5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Laptop
Published 23 months ago by Mrs_G

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great.
Pros:
Decent Performance
Beautiful screen

Cons:
Battey life
Screen is much too reflective for outdoor use
Sound

Summary:
Published on July 2, 2012 by Nick the tall

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Laptop, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite L855D-S5242 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mercury Silver) (Personal Computers)
This the 3rd Toshiba Laptop that I have bought for my household! The 1st one was 18 months ago, the 2nd for my daughter for x'mas and this last one for myself! When I was looking at computers I wanted fast, memory, and storage. The L855D-S5242 delivered on all accounts. Getting started was simple and I was up and running via WI-FI in less than 30 minutes! The Fn keys, which also serve to adjustment various operating parameters is really slick! Screen brightness, Speaker Vol, << < Pause > >> the player all via the Fn keys! I prefer the Numeric Keypad on the computer and there is plenty of room. Actually, the keyboard is not much different than a full size keyboard. Having large hands and fingers I don't have any problem moving about the keys while typing. The keys have a soft, yet deliberate feel to them, almost a very soft click! It's not a super small laptop and it's not the larger one that I bought for my daughter but I find it perfect for traveling and connecting to WIFIs. I give this 5 stars! If it had one drawback it would be lack of software installed. It's got all the basics and I guess Microsoft stopped putting Microsoft Works on with Windows 7. I would thing this is their push for folks to purchase MS Word! I would definitely purchase another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this laptop, November 3, 2012
Had to upgrade laptop for my work and wanted something that could still handle entertainment and basic gaming duties while on the road. Windows performance index score is 5.9, but only due to the slow hard drive that comes with the laptop. All other components are rated a 6.7, except the ram which is a 7.3. Screen is very good with crisp text and vivid colors. Have played several FPS and racing games and haven't had any issues. Used the HDMI out to watch videos in a hotel and it was perfect. Ordered a Samsung SSD to install which will take care of the slow index and expect this computer to perform even better. All of my work is done virtually so the WIFI has gotten a workout and hasn't had any issues. Wish that they would have put a dual band adapter in the system but it is only a 2.4 ghz. There is no Bluetooth and it does not have the antennas to add one internally, already had a dongle so I just plug it in when I need to use Bluetooth. One thing I noticed and didn't like was that there is no locking clasp for the display, it must use a magnetic or other internal sensor to detect the lid being opened and closed. I had the option enabled to turn the computer on when the screen is opened and somehow it did this in my bag while traveling. Really am enjoying this laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., July 2, 2012
Pros:
Decent Performance
Beautiful screen

Cons:
Battey life
Screen is much too reflective for outdoor use
Sound

Summary:
I use this mostly use this as a replacement for my previous desktop which quit working on me. It offers comparable preformance to my last PC. It gets a 5.9 on the windows experience index (held back by hard disk write speed). The 6gb of ram is great for a mobile device. I don't play many PC games but in my experience it runs minecraft smoothly, granted that's not saying much. On average I get about 5 hours of constant use before I really start needing a charger.
Also, the speakers on this rig are HORRIBLE. Everything comes out bizarrely squeaky and hollow sounding. This isn't a problem for me because I have it hooked up to my surround sound speakers.

All in all, it's a decent machine but there's better out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another solid Toshiba laptop, February 8, 2013
I was looking for Windows 7 and upgrade ability of the RAM to 16 GB and found it with this great laptop. As a new insurance agent I was told Windows 8 won't work with the software in the business. This is one quick and powerful machine. Thanks Toshiba and Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen cracked without being dropped, August 21, 2012
Do not buy Toshiba. Screen just all of a sudden cracked. Bought from Best Buy and they refused to even look at it because they said Toshiba was the only company that would not accept them sending it. Toshiba wanted to deal directly with the customer. Toshiba won't replace or fix even though it was within warranty. Spent a LOT of time on the phone trying to get them to fix my computer and they said the warranty does not cover a cracked screen no matter what. Horrible computer, even worse customer service.

See link for others who have had the same problem:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, just what I needed, January 16, 2013
Errin W. "errin" (Lakewood, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
This plays all the music and videos I want seamlessly. The screen resolution is great- images are beautiful. My previous computer was so old it really made me gain an appreciation for the miracle of not stalling out all the time & needing to restart.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COMPUTER, August 3, 2013
I LOVE THIS COMPUTER. IT HAS WINDOWS 7 WHICH IS WHAT I'M USED TO. THE PRICE WAS GOOD. WOULD RECOMEND TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO LEARN WINDOWS 8.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charger port already broken!, December 3, 2012
So I've had the laptop for over a year now and the port where you plug in the charger is loose and the cord is constantly falling out! This is really annoying. You have to sit still or the cord will fall out and it has to be in there just right to charge.

Other than that for daily use I've liked the laptop thus far. I mainly just use it for web browsing.
But after having this laptop i'll go back to mac!

Rate and Discover Movies