4.0 out of 5 stars Captures the Moment Well
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
I'm indifferent to books this length, although it was very entertaining at most points. I'd recommend to anyone who has gone through the fraternity process. No GDI`s welcome.
Published 21 months ago by C_Friss 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Captures the Moment Well, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Hardcover)
"Total Frat Move" is a great novel that very accurately captures the feel of what is is like being in a fraternity. The way the characters speak to each other, their interactions with each other, they way the dress and act, and the outrageous events of the book closely mirror the memories I have had in my fraternity. Excessive use of the F-word, the bestowing of nicknames, and generally verbal berating of brothers and random people may be unnerving to outsiders, but the daily interactions I have with my brothers all are similar to how they are described in this book. The Game Day morning drinking schedule/walk-of-shame on the front porch of the Alpha house resonated particularly well, as on one memorable morning at my chapter, a few dozen or so brothers created a human tunnel for one night stands to run through as they left the house. My experiences too have seen police cars, firetrucks, and ambulances flashing their lights in front of our house, and some of my brothers and I have had the sobering pleasure of picking up pledge brothers from jail or the hospital, only to crack jokes about the unfortunate victims (to their faces) just hours later.

Modern views of fraternity life (like the show Greek or American Pie movies) seem to glaze over some important experiences such as pledgeship and simply living in a house. Total Frat Move does justice to these fraternal fundamentals, truly describing how lowly the pledges are, the great ordeal that pledgeship is, the euphoric elation of finally being initiated, and the spontaneous shenanigans that precipitate from putting 50+ 18-22 year old guys under the same roof. Though I have many great memories of my first semester being exposed to Greek Life, I often describe pledgeship as "The greatest time of your life that you will never want to do again". Total Frat Move may be the first entertainment medium that is ballsy enough to call pledgeship as it really is: difficult. It may also be one of the first entertainment media to describe life in a fraternity house outside of sex and partying. "The Frat Castle" chapter of the book nails it, wonderfully illustrating the made-up games live-ins invent, the ever-present spirit of friendly competition between members and not-so-friendly rivalry between neighbor houses, and the porch fratting that occurs in the months of the school year when the temperature is high and course loads are low.

I do wish some other experiences were able to make it into the book, such as Sorority Serenades and Fraternity Intramural Athletics. There have been some truly legendary serenades on my campus, with the sorority "babies" offering pants-tightening performances and free lap dances, and more than a couple interhouse feuds started after particularly competitive intramural games. The author could have also talked a little more about how fraternity brothers -- and especially pledge brothers -- are the greatest friends you will ever have in your life, how these are the guys that will be in your wedding, go on post-grad trips with, and bury you at your funeral. Maybe the author is too young to have experienced this or this is too serious of a tone for such a lighthearted book, but in my experiences, I am already in my pledge brother's wedding, and I have spent my who life observing my dad's relationship with his fraternity brothers -- he is still incredibly close to his brothers even 35 years after he graduated.

"Total Frat Move" is not a perfect book. It won't win literary awards or be taught in high schools across the country as an example of flawless American literature. The characters aren't particularly compelling, nor is the story arch or character development remarkable. But what "Total Frat Move" does do is take true chronicles of fraternity men across the country, novelize these experiences, and immortalize the greatest years of our lives in written, published form. I can relate almost every single one of the characters mentioned with one of my brothers, and I have had similar experiences to those detailed in the book. "Total Frat Move" gives us an unfiltered view of Greek Life as it exists now, in the early part of the 21st century, and does so in a pretty entertaining way. It is a pure example of art imitating life. The book reflects reality, for better or for worse -- and having lived through it, I say it's for better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Kindle Edition)
There isn't one page in this book that is not entertaining. Taking weeks to finish school reading, finishing this book in 1 hour. TFM

5.0 out of 5 stars TFM, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Hardcover)
Everyone needs to read this book if they go to college. I am in a frat and wish I would have gone to one in the South. I would read this book even if you are not in a frat.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing and inspiring, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Kindle Edition)
Funny book that inspires you to try more. Highly recommend this book if looking for a funny quick read. Truly great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for a sequel, June 30, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Hardcover)
Nothing to say, except this book will have you hooked and wanting more after it's finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars stellar commentary on a fun/crazy lifestyle, May 15, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Kindle Edition)
Worth reading, definitely nsfw but still worth reading. How these people survive college I will never know. Very good book

4.0 out of 5 stars Just finished, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Hardcover)
It was suggested reading-interesting. Just finished reading the book. Hard to believe all that can happen in those situations. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Kindle Edition)
Love this book. Quality frat humor and wild situations. TFM singe-handily encouraged me to rush my freshman year. Looking forward to these type of experiences haha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what i wanted!, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Hardcover)
The exact book, 5 or so dollars cheaper! Well worth the 14 dollars spent! You definitely can't go wrong with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, February 7, 2014
This review is from: Total Frat Move (Kindle Edition)
great read. one of the best books and only books I have ever read. def. would recommend it toa friend.

Total Frat Move
Total Frat Move by W. R. Bolen (Hardcover - January 15, 2013)
$18.99 $11.99