Published 22 months ago by Remlap

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy a Toshiba
Published 20 months ago by Toshiba sux

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly powerful computer with a few nagging problems..., November 10, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite L855-S5244 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mercury Silver) (Personal Computers)
When I first bought the Toshiba Satellite in the summer of 2012, it was the most powerful computer at Best Buy. This computer was marketed at $850, but was only $750 at that time. Even at the discounted price, this is a wonderful computer. The Toshiba anti-theft and virus software has gotten me out of many problems that killed off my previous computers. It is very fast, and very reliable. The computer screen is beautiful, the number pad is a great addition, and the hardrive protection is wonderful. However, it isn't flawless. On more than one occasion, this computer has overheated due to it's metal body. The computer will automatically shut off protecting it, which is good, but the fact that it does it at all, isn't good. I've had this issue with my Xbox where it'd do that and turn off randomly during a game. It's worse with this because I use my computer for important things, like generating essays. Another problem is that the trackpad is very glitchy. I'd definitely reccomend a USB plugin mouse for this. I've only gotten the bluescreen once, and that was due to a software issue from one of the programs I've installed on here not being configured properly. So if you want a cheap and fast computer, I'd reccomend this over the MacBook Pro any day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy a Toshiba, December 23, 2012
After careful research, on October 24, 2012, I bought online from Toshiba Direct a Toshiba Satellite L850 customized laptop for roughly $844 with taxes. I received it 2 weeks later but was out of town on work, so when the package was officially opened, it was after the 15 day "full refund" time period. What irony?! Well, I opened it, it worked fine the first time and the next morning, when turning on again, I got the "blue screen" treatment that so many other unhappy Toshiba buyers have experienced. I called Toshiba and got the scripted customer service replies for the next few days with no resolve. To be clear, I said I want to return it each time because I knew from former reviews that this was not going to just go away. No one helped at Toshiba's customer or tech service phone support and when I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told they would have to call me back within 2 business days. Seriously? Well, that also didn't happen. So, I've now had the Toshiba laptop opened and out of the box for officially 3 weeks at this point, can't return it for a full refund, can't get sales or tech support to solve the problem, and can't get upper level supervisors to speak to me. Any wonder how I feel about spending $844 on this piece of garbage? It get's better too. Toshiba now wants to charge me shipping costs to send the laptop to their repair facility and perhaps within 2 more weeks, they'll tell me all of this is NOT under warranty and for a mere $200 more, they can fix it. Well, I decided I wasn't going to give them the option to fail me yet again. I took the laptop to a STORE (Best Buy) and spoke face to face with a PERSON (in their Geek Squad) and they ran a diagnostic in 1 day and yes, $200 later, fixed the blue screen problem and removed the spyware and adware that was also on the system too. One more thing; this is the first review I've ever written. Spending the five minutes of time to write this review will be worthwhile only if other online buyers don't also get fooled into wasting their time or money buying a Toshiba.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great toshiba hardware, filled with bloatware, December 10, 2012
I bought this as a desktop-replacement for my wife for $460 Nov 2012. Not sure why the price is higher now. You can find a higher performing toshiba than this for $680.

PROS:
Quality and durable hardware.
Textured D-Pad
Moderate windows 7 performance

CONS:
Be prepared to uninstall 10+ preinstalled toshiba bloatware.
Hassled constantly to purchase an antivirus program when Microsoft Security Essentials provides it for free.

Basic no-frills laptop that's great after an hour of uninstalling programs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Adequate, September 27, 2012
I like it. Awesome for the price. Feels cheap but acceptable given the price. Looks very good though. If you are looking for the best laptop under 500, and don't want a huge laptop, this is the one to get

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba satellite computer, September 29, 2012
This Toshiba laptop is a great value. I am very pleased with its performance and speed. I would purchase this product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this product so far, August 8, 2012
This product has been great so far. Set up was very easy. Very fast, great video. Fairly priced. Fast delivery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, fragile structure, very expensive, Windows 8 the worst windows. Stay away from this model., December 12, 2013
I did buy a Toshiba model L855-S5244 last July 2012 @ TiguerDirect.com as NEW laptop. Since I started to use, it is not fastest as the processor i7 should be. After 3 months using it, the screen was broken easily. and the factory has not warranty for it. The screen appears to be super extremely and fragile thin glass. If you have this model, my advice is never touch the screen. After I replace the screen, I can see the structure of the computer is too fragile. I never had been bought a thin and fragile laptop. It is incredible and you have to handle it as a super fragile like a crystal the complete laptop. Please stay away from this model I did pay $800 and it is the most expensive laptop and the worst quality laptop that I had been bought in my life. After 5 months I can not ask for my refund, but I can aware you of this model. I won't buy never ever in my life another TOSHIBA laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present for the parents, September 23, 2013
I bought this laptop as a christmas present for my parents back in 2012 so far the laptop has run like a champ no issues and my folks love it, widows 7 is great and I love the fact that it came with a few bloatware. It is light enough and the keyboard buttons are pretty sturdy and quiet

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Toshiba, July 26, 2013
I purchased this laptop months ago and my daughter who is in her second year of college still likes it. I searched for msny hours until I decided on this laptop. No regrets months later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it now, December 30, 2012
I have forgotten how cool a ten key number pad can be on a laptop. Like bilt in Skype camera

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›