Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2008 12:11:45 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 8:29:46 PM PST
G. Langston says:
Seriously... you didn't know it was a musical? I just watched the trailer, and Todd is singing in the street. Even without the singing, I don't know how you can expect the movie to be 'realistic,' or why realism is necessary. The hyperbole is fun, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2008 3:27:23 AM PST
Chris Hargis says:
My thoughts exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 10:55:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2008 8:35:16 PM PST
Do you normally purchase movies without doing any research on what you are buying? and had you looked past the musical aspect of it, you would find a multifaceted story with drama, suspense, hope and disappointment. Don't forget the genuine laughs either.

But you are right: since the majority of the populace also probably had no idea this was a musical (even though they did) and since you spent 15 bucks on a DVD you didn't know a thing about (even a cursory knowledge of Sweeney Todd would reveal its musical roots... its like buying Phantom of the Opera or Rocky Horror Picture Show) then truly Tim Burton is a dredge of society.

Let's examine the other ways he has ripped off humanity as a whole: Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissor Hands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride... wow a few of those have Depp in them as well. I'll bet he is in on the scheme! Even worse... a bunch of those have *gasp* songs!

Then again, if you had even a slight notion of Tim Burton you would know he does anything but make "realistic worlds" with "realistic behavior." Heck, I think the first Batman was one of his most straight laced movies.

So you did good in trying to rally the troops and issue the offended and indignant self-righteous battle cry of the sinless shopper... but sorry, epic fail. Next time skip the Burton movies and go right for the Uwe Boll movies. He is totally the more stand up, legit and reputable director. And no musicals, I promise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 12:32:24 AM PST
hepkitten says:
All *real* movies are, by necessity, realistic? Musicals aren't real film? My GOD! Thank you for sharing this information, sir. Clearly, I must purge my collection immediately of those inferior works by hacks such as Welles, Hitchcock, Coppola, Donen, Disney et al. Thank goodness I needed all those new coasters and holiday decorations, or I'd just have to light the DVDs on fire and bask in the glow of their warm and toasty fraud.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 3:20:12 PM PST
Everheart says:
You never thought that the film adaptation of a classic stage musical by one of the world's most famous living composers, made by a director whose most famous work is a stylized stop-motion Christmas musical, might have songs in it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:52:02 PM PST
I. Mae says:
ok let me get this straight...you thin that just because noone SANG in the previews for the movie, that you have the authority to be able to call Tim Burton a FRAUD and THEIF? Have you ever read this book, it's really a facinating read, called a DICTIONARY? Because you obviously don't know what the words FRAUD and THEIF mean. Tim Burton is not a cook, he did not steal anything, he made a movie, and not all people like certain types of movies. Tim Burton did not advertise the movie as something other than a musical, even if in one little trailer there was no singing. I think you need to brush up on your English language before you watch ANYTHING the United States movie theateres have to offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009 6:45:27 PM PST
This is the funniest thread I have EVER read. No, seriously. How could anyone miss that this was a musical?! Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd was directly influenced by Stephen Sondheim's adoptation of the story. As such, would you not infere that this was a musical? But nevermind that, all the trailers/commercials I have seen for this movie include the cast singing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 4:07:47 PM PST
BBaz says:
To everyone responding to the initial post bravo! Mr. Twardowski's disinformation has no place here -- it is pure farce. Note that he is likely to have some other agenda since in the real world, Tim Burton could not remotely be held accountable for marketing, customer perceptions, or the outlet through which the media is sold.

Even the most uneducated American would have difficulty producing Mr. Twardowski's terrible grammar and sentence structure. I would hazzard a guess that the reviewer is a foreign national with little knowledge of what he/she is buying but a definite agenda to smear Mr. Burton or Amazon. Note also the other reviews penned Mr. Twardowsky (click on his name in this post to view his other great works of fiction).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2009 4:07:03 PM PST
This post is hilarious. Where have you been living...on Mars?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009 2:25:50 PM PST
Twardowski -

I always insist on calling a spade a spade, so upon reading your "opinion" re. Tim Burton's film "Sweeney Todd" I feel absolutely compelled to state for the record that you are an ABSOLUTE IDIOT.

Seriously, it's difficult to fathom that people as stupid as you actually exist. You're right down there with the morons who cannot correctly identify the continent of North America on a map or who our primary allies were during World War II. Allow me to enlighten you on a couple of key points:

1. A "movie" is a form of entertainment consisting of video (moving pictures) and audio (sounds) that are recorded onto some form of physical media (usually film, video tape or DVD) and that combine to create an artificial representation of some set of situations/scenarios for the sole purpose of entertaining/educating an audience of human observers. The contents of a "movie" are not restricted in any way by your personal preferences, definition of "reality" and/or lack of intellect. For example, musical films such as "The Sound Of Music" and "The King And I" are recognized by all rational minds as belonging squarely in the "movie" category, despite the fact that it is quite uncommon for people to actually run around publicly expressing their thoughts/desires/intentions through song. By logical extension (stay with me here) Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd" also meets the accepted definition of a "movie".

2. Most - if not all - of the trailers for "Sweeney Todd" provided clear indications that the film was a musical, even for those with no prior knowledge of the famous 1979 Broadway MUSICAL on which it is based.

3. The only FRAUD that has been perpetrated here is the implication - by virtue of your post - that you have any relevant knowledge (or even mere awareness) on which to base a valid opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2009 1:12:26 PM PDT
Ha, good trolling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 7:25:32 PM PDT
Hudson says:
I didn't know anything about "Sweeny Todd" when I bought it. I just bought it because I'm a collector of movies, and I usually like Tim Burton and Johnny Depp films. I had seen no previews and barely read the cover of the DVD when I bought it, so I didn't know it was a musical until I watched it. At first, I was extremely put-off by the musical, because I wasn't expecting it... I was expecting a gory horror movie only. But then I read up on "Sweeny Todd" and watched it again and thought it was great. I only post this reply to show that not everyone who didn't realize this film was a musical is stupid. It was an easy mistake to make, being that I knew none of the background of the story at all. I do think that the original post from Robert M. Twardowski is asinine. Burton is a classic filmmaker, and he is not trying to scam anyone. Let's not forget that this movie won Best Picture at the Golden Globe Awards. It takes more than a fraud of a director to attain such a feat. I will say, from personal experience, that this movie can be off-putting at first, if you are unaware of what you are watching. Perhaps Twardowski should have watched more than 5 minutes of the movie before taking such rips at a classic director.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 12:20:18 AM PST
jamras says:
I am not normally a fan of musicals, but I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp. I do, however, realize that a musical is a genre of film. I don't in any way understand how you would feel that Tim Burton is a thief, a crook, or a jerk based on the fact that he directed a film that happens to be a musical. I'm not sure how in any way you feel that this is "NOT a movie." I'm kind of confused...if this is not a movie, then what is it? I was very clear on the fact that this was a musical, based on the previews. To be honest, the only reason I even watched this MOVIE was because it starred Johnny Depp. I happened to be pleasantly surprized that I ended up liking it so much. I might be open to watching more musicals in the future now :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions