5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic travel computer
Published on October 27, 2012 by Beausoleil

2.0 out of 5 stars It implodes as soon as the warranty expires
Published 6 months ago by Carrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic travel computer, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Z935-P300 Portege Ultrabook 13.3" Laptop - 4GB DDR3 Memory - 128GB SSD - Intel Core i5-3317U (Personal Computers)
My beloved Sony Vaio that weighed only 3 lbs. died after about 5 or 6 years of hard travel and I've been looking for a travel computer ever since. I bought a netbook and it was so slow that I didn't want to use it. Then I read an article about the new ultrabooks and decided to have a look. After checking all of them and reading many reviews, I decided the Toshiba Portege ultrabook was the best choice for me. I have the Portege Z935-P300 and there are probably newer models now but this one is perfect. It was the lightest of the ones I reviewed. It weighs in at 2.5 lbs, actually lighter than my former travel computer.

Some reviews of an earlier model complained about the hinge making it difficult to open without cracking the screen. I have not had any problem so suspect Toshiba has changed the hinge. Mine is a center hinge but runs nearly the full length of the computer. There has been no twisting or cracking of the screen. I packed it in a fairly light canvas briefcase (to keep weight down) and dragged it all over Europe for a month with no problems. It's light enough I could run up and down stairs with it just like a tablet except I could close the top and not worry about finger prints or scratches.

It does not have an optical drive and although I have an external optical drive, I didn't take it on my last trip instead taking a flash drive for backups. That worked just fine and saved a few ounces in my luggage.

It is very fast, boots up in 11 seconds (our engineer daughter timed it). It connects to wifi easily; I had no problems in all sorts of strange places. The battery lasts as long as I could want it too. I had it on battery for 6 hours one day and it was still going strong. I charged it when I had the chance because I never knew what was coming next so I wanted the full battery life.

It is a tough, light, fast computer and better for me than a tablet because I like the full keyboard. It's nice to be able to close it too.

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ultrabook at a great price!, December 4, 2012
Bought on Black Friday sale for 699.00.
Lightning fast SSD drive although only 128gb, comes with 4gb of RAM (2 fixed) which Toshiba says is upgradable to 6gb. I bought an 8gb stick from Amazon for 40.00 which was a simple install (you need a 7 torx wrench to remove the middle screw)and windows recognized it!
Now a fast computer is lightning fast!
Only downside is the 1366 x 768 screen but I still think it's an awesome deal for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fast, very light, very small SSD, December 8, 2012
I really like this Laptop. As I say in the title it's everithing you expect from an ultrabook and for a good price. I would only mark as a con the size of the SSD. With Windows 8 and Office Pack you get only 64gb free that it's enough for your jobs perhaps but not for media storage if you want to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Ultrabook!, February 8, 2013
I shopped for an Ultrabook for about two months. After testing several products, I decidd on the Toshiba. It is an excellent machine! Light, fast and the SSD makes for super fast strat up and shut down.

2.0 out of 5 stars It implodes as soon as the warranty expires, May 20, 2014
I bought two Toshiba Z935-P300 Portege Ultrabook 13.3" Laptops at different times. One blue screened at a month, luckily the warranty covered it. The other one at 15 months and out of warranty, blue screened and went down hill from there. Toshiba wants $390 for a "major repair" and fees go up depanding on the problem. I love the light weight design, great keyboard with backlight, but everything is plastic and both laptops have small fractures by the hinges. These laptops were rarely off the desk and should last at least three years before replacing. Toshiba designs their products to fail just after the warranty expires forcing consumer to purchase again. Buyer beware,

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ultrabook, April 30, 2013
I was looking for a slim, affordable laptop with a good battery life. This met all of those requests. I am satisfied, but there are a few drawbacks:
Sound quality leaves a bit to be desired on mid to high levels
Hard drive memory space is small
There's a bit of a learning curve when typing on the keyboard
Only 3 USB ports
Other than that, I've got no complaints. Battery life is excellent, although I've only had it for a month or so. It is visually appealing: think of it as a MacBook Air for a few hundred dollars less. 8/10 would buy again

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything's great but the space bar, December 12, 2012
This laptop is perfect except for one thing: about 20% of the time, the spacebar does not register the key press. Every other key seems fine. I saw another review somewhere that complained about the same thing, so it may be a design flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars like light weight, January 7, 2013
i'm happy with the computer. The lack of weight is a real plus factor. I was disappointed that it still came with Window 7 even though I ordered it after Window 8 was out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great computer..Terrible tech support, February 8, 2013
I bought this laptop as a Christmas gift for myself and couldn't have been more pleased. After carrying around a heavy ThinkBook for several years, this lightweight laptop was a dream to travel with, and I travel every week, usually by air.
Last week I noticed that the battery was charging to only 80% even though the power supply remained connected. I called Toshiba tech support and have never been so frustrated in my life after spending more than three hours on the phone on three separate occasions speaking with three different "technicians", following their instructions to do everything imaginable including erasing the hard drive. All of this for a defective battery. Plus the accents of the people I spoke with caused me to have to ask everything to be repeated several times before I could understand. The bottom line was, my option for repair was to take the computer to one of their authorized service centers. The closet to me was in Indiana. I live in Tennessee. I explained that was not possible. Didn't matter. That was the designated procedure to get warranty service for replacement of the defective battery. I had read perviously about the many problems with Toshiba warranty issues and the inability to get repairs done. NOW I believe every word. Lesson learned, the hard way.
Tomorrow the laptop gets returned for a refund. Good riddance to Toshiba.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, stable and fast - keycaps peeled..., September 10, 2014
A. McDonley (Boynton Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I upgraded the harddrive to 256, the memory to 6GB by replacing one 2GB with a 4GB, and the wireless card to Advance-N/BT. Works great with Win7 - even does corporate network security required configuration.

Keyboard started peeling after three months, just sent in for $250 out-of-warranty Toshiba replacement.

Great laptop, terrible keycap coating.