4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, with a couple of caveats
I've had several Toshiba laptops over many years. This one is the latest. So far, it is living up to expectations (speed, features . . .). A couple of caveats:

Published 2 months ago by Kenneth Umbach

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Flaws
I got my computer less then a week ago, beautiful computer worked fine for a couple days. Then it stop holding a charge It would die after being charged to 100%. Then the keyboard starts to go out and you can't type any sentences at all. Shame i spent over 1200 in software and accesories and hope i can get this issue resolve.
Published 1 month ago by Danny Perez

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, with a couple of caveats, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite S75 17.3" Laptop Computer, Intel 4th generation Quad Core i7-4700QM 2.4GHz, 16GB Memory, 1TGB Hard Drive, Wireless, HDMI, Windows 8 (Personal Computers)

1. I find the touchpad more difficult than the one on my last Toshiba (one I've had for about five years). I never use wireless mouse on the older one, but on this one, had to resort to it immediately. With practice, I'm getting better with this touchpad. Maybe I can find out how to adjust sensitivity so that I don't have to press so hard.

2. The DVD drive requires very precise placement of the disc and more pressure than I am used to in order to properly insert a disc. If not firmly on the spindle, and tilted the wrong way, the disc can slide above the drive enclosure and become lodged inside the machine. (I had to have a computer shop open the case to rescue my disc. I'm speaking from experience here.) Button that opens the drive is hard to find and push. But that is also an advantage, as it is unlikely that you'll accidentally push it.

Those are small quibbles. My old MS wireless mouse works fine with the new laptop, and now I know to be more careful when inserting a disc, and to double-and triple-check before closing the tray.

The machine came with Windows 8.1. THAT was an adjustment from the Win Vista I've used for years. (Windows is a Microsoft issue, not a Toshiba issue, of course.) But after a couple of days of learning mostly by trial and error, I've got it working comfortably enough, with task bar at the bottom of the screen, the apps I use pinned there, and reasonable efficiency in finding files.

The setup was straightforward, but a caution: before you turn it on the first time, put the laptop on a good table, with a good chair, and room nearby for a (paper) notepad, and allow enough time to work through the required steps. Write down passwords and other essential information, and type carefully. (I cannot fix one typo I made during the process. Fortunately, it is embedded in a relatively obscure feature I'll probably never use anyway.) The machine immediately found my wireless network (and immediately, to my surprise, found my wireless hotspot when I turned that on). It also immediately found my wireless printer.

The machine seems to be a bit strange about the sleep mode . . . sometimes still being awake (or waking up), and running down the battery when you don't expect that. Removing the wireless mouse USB connector wakes up the laptop from sleep mode, even if it is closed. Just be aware. Not a deal killer -- just something to watch for. Might want to fully power off when you need to be sure battery does not run down when you are not using the machine for an extended time.

The nominal 1TB hard drive is of course less than 1TB. But by now we are used to capacities being overstated. Close enough for government work. (And about four times the capacity of my older Toshiba laptop.)

Keyboard -- I was concerned that it might be a hard adjustment to new keyboard. Nope. No problem at all. I just need to remember that I actually have a real numeric keypad now, and use it. Too used to not having one.

External drive (which I used to facilitate transferring files) worked fine with the new machine. Ditto USB memory stick (thumb drive).

So -- recommended, especially for the price. But I recommend buying a good wireless mouse (and a mouse pad) to go with it. And if you are new to Win 8.1, expect some learning time. (In my case, three or four days did the trick for the essentials. The finer points can come later.)

BTW FWIW, the company that sold me the machine (via Amazon) had it in the hands of FedEx on Monday, the day after I ordered it, and it was delivered cross-country by Saturday of the same week.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this one over others I have used, January 23, 2014
I have had others and they do not compare to this laptop. I love its lightweight, long battery life. Have had this over a year and haven't had a problem yet. Love the big screen and the nice size keyboard. would recommend to anyone. I use this daily for work and college with no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Above average laptop - excellant price., February 5, 2014
This is not my first Toshiba laptop and prior satisfaction with Toshiba was my main reason for deciding on this unit. In addition my son helped me find this unit at an excellent price. I'm still learning the finer points of operating this laptop and probably will continue to learn as time goes by. As with prior purchases of Toshiba I see a well above average product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Flaws, February 17, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite great, March 3, 2014
my only real complaint is that the touchpad doesn't really work very well
it actually stopped working last night, so i'm resorting to my wireless mouse, which is recommended anyway

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to get usedd to, March 14, 2014
I was looking for a window's 8 computer for a while and then I saw this Toshiba laptop. It was the right price with the features I was looking for, specifically quad core. It takes time getting used to the new windows. It definitely is different to previous windows, but once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy working with it. One thing: There is no mention of it on the product, but according to Intel, it is a quad core.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new computer, March 6, 2014
I bought this one because my old IBM had 1 gig of memory and it felt like days have passed waiting to move to the next screen. This thing here when I hit the button its moving fast. I'm very happy with this Toshiba and the hardest thing is trying to figure out window , im old school.

1.0 out of 5 stars Choose another brand -- Hard drive failed after one year, February 14, 2014
J. L. Adams (Minneapolis MN) - See all my reviews
I am extremely disappointed with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. The hard drive failed after one year. Toshiba customer service is absolutely horrible! The worst customer service I have ever experienced. Just stay away from Toshiba. They do not stand behind their product. You are better off with another brand. I will certainly never purchase a Toshiba product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this laptop!, April 6, 2014
Maggie (Aloha, OR, US) - See all my reviews
This is amazing; had an older model of this laptop a couple years ago before it was stolen. So happy I got another one, plus the price couldn't be beat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mach 5 acceleration at your fingertips ! A Quality Top Performer from My IS Department experience, recommendation !, February 12, 2014
Incredible performance ! Everyone I see, especially the staff at a nearby Medical teaching Hospital, professionals who only need / deserve the Best of what Toshiba has to offer, when they look over my shoulder & see the Lightning fast response, hear the RMS Harmon Kardon Speakers, can hardly believe that this is anything short of a Quality replacement for a High Performance, Replacement for a Desktop. I worked 4 years in a top end Miami Florida Hi-Fi Associates store on Biscayne Blvd. doing Stock status / Inventory control for 5 stores and a Warehouse - specializing in Macintosh High Quality Systems, this is a setup that you will NEVER be disappointed with =
Tune your Windows 8.1 system like I have. In Task Manager, disable in the 'Start up' Tab, all of the unneeded Automatic update services, you will have a mind blowing less than 3% used of RAM resources and get ready to use ...
"Top Gun" G Forces acceleration. Your "Need for Speed" is right here !!! Step in, buckle up and hang on tight - you will need a burst of oxygen too !!!

ARRAY(0xa387030c)