4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value in a laptop under $1000
Published on July 10, 2012 by Ted Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Golawful laptop
In less than 2 years I've had to do repairs on the cooling system, right now it's down for the 4th time.
What a waste of money this was.
Published 20 days ago by James R. MacFarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value in a laptop under $1000, July 10, 2012
Ted Blue (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite S855-S5268 15.6-Inch Laptop (Ice Blue) (Personal Computers)
Just purchased this laptop, and am impressed with the overall value. Most other laptops with these features are in the $1200-$1400 range. I am a long time Toshiba owner and upgraded from a 5 year old Toshiba A9 to this model. Easily twice as fast, even faster after I upgraded the 5400 RPM HD to an SSD drive. Windows Experience Index is 6.8 after installing the SSD (was 5.9 prior to the drive upgrade) - here are the specs:

Processor: 7.6
Memory (RAM): 7.7
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming graphics: 6.8
Primary hard disk: 7.8 (was 5.9 with original HD)

Note that the specs on the Amazon listing show the memory as 1333 MHz but this is not correct, the memory is actually 1600 MHz. There are two 4GB memory sticks, so if you want more memory you will need to replace one or both of these.

I also noticed that this laptop weighs about 1.5 pounds less than my older Toshiba. I wanted a smaller (14") screen to make the laptop lighter, but this one is quite comfortable to handle, glad I went for the larger 15.6" screen. The widescreen format makes this laptop wider than my old laptop. Most of the edges are nicely rounded, no sharp corners, very comfortable to pick up and move it around.

Other notable items: the finish looks like brushed aluminum, does not show fingerprints at all. Screen is super-bright, sharp and clear (brightness is of course adjustable). Keyboard is awesome except for the placement and size of the arrow keys, they are smaller and moved to the left, will take some getting used to, no big deal. Keys are large and solid, typing is quiet and clean. The touchpad is about twice the size as on my old laptop, is multi-touch and very smooth to operate. Touchpad mouse buttons are a bit noisy but this may just be because the are new.

Not much bloatware, uninstalled Norton first thing but nothing else. Still installing software, will test graphics editing in PhotoShop shortly but videos look fantastic. Would have liked Intel Wireless Display, but it has an HDMI port if needed.

Overall the best value in a laptop for $900 that I could find, and an excellent upgrade from my aging A9 laptop.

UPDATES

- You can create the recovery disks with a utility supplied with the laptop. The utility requires 5 DVDs to create the recovery set, or 2 double sided DVDs.

- At some point a Register This Computer window will pop up. If you go through the registration process, you will receive a coupon code good for 15% off Toshiba accessories, and another for 20% off of the extended warranty service. The 20% coupon lets you purchase the 2nd and 3rd year warranty for about $103 net, this basically a two year extension of the existing one year manufacturer's warranty. This must be purchased within 30 days of purchasing the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value. No User's Guide as of July 4, 2012, July 3, 2012
My experience with Toshiba more than five years ago had been terrific. They honored the warranty, replaced entire motherboard, and had my repaired laptop delivered on my porch within 72 hours.

On the basis of that experience I ordered the Satellite S855-S5268 WHICH FOR THE PRICE IS A GOOD VALUE CONSIDERING THE PROCESSOR, MEMORY, AND FEATURES. However, the machine is built less solidly than the old Toshiba laptops. Plastic bezel around the monitor made crackling noises when opening the lid because it was not properly snapped into place at the factory - easily fixed. Overall construction OK, assuming the owner is not a perfectionist.

Additionally, as of July 4, 2012, no User's Guide was available for this model. This is a crucial missing element.

In the accompanying QUICK START BROCHURE, enclosed in the box, they specifically recommend creating a recovery media. Quoting,

"It is strongly recommended that you create recovery media before using your computer for the first time. This will enable you to return your system to its out-of-box state, if necessary ... For complete detailed information on how to create recovery media, see the `Creating Recovery media' section in the electronic User's Guide.
For information on how to access your electronic User's Guide, see the `Need Help?' section"

Referring to the "Need Help?" section, they state,

"To access the electronic User's Guide, click the Start button and, in the search field, type User's Guide.
In the list that appears above, click on your selection ... The Users Guide will be automatically downloaded and saved on your computer. You can access it at a later time ... "

Following the above instructions carefully, a window appeared on the screen with the message:

"No matching User's Guide available for this product."

Visited the TOSHIBA web site and located the help section for this particular model, only to discover that, NO User's Guide was available, please visit this site at a later time.

IN OTHER WORDS, AS OF JULY 4, 2012 THEY HAVE PRODUCED A COMPUTER WITH NO USER'S GUIDE AVAILABLE.

If a User's Guide becomes available in the future, this machine at $899.99 will be a real good value. I will then change my rating to five stars. Any readers' assistance about availability of such guide, will be greatly appreciated.
07/11/2012
In reality, a User's Guide is almost unnecessary if one possesses a descent Windows 7 book. However, IT IS a matter of principle, in my view.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this computer. All works perfectly well. I followed one fellow commenter's suggestion and have created a Recovery Media (and a System Repair Disc).
07/12/2012
I couldn't resist the temptation. A few days ago I ordered 2 X 8GB 1600Mhz memory modules - the exact one listed on Toshiba's web site for this model: Corsair Vengeance Laptop Memory Kit 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 PC3 12800 (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10).

Toshiba was out of it. I ordered it from Amazon at the usual Amazon competitive price. Just finished installing it. AWESOME! However, totally unnecessary for a low-to-moderate power user like myself. Nevertheless, I just wanted to splurge and max out on memory.

CAUTION - The back cover is difficult and tricky to remove. Hard to figure out after loosening the screw, as it seems there is no way to lift it up or slide it out. Too much force would break it, too gentle of an effort will not suffice to get it off. Need to apply force persistently but carefully. It seems it was made to stay rigidly closed once snapped into place at the factory. A User's Guide would have helped here.

If you have not installed laptop memory previously, it would be very helpful to watch one or two short videos on the subject. The process is simple and easy. Just Google "How to install laptop memory".

Remove the battery first, then press and hold down the on/off switch for two seconds to clear any residual charge. Ground yourself to release static charge - touch a metal faucet, for example - and proceed.

As tricky as it was to remove the back cover without breaking, snapping it back in place was painless and straight forward.
07/27/2012
Continuing to enjoy this terrific machine. I just noticed, Amazon.com has reduced the price by $50.00 to $849.99 which makes it even a greater value.
Amazon's prices often change in either direction more than once for the same product, depending on several factors. It could return to its original price, or it could be reduced further. This has been my experience with other products which I have been following over time.

one "complaint" I would have is that for my usage the battery lasts only slightly over two hours.
Two comments: First, I am using the computer in full power mode - brightest screen setting, etc. Secondly, this is the regular battery, not the heavier duty one they make, I believe, with more cells.

One more observation: This is a full size laptop, not an ultrabook, which is precisely what I needed for my purposes. I am very happy with it.

I have included two Toshiba links about this computer as well as complete specifications - PLEASE SEE COMMENT 7.

NOTE:
Toshiba's web site specifications - (first of the two links, SEE COMMENT 7) - state that the memory is 8GB DDR3 1600MHz.
On the 1st page of Toshiba's PDF specifications sheet - (second link, COMMENT 7) - the memory is listed as 1333MHz.

THE UPGRADE MEMORY recommended on the 2nd page of same PDF specifications sheet, is listed as 1600MHz; Which is the maximum that can be installed on this machine.

Slightly confusing. Nevertheless to the average user the difference should be indiscernible and inconsequential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop PC, August 22, 2012
I have already got my new PC (It is the first one for me).. It is great...
The screen resolution is very good at 720p, I connected a HDTV with full HD, the integrated speakers are so good,
the keyboard looks nice and the Brushed Aluminum Finish is completely nice! The only thing I am thinking to do
is to upgrade the hard disk to a SSD in order to decrease the boot time and load applications time... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Specs, Great Price, August 9, 2012
I've had this laptop for about a week now and I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted to buy a new laptop before going off to college. Naturally I did some research and this one had the best price for these specs (8 GB RAM, 750 GB hard drive, intel i7 processor). It's lightweight and quiet so I can take it into classes with me, yet the processing power is phenomenal. Most laptops this powerful sound like it has a turbine within it, churning and humming like a kid looking for attention. This beauty, however, is sleek and silent.

I am also a bit of a PC gamer. Tried a few games out and this laptop still delivers. It has a AMD Radeon 7670 graphics card, not the strongest on the market, but it's been more than enough for the games I've been playing. Running on the highest video settings I can play Borderlands and Civilization V better than my friend can on his Macbook Pro (a $2000 computer). I do suggest playing with a mouse, as the touch pad is a little too close for comfort to the WASD configuration on the keyboard.

Overall, fantastic. If I find something worth complaint I'll be sure to post it, but so far this laptop has well met my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so happy!, August 16, 2012
Great laptop. Awesome price. I immediately upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16GB and it's even better. I plan on adding a SSD very soon. But even without these add-ons - this laptop is wonderful!

Pros: the price, the quality, the speed, the ease of use, it's not a Samsung or a Dell so it works right out of the box without issue...

Cons: no owners manual (not even online, but oh well), the door to the RAM and HDD wasn't pushed down all the way (but that took 2 seconds to fix), the door to the RAM and HDD is really hard to get off, but oddly super easy to put back on. Minor things obviously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, July 10, 2012
Robin Maharaj (Miami, Florida, US) - See all my reviews
I just received my new laptop and I am honestly blown away. The price firstly awesome and of course the build quality exceeds what you may expect for the $900.00 price tag. The fact that I spent 4 days looking at various configurations that were all priced well over $1200.00 and then voila! The keyboard is nice and requires just a soft touch, the revised touch pad is awesome, the display is clear, clean and crisp.Performance is like that of a Boss 302 Mustang. Thank you Toshiba and Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Years Later, Still Does The Job, March 27, 2014
I bought this laptop a while ago and have enjoyed the machine. It hasn't had any problems running games or anything like that.

The four stars is for an overheating problem I was having, but it was a minor issue that I think had more to do with the ambient temperature of the room than the machine itself.

Overall, if you're looking for one of these secondhand (since I assume they aren't sold anymore), it's a fine machine and well worth what I paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop Computer, April 15, 2013
I was cautious to buy a factory refurbished computer but so far it has been excellent. I needed a more powerful computer to do multi-media presentations with. I have never had any problems with Toshiba laptops in the past and this one has been no different. It has worked exceedingly well. It has enough processing power with the i7 processor to get the job done. As a side note because of the processing power of this laptop it is not one to use on battery power for an extended period of time. It has a battery life of about 1 1/2 hours depending on what you are currently using the computer for and it is a fairly heavy laptop if you are thinking of mobility. For processor and memory intensive applications though it is an excellent workhorse that gets the job done without problems. I especially like that it had Windows 7 vs Windows 8 loaded. No defects or problems with anything on the laptop found.

1.0 out of 5 stars Golawful laptop, January 4, 2015
What a waste of money this was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 16, 2014
Nothing beats a toshiba..I use it for gaming only..and its wonderful