4.0 out of 5 stars It's what you would expect for a mid-range ultra-book.
Published 23 months ago by Kivrin

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre lightweight laptop
When buying this I sought a light laptop still running Windows 7 that would compare with an Asus UL30 I bought a couple of years ago. I bought the Toshiba because it appeared a good value and of comparable quality. I disregarded several luke-warm reviews in computer magazine websites. That was a mistake.

I will say the Toshiba is attractive, has a bright and...
Published 19 months ago by A. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It's what you would expect for a mid-range ultra-book., August 12, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite U845-S406 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Sky Silver) (Personal Computers)
This computer is not the fastest out there, nor does it have the most advanced features. But it's great if you need a very portable laptop and you don't have the budget to buy a macbook air. Though you can buy cheaper laptops, at similar specs, this laptop falls into the 'ultrabook' category as defined by Intel. The benefits to an ultrabook is the thin size, light weight, and long battery life. This is not even the best ultrabook out there, but it is one of the cheapest of those. The majority of the ultrabooks seem to be 900 and up, making this sort of a 'budget' ultrabook, if not a budget laptop.

I ordered this for my dad, who needed a new laptop for his work. Some notable points about it.

Design:
The laptop looks sleek, with a great finish that doesn't seem to make fingerprints too noticeable. The keyboard is a chiclet style -similar to the macbook air that this category of laptops attempts to follow- Which means it is more shallow than the usual keyboard. I do find it easy to type with, though it does take a bit of getting used to. It looks very nice, in a subdued sort of way. I wish the screen was a higher definition, but oh well.

Portability:
One of the main reasons my dad chose this laptop. It is not as thin as some of the better ultrabooks, but it's thinner than the standard laptops, and -much- lighter.

Usability:
As the other reviewer said, the boot time is slower than I expected from an SSD/HDD hybrid. Yet, it certainly boots faster than the 5 year old laptop it is replacing! Once on, it runs smoothly and quickly for office tasks, and streaming videos. The fans seem quiet, though I haven't tried to task them with anything pushing the computer's limits. It's not a computer for gaming, and I'm not even attempting it. It seems fine for daily use / buisness/ school etc. The Battery lasts about 5 to 6 hours of streaming video and web surfing, etc.

I don't use trackpads if I can avoid it, usually with a wireless mouse, so I can't really say whether that is bad or good. My dad says he preferred the old trackpad he used, but that this one is good enough.

Overall:
I would recommend this laptop to someone who wants all the portability advantages of an ultrabook, but doesn't necessarily need something with super high performance. It's really a pretty decent little laptop. Comparatively, you might also like the Zenbook prime UX32a from ASUS, which is a similarly priced ultrabook that also has an HDD/SSD hybrid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but not excellent, December 8, 2012
This is a good Ultrabook, but not excellent. HD makes noise sometimes (including some "clicks", which makes me wonder about its health; that I'll figure out just with time), more than the standard for most laptops. Touchpad sometimes fails on recognizing taps on some areas (it can be adjusted on its settings to make it work smoother, yet this is not among the best touchpads you'll find around). Battery life is fair good (does not last as long as the brand says), not excellent but not bad. Backlighting is a great feature that many Ultrabooks miss, makes it a plus for this one. It's not the lightest Ultrabook, but is light enough, easy to carry. It doesn't heat up much, what is very good. Its case is awesome. For about 650 dollars, it's a good deal.

Update (Jan 23rd 2013): The hard disk stopped making noise, whatever's the reason. It's been working good so far. SSD drive really makes a difference, this Ultrabook boots very quickly. Touchpad (even after updating its driver) still has issues, it freaks out sometimes, requiring me to restart the machine.

Someone has written in a review that this ultrabook actually doesn't have backlight as announced by Amazon. I confirm what's announced on the page here, it DOES have backlight, and it works very well (it's a smart backlight, after sometime without using the keyboard, the light turns off automatically).

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre lightweight laptop, December 5, 2012
A. Williams (Colorado Plateau) - See all my reviews

I will say the Toshiba is attractive, has a bright and sharp screen, and boots and closes down quickly.

The keyboard does not have a positive feel for a touch typist, and I was annoyed to find that in order to get a function key to operate in the expected way--say F8, I had to hold down the <FN> key and then hit F8. This (mis)behavior can be corrected in the BIOS, but should not be the default. Also the proper names of the keys F1, F2 ... are dimmed out and hard to see. I use function keys a lot, and resent this stupid system.

The trackpad works well enough, but the mouse keys are integral with it, and this makes them much less easy to use and one is never certain they have "taken".

Most laptops have a removable battery. Not this one. If the battery fails, you will have to return to machine to Toshiba. The power supply brick lacks a pilot light.

Most laptops have a hatch on the bottom giving access to the RAM storage area, so you can add memory when necessary. Not this one. You must remove the whole bottom, at the minimum, finding screws hidden under feet and labels.

It's not unique to Toshiba, but this machine comes loaded with crapware. The hard drive has only a C: partition, not an optimal setup for a drive of this size.

But yes, it works, but if I kept it, I would be chronically annoyed at myself for buying this. Instead, I am buying an Asus U36SG-DS51, which I believe more suited to my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good netbook, December 24, 2012
I research as well prior to purchasing good Laptop/netbook and found the Toshiba was the right price /ratings. After using it for a month now it is a great product light weight screen jumps out at you easy to use and the 32 GB boot up is fast. One thing I found out when I upgraded to Windows 8 is the PC locked up we had to reset the PC I guess like most laptops with the battery inside there is a small hole under the back you have to hold in to rest. It wasn't the PC but Window 8 ...when you shut down Windows 8 you have to hold down the Shift Key as you shut down the reason is an app is running in background. This I hope an update will fix. JJJ Tech Pioneer(the supplier) was very helpful and would buy from them again thru Amazon...

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good laptop for a very reasonable price, November 19, 2012
i was kind of skeptical about this laptop because the price was pretty low for an ultrabook with features such as the toshiba u845-s406. i must say i was pretty surprised by its performance so far. it's very sleek and fast pretty light, and has good speakers. the only downside so far is it gets a little warm, and make some sound but still nothing to serious. although allot of people scared me with the non responding keyboard i found no problems with the keyboard but on the other hand the touchpad buttons can get frustrating. other than that the backlit keyboard is awesome-best feature if u ask me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot of pros for the price but with a few cons, February 25, 2014
A great laptop for the price (I got this for 499.00 on Cyber Monday) however, it's not without a few problems (I've owned this for about a year and a half at the time of this review).

The bad news:
(1) Casing is metal but not Macbook Air aluminum but rather some kind of fragile painted metal skin that I still can't tell what it is made of. Looks cool at first but the paint starts wearing off and you see spots (looks cheap) where the metal paint or metal skin wears off. Also scratches fairly easily so I can't imagine what would happened if I bumped this on something or dropped it (gasp).

(2) The wifi has connectivity problems. I know it's the computer because I have an iPhone and another laptop and they all function perfectly fine when this one suddenly disconnects or fails to connect at all. Might be a software issues with Toshiba though b/c it is easily fixed every time with a simple reboot (which is crazy fast... more later).

(3) The keyboard is very small and took some time to get used to typing with. Also lacks the imbedded num pad within the JKL side of keys on the right hand. Backlit keyboard is very nice though.

(4) The mousepad is horrendous! This is the one thing I absolutely can't stand about this computer. I think Toshiba tried to copy MacBook Air on this one as did all Ultrabooks, but there are no left & right click buttons, but unlike other laptops, to click down is very hard and the mouse pad does not differentiate very well whether this is a left or right click. I cannot do any kind of work on this laptop without a separate mouse.

Good news:
(A) Great price: enough said

(B) 6 GB RAM!!! My friends' MacBook air only had 4GB RAM, perhaps at a faster speed but also at 4X the price.

(C) Great battery life. I'm almost 1.5 years into this laptop and I still get about 4 hours average on battery on regular day. Watching a movie straight through might only be 2 hours though. I can easily run a MS CHKDSK without this being plugged in.

(D) 3 USB ports along with 1 USB 3. Location is also make sense, good job Toshiba. USB 3 on here at least also supports sleep and charge (you can plug your phone in to charge without having to actually keep the laptop running).

(E) Boot speed is lighting fast, it's insane! Have a chormebook and the ultrabook is comparable. All of the programs might take a little longer to loan but normal functions such as internet & chrome are still fast & functional while they load. The startup is actually so fast, I almost never end up putting laptop to sleep (by closing lid) since the time to start back up are almost identical. If computer falls into hibernate mode it's actually slower to wake up from hibernate than just to start up.

(F) Does come with a good amount of bloatware, but the good news is I haven't had to install any extra hardware or drivers. Doesn't come with a Windows CD so I'm not sure what I'll do if somehow I had to reformat my hard drive.

Hope this helps! Great buy overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 2 of these and had to return each for different reasons. DO NOT BUY!, August 12, 2013
The laptop is great in theory. Lightweight, very powerful, attractive, etc. However, I have now purchased 2 of these laptops (from the exact same vendor so maybe that has something to do with it, but who knows) and the first one had to be returned because the hard drive failed to boot. I then paid for a second one and now, after 6 months of normal, everyday use, has begun to overheat to the point that it started to shake and shut down without prompt. It now runs severely overheated and continues to have heating problems, so much so that I can nearly guarantee that irreversible processor damage has occurred.

I'm not sure why I have experienced these issues, but clearly the computer is not built well.
Note: no problems with the OS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba is great, but Windows 8 is bad, June 30, 2013
I like this Toshiba, but initially I had a lot of trouble typing things. The touch pad was too sensitive to be useful. Every little motion made the cursor jump to random places for both Word and email typing. It was so frustrating. Eventually someone helped me get rid of hot keys and then all the mouse functions. I am fine now. My suggestion to you is to ask the customer if they want Windows 8; don't just install it blindly.

Most people do not want to be pushed to learn functions they have no use for. They buy a laptop to do their work, not to learn to be a computer nerd. Some of the functions are put there for computer savvy people, and some of the computer nerds are really clueless about human mental habits and psychology.

It would be a really good idea for any computer maker to present an initial list to the customer as soon as the customer turns on the computer. On this list, useful questions can be "Would you like to have fancy hot keys, Yes/No?" "Would you like to have fancy mouse functions, Yes/No?", and "Would you like to learn hot key and fancy mouse functions, Yes/No?" Then the computer adjusts the computer based on the customer's answers and presents a computer that is to the liking of the customer. Then, the computer pops up a final window that says "For more functions of hot keys and mouse, click X."

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba U845 review, June 28, 2013
Everything is good except for one slight problem.
The space bar on the keyboard doesn't register unless you push down with emphasis.
If you don't, you will have words run together.

Other than that, it's working just fine for my needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a piece of crap and the return window is ridiculous, June 10, 2013
The harddrive lasted exactly 1 week after the return expiration window closed which was ONLY 1 MONTH after purchase anyway.
Buyer beware!!