

Short term victory for long-term loss. There are plenty of other options for Toshiba's products. My family will choose any of them before considering Toshiba in the future. I feel bad for their customer service reps who are given so little power to consider how to leave a customer feeling taken care of and excited to purchase another product from their company.

Simple summary: Buyer beware if the product ever involves resolution from Toshiba customer service. Their reps have not been given the authority to act to make something right as far as you are concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Laptop, November 19, 2011
Chloe K. (Richmond, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased this Toshiba Satellite L755 for my husband. He has been using it for nearly 2 months and absolutely loves it. As a secondary computer it has good power and is a neat laptop. There is quite a lot of hard drive memory. The Intel core i3 processor helps in maintaining excellent speed and versatility. The computer is well built and feels very sturdy. Over all this is an excellent buy and outstanding value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars To all of the naysayers, December 22, 2011
I have read all of the reviews and I am simply stumped at the negative ones. I have had this laptop for 3/4months and it was the easiest laptop I have ever set up. But the complaints, that the HDMI output did not output 1080p, come on, Computer 101, this device is not going to upconvert from it's native resolution. The complaints about the DVD drive coming on periodically. Ever think it might be the processor cooling fan? This device has a cool app (PC Health Monitor) which will give you the processor temp and the fan speed. They both interact. When the fan is at max rpm's it could sound like a disk drive. I would suggest looking at that the next time you hear the noise, I have been a Dell user and currently own 2 of their laptops and three Desktops. Of all of the computers the Toshiba came with the least ampount of garbage software and creating a backup disk takes very little time and money. I believe less is best. Dell has the habit of loading software and trial versions of pure garbage. Please also don't knock Consumer Reports, they base all of there information on raw data as well as Consumer Feedback. They put these devices through extreme tests. So Toshiba Laptops are reliable. Every complaint , except for the occasional defective battery, I believe has an honest explanation except for the guessing that seems to go on. I do not work for Toshiba, but I am an Electrical Engineer. So I can honestly say, this laptop is a well built, great value, comes with everything as promised and is better than my $1000.00 Dell Laptop. This laptop does everything!!!! And for the record, the hard drive say's 640 GB which when the operating software (read only) is subtracted, when pressing my computer it will display appproximately 622 GB, not 640. it's not a mistake, just only displays data size that can actually be used. Also for the record, Toshiba is a major manufacturer of Hard Drives. In my line of work, many of the desktop computers have toshiba hardrives in them. As a whole I have not seen many problems with them. Compared with a lot of other Manufacturers of computers, I doubt there are many that can actually say they use their own components in the finished product! In fsct if I remember correctly, when repairing one of my Dell laptops it had a Toshiba Hard Drive installed in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars LEMON - DON'T BUY, January 14, 2012
Here is the deal. I got the laptop a week ago. It worked fine, speedy, no problem.

Today, the Toshiba software told me that it needed to install a bios update. I said, ok...the update failed...when the computer rebooted, it did not load...I just got a blank screen. I called Toshiba tech support who told me to ship the laptop back to them at my cost. They told me I had no option to take it to a service center and that it would take 10 working days to be repaired.

I will go through but I WILL NEVER BUY A TOSHIBA LAPTOP AGAIN.

Save yourselves the grief...buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Dell, November 13, 2011
This laptop not only works great but has performed perfectly. Have always been a Dell customer however recently their quality has gone down. When looking for a replacement this Toshiba was not only more reasonably priced than most it had all the features we needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly suggest buying the 3rd party warranty, January 6, 2012
This machine serves the purpose for which it was purchased; knocked off a star due to Toshiba's warranty which costs money to utilize and is not stated in their literature.

This is the 5th Toshiba laptop I have purchased and probably the 10th counting the purchases I have directly influenced for family and friends. It was purchased for my teenage daughter to use primarily for online coursework but also to rip dvds and record music. Got it for $399 on a Gold Box deal so I am happy with the price.

Removed all the trialware and installed my own firewall/antivirus software, created restore disks and it works wonderfully for its stated purpose. The size is rather large - we had not seen this in stores and were a little surprised with the width of this thing. But the display is beautiful and it did at least barely fit the backpack purchased for it to take back and forth to school. This isn't a machine one would want to carry a lot but my daughter is comfortable with it.

About 3 weeks into owning it the system one evening refused to boot up. At this point it had never left our house, moved only once from the dining room table where I set it up to my daughter's desk. I was able to use a linux usb boot to salvage the few files on it, then tried the built in restore partition. No luck; errors all over the place. Next I tried the restore disks I had created; no luck - they were incomplete (only made 2 when it should have been 5). So I called Toshiba. The technician was quite polite and did not talk down to me, he quickly agreed that the hard drive was bad. I asked if they could ship me a replacement as that is something I am quite comfortable doing and he said that was not possible. So I have 3 choices: for $25 they will send me a box to ship my machine to the service center, for $30 I can drop it off at UPS to have them ship it, or I can ship myself and even though I use the original box the machine came in I have no guarantee that they will accept the shipment if it is damaged. I chose the $30 option. To their credit Toshiba kept me informed every step, and though the service happened over the Christmas holidays turnaround was reasonably quick. I am still feeling burned that it cost me $30 to get the unit serviced when it's only 3 weeks old and under warranty. Should've purchased the SquareTrade Warranty (which I have since done).

Bottom line: test everything (I made new rescue disks and tested them), make your rescue disks, and purchase some sort of warranty. I still feel Toshiba makes a quality product, I am just very disappointed in how the warranty was honored and feel misled there.

UPDATE March 28: Hard drive has died again. Not sure if the drive in the machine is the original or a replacement (refurbished) one. Guess I'll try the SquareTrade Warranty this time. At least it won't cost me as much to ship it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightening deal for 399.99 !!! Best purchase ever, November 17, 2011
I bought this laptop just now for 399.99 with no tax from Amazon's lightening deal. Early Thanksgiving for me I guess :)

Looking at the configuration, this is a great laptop for under 400 bucks. I will be using it for heavy office work and I am a software developer. Probably I will be changing its OS to Ubuntu and dual boot it.

I will update how good the laptop performs when I receive it.

Great buy as of now!

Update 1: Amazing Amazon one day shipping for prime members! 3.99 24 hours shipping means exactly 24 hours for them. Got this laptop Saturday morning at 9 am. I configured it according to my needs. Removed a few preinstalled bloatware, which to my surprise, was not a lot. It ran smoothly and did not have any problem out of the box.

Playing movies, Youtube, facebook, etc is very easy for this beast. I am not even going to say how good this beast is at these everyday computing needs. As I mentioned earlier, I am a software developer and I usually do some medium to heavy computing. I installed a popular relational database management system server on it, Java IDE along with a heavyweight web servers for my work. This machine knows how to handle load! It runs smoothly without any hitch. While following some setup guides on youtube related to work and doing heavy computing on Java based IDE at the same time I had no issues whatsoever.

Something that I love about this laptop is its lightweight-ness. My HP-HDX16t has a lot of bulk to it. This one is very light for my needs. There may be lighter ones out there in market but I like how easy this is to lift up or put on my lap and work for hours.

It has a good battery backup as well. I did not do any load testing on battery but it ran well for a couple of hours without needing for charge and had good 40% left on it.

To be honest, this is a great laptop for under 500 right now. I got in a better deal but I wouldn't have mind spending that price on it. No tax on Amazon rocks. Plus their prime membership adds a smile to your face with a quick delivery. Good job Toshiba and Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Computer, January 31, 2012
Bought this computer as a Christmas gift for my son. One month later the computer told him, it needed a BIOS update, after the update the computer died, all he has is a black screen and breathing fan. The computer is totally dead. Still under warranty. When I called Toshiba Tech Support they couldn't give me an answer as to why they sent out this BIOS update. Found an online forum that lists numerious complaints about this update on this model computer. They wouldn't acknowledge the problem or even pay for shipping, said warranty doesn't cover shipping. Don't know when I'll see this computer again.