Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on November 1, 2012
I wanted a machine that could not only handle regular internet browsing and netflix, but also some light gaming. The AMD 7670m is a higher-level budget card, and seems to do OK with the games that I play. So, between hardware offerings and price, I settled on this machine. I returned the first one because the battery wouldn't take a charge (of course, Amazon.com took care of me immediately!) The second one arrived 2 days later. Same issue! I called Toshiba to see if I might have been missing something. They said "Your laptop seems to be perfectly fine. We'll send you a replacement battery." Two bad ones in a row seemed fishy. I sent it back to Amazon and went with an ASUS.
on September 12, 2012
This replaces a laptop that was stolen, but the performance of this Toshiba is hands down better than the Samsung I had previously. I was cautious about other reviews that said the laptop runs hot, but I have not had that issue. Love the look and feel and the keyboard/keypad is very comfortable for typing. No issues so far over the past month of ownership.
on November 13, 2012
I searched for quite a bit before selecting this computer because it had everything I was looking for for a pretty good price. I've been using it for two weeks now and am pleased with it's speed (I did upgrade to 16gb of RAM for less than 50 bucks). Overall it fits my needs in every way.
on August 29, 2012
Along with this purchase, I also purchased 16GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD.

Corsair 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9)
Corsair 120 GB Force Series 3 SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F120GB3A-BK

As soon as it came out of the box, I flipped it over and installed the upgrades. It was easy. Remove one panel held in with one screw and a few snaps and the hard drive and RAM are easily accessed.

The Xubuntu 12.04 install went very smoothly. Except for the Atheros AR8161 Ethernet and the Realtek 8723 wireless hardware. These two devices required some downloading, compiling, and installing of driver modules. With a little googling about this wasn't exceptionally hard.

Pros:
16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Intel i5 2.5Ghz for less than $1000
Easy hardware upgrade
Linux friendly.

Cons:
Don't care much for the numeric keypad
High gloss screen
CD drive door a little loose
Bezel around screen a little loose
Battery drains fast.

Minus one star for needing to buy the upgrades separately.
Minus one star for the above cons.
Plus one star for being Linux friendly.
Minus one star for not shipping with Linux pre-installed.

Overall, with the right upgrades, this is a satisfying working/hobbyist machine for less than $1000.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse