Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 19, 2012
If you are an Amazon review nazi, this review is probably not for you, but rather the few folks who are sincereley looking at this laptop and just want to see what a real person who bought the thing thinks. To anyone else, read on...

**************************************************************************************************************************
The quick and dirty is that we like this laptop. We bought it for my wife's dad and he loves it. He is able to open multiple windows and tabs on the internet(something his previous computer just could not handle) all the while using MS Office at the same time.
These tasks and storing family movies and photo's is all he ever wanted his computer to do and this laptop does it flawlessly. The fact that he can now take all of this with him on the go, verses having to wait until he is at home in his office, is just a bonus. If you only need a computer for these things, then rest assured this is a good buy and you will be happy with this laptop.

Ok, for those budget minded people who may be interested on how we came to buy this laptop over the endless sea of others, this part may be for you.

When searching for a laptop I narrowed down what was important to us to a few things. All of which are things you can not change after the fact. Screen size, processor type, and max supported memory (ram). Everything else is generally easy to replace or install with a little research and know how. So when compairing prices between computers, this one was chosen against all other types in the 17" screen or greater, quad core CPU, 8gb or more max supported ram types.

We shopped BB, TigerD, NewE, CircutC, Dell, HP, Gateway, and Acer and feel confident we got the best compairible deal out there barring any promotional event that may be going on for a NEW laptop. If you do not care about upgrading to windows 8 on the cheap in the future, you can get a refurbished laptop at some of the fore mentioned shops with the same specs for a slight discount.

Gamers:

Although this laptop does not have a high end card, for casual games its not too shabby either. The windows index score marked it at 6.7. My aging mid range "gamer" laptop of 6 years ago that I paid $1600.00 for (nvidia 8600gtm, 2.5 intel duelcore t9300, 4gb ddr2) only scores a 4.5. I played lOTR online, WOW, AOE online, all on hi or maxed (sacrificing shading/lighting for draw distance)while using a chat server with no problems. This laptop has a Radeon HD 7640G which notebook check rates near the top of a class 3 card. (class 1 highest, class 5 slowest) My nvidia 8600GTM is upper middle of class 4 now. Just throwing that out there to the few who may care.

Other thoughts:
I agree with one of the reviewers about the screen. At 17" the 1600 x 900 is not the greatest. But it doesn't look bad either. You may notice you are not getting the best of image when watching a movie, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal.

As for the reviewer not happy with the keyboard. Me and my father-in-law found the keys to be responsive and rather liked having the space between the keys. They do feel different from what I am used too, but it did not hinder at all and I believe it wouldn't take long to get used to it. He has yet to complain about anything so far and removing him from the laptop has proven to be quite a chore.

Well, hope this has helped someone.
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
I gave 4 stars because the AMD drivers aren't available for Toshiba (at least this model)

Let me tell you that 17 inch is quite amazing, and keep this in mind: for this screen size you'd better get a 1080 resolution instead of 1600 the image isn't as vivid as you could expected, but is very fast (i change the original 6GB for Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1600), the Toshiba value pack is a very good part of the software.

I did quite a research to buy (I'm a Informatics Engineer) and for the price and the memory ad, this was the best choice i could find.
on January 9, 2014
Great laptop because it has Win 7 on it. But after I read that the NSA was installing spying malware on every laptop sold online. I reformatted mine and all seemed fine except a by the 7th month my hard drive died. Since this was a refurbished unit I was not able to get a replacement HD. Now 2 weeks later the screen is flickering badly and I cant seem able to stop the flickering on and off. Time to take it back for a repair. This Toshiba model seems to be worthless compared to my same model 3 years earlier. Except that laptop has a Intel Core2 Duo. This newer once has a AMD A8. So I expected a lot better performance. But with so many issues it doesn't seem faster or better. A year and a half later....after 1 years worth of use at home. The keyboard is the real problem now. The cursor tends to jump at any point and often if your typing and not paying attention. Any thing you typed before will be erased and that is very frustrating. I been told by more than one repair shop don't buy Toshiba Satellite laptops. They are the worst cheaply made no durability laptops. Mine still works after installing a 120 SSD and new Win7 O.S. This my last Toshiba and next time I will buy HP or Lenovo. Update: 11/11/2015. This laptop still functions but some of the cosmetics on the hinges of the screen have fallen off. Still works but this is a subpar laptop for what it was supposed to be. Doesn't feel like a fast laptop even after installing a Solid State Drive. I would realistically give this laptop a 2.5 stars out of 5.
on October 23, 2012
I got this laptop for a great price a couple months ago, and have been loving it ever since.

The 17.3-inch screen is great, I'm not lugging it around anywhere, it just moves between my desk and my couch, so it's great to have such a large screen. I watch a lot of TV and movies on the screen and the resolution has been perfectly great, if I hadn't read other reviews mentioning image resolution I never would have thought twice. I can't comment on anything gaming-related.

Other reviews also mention how the keyboard is a bit wonky, and the keys are oddly spaced out. This caused me to stumble a little for about the first 10 minutes, then my fingers quickly got over it and haven't noticed since.

This laptop was by far the best deal I found for specs/price ratio, and it's been running great so far. A fantastic deal for around $500!
on July 29, 2013
Way overpriced, but if you want win7os you make the sacrifice. Battery life is another story must buy new battery look for a longer life battery, and be ready to remove alota junk that Toshiba slapped on this thing. Save yourself the trouble and don't try to pay for the microshaft office, they gladly try to download a newer version that guess what only work for win8os but they will give your money back. News flash the anti virus (I wont name names) starts with N,will hose the loptop the first time you try to remove it. These laptops are all disposable so if your buying status this one is right for you, if your buying anything else save your money.
on February 5, 2014
i like it for its big screen. it's also fast, which is good enough reason for this product to earn 3 stars from me.
i don't like the keyboard, it's hard to type.
the buttons at the touchpad is small, sometimes it's confusing if you're on the button or already at the edge of the laptop.
the downside of the big screen is that the laptop is heavy, it's clunky.
battery life i think is just 1 to 2 hours.
on July 29, 2013
Positive:
1.- The price.
2.- Performance is relatively OK on Windows 7. Enough for the purpose the laptop was intended for (home use).
Negative:
1.- The AC/DC charger stop working after a small fall to the floor.
2.- The display is big, but the quality is bad. The colors are opaque and the video looks like being played on an old VGA monitor.

The moral is you want a good product, pay the price. I can't recommend this producti.
on May 8, 2013
The computer was bought for my dad. He's not a heavy graphics user and is generally gentle on his machines. About six weeks after purchase, he said that it would not charge. This has happened intermittently and I've found that sometimes taking the battery out, plugging it in, starting it up and then replacing the battery gets it charging. NOT COOL! The 30 day replacement period from Amazon is up, so i'm looking at the manufacturers warranty...the Toshiba website made me throw my hands up in despair. Next time dude is getting a Dell...bought directly from Dell.
on January 1, 2013
I replaced a Toshiba Satellite that was eight years old with this one. I have had it for about a month and have had no problems. It meets my goal of having a basic second laptop that gets light to moderate use. I am pleased with the display, as well as sound and video output. Setting it up was effortless and I look forward to using this machine for many years as a spare or backup pc. I would buy another Toshiba Satellite when the time comes to replace this one.
on July 4, 2013
I have had no problems with this laptop at all and have found it a delight to use. I have yet to find anything I consider to be a negative. Runs fast with no errors or problems and everything works as expected.