I bought this laptop during a Cyber Monday sale and I could not have been happier with the specs I got for the price, my purchase arrived on time and well packaged (as is standard with most items shipped via Amazon Prime). Now I will break down my experience with the laptop so far into pros and cons :

Pros:

Huge screen (17 inches), the core i7 CPU...
Published 22 months ago by S. Tripathy

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: laptop overheats!!!
I have this laptop about 50 days now. Since the beginning, when it was idle, the fan went into high gear every 5 minutes. The fan was very noisy at those times.
Yesterday, doing very light work on the laptop (turbo-tax), I had a warning:
System is overheating, stop all work immediately, shutdown the PC, and call tech support.
To add insult, Toshiba wanted...
Published 18 months ago by Carmi Gazit

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Satellite Laptop: Value for your money, Keyboard strenuous on your fingers, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite S875-S7370 17.3-Inch Laptop (Ice Blue Brushed Aluminum) (Personal Computers)

Pros:

Huge screen (17 inches), the core i7 CPU 3.4 GHz runs pretty much anything you throw at it (I got away with running Counter- Strike Source at maxed out settings at 113 frames per second, Adobe Illustrator seems to convert AI files into TIFF files pretty fast too and AutoCAD rendering is pretty swift [all these compared to my old Thinkpad]). So overall I am happy with the performance of this laptop.

Cons:

The huge screen is not amicable to angled viewing (i.e. if you change the viewing angle the images look like high contrast/low brightness images, even like photographic negatives sometimes).
The keyboard has strangely spaced keys (some are grouped in blocks that require you to have monstrous hands to switch across blocks).
Windows 8 installed on this laptop is a pain in the nose, it seems like an OS built for a tablet and is pretty inconvenient to operate without a touchscreen.

Overall this laptop provides great value for the money, hence I gave it a 4 star rating

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, it appears to be a solid laptop, December 25, 2012
I will only go over the the things I am not 100% happy with.

#1 is Windows 8. However, if you want a new laptop, buying one with Windows 8 is inevitable. Windows 8 is not bad. It just feels like a change I did not want to make.

#2 Battery Life. It is just okay. I do not let my Laptop go into any power save mode by closing the screen. If i close screen without putting it into a power save mode, it will be dead when I use it next. Regardless of that, regular use without being plugged in, it feels like it drains faster then i would like. I believe you are sacrificing battery life for screen size here. Screen size it worth it to me.

#3 When put into power save mode, there is a small white light that stays on. I find this annoying. There may be an option to stop this. I haven't checked yet.

#4 This is my biggest problem with the laptop. There F-keys are the Function keys. The Function keys are standard. Meaning: If you press F key it will do it functions. F2 is brightness down, F3 is brightness up. Only by pressing the FN key will they act as a normal F Key. ie. to close a window it is now Alt - FN - F4. (Instead of Alt - F4 which is customary)
There is an option to reverse this, otherwise i think i would have had to return the Laptop. However, the FN symbols on the keys are clearly visible and the F keys symbols are not visible at all.

Overall It is a solid laptop and I am happy with it.
If you do not read specs well, the big difference with this laptop is it does not include a video card. It has video from the motherboard. This laptop cannot run newer graphically intense games, but i have played Company of Heroes on it perfectly fine. I am positive it could run Word of Warcraft good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Satellite Notebook great!!!, November 27, 2012
Chris R. Schaefer (Hamilton, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This notebook is exceptional. I purchased this about a month ago, and it has been great. It is super fast, less than 45 seconds from the time you turn it on, until it is up & ready to go. Windows 8 is also terrific. It takes a little getting used to, but after that, it is great. Love all of the new tiles that are on the new start screen.

Exceptional notebook & operating system.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COMPUTER!!, January 6, 2013
I've gone through many laptops through the years and this one by far is my favorite. It took me a few tutorials to learn the new windows 8 but once I got the hang of it I wouldn't go back to the older windows versions. The screen is large and crystal clear. When I watch TV on it I swear it's like watching the show on my large flat screen HD TV in my living room. It blew me away! The keyboard is great and the arm rest is large and comfortable. Has all I wanted and SO much more! Arrived earlier then expected too. If you want a beautiful screen with fantastic internal programs, power, memory etc, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, December 19, 2012
Ariel Avalon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I simply love this laptop. The brushed finish on the outside is beautiful. The laptop runs very smoothly and fast. It takes hardly any time to boot up, part of which I believe is thanks to Windows 8 (which takes some getting used to, but is really a better OS than people give it credit for. I feel like it is very similar to Win7, only faster.), and it runs my games and programs exactly as I expected it to.

My biggest complaint about it, would be the finish around the keyboard. It's a high gloss plastic, which means it is a magnet for fingerprints, which eggs at my OCD. I wonder if I can find a matte finish skin decal or something to put around the keyboard so that it doesn't bother me so badly.

This laptop is beautiful and well worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: laptop overheats!!!, April 7, 2013
Yesterday, doing very light work on the laptop (turbo-tax), I had a warning:
To add insult, Toshiba wanted me to pay $25 shipping Fee!! And I only had it for less than 2 months!
Not sure that if I will buy Toshiba's product again - should have stayed with Dell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday use., January 25, 2013
Good laptop for gaming. If you buy it, be careful how much you download. Download too much and the graphics begin to lag. Create a restore point early, and you will always have a good time gaming, at a good price!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Not acceptable for linux, August 7, 2013
Very few manufacturers officially support linux but most laptops will work with it anyway. This one does not. I installed various utilities to get through most of the problems but finally could not get the fan to work properly. There are utilities for this but they do not work on Toshiba laptops that use a 3rd party bios and apparently that is what this machine has.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 12, 2013 10:00:16 AM PDT
Thank you for your feedback, Nbb, and sorry that you're having trouble getting the fan to work as desired with the Linux OS.

As you say, very few manufacturers support Linux, but we do have limited information and drivers for using Toshiba laptops with Linux at http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux. Also, there is a conversation about activating a fan for one of our other notebooks at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1686118 which may be worth reviewing.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 27, 2014
Has been working well for my Son. I purchased it for him when he enterend Engineering College.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like it, the toshiba satellite s875-s7370 17.3-inch laptop (ice blue brushed..), January 30, 2013
overall, i'm very satisfied with this item, the toshiba satellite s875-s7370 17.3-inch laptop (ice blue brushed..). there are two major reasons why i didn't give it a 5 (FIVE!), five, star rating. drum roll.... number (NUMBER!) 1 (ONE!): windows 8. windows 8 is a horribly confusing god-awful operating system apparently run by an elf on a square mouse-wheel. CONFUSION. not the confusion a 32-year old male normally experiences, but more like the confusion of a 105 year old woman on the back end of dementia. i hate you windows 8, be like window 7! ... numbero deux: batteryo lifeo. i get about 4 hours, which is ok for the price and the screen size. but, i'm left feeling something to be desired. i want to be stuffed with calories and features like every american should.