5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Parenting Techniques
As a retired special education teacher/therapist, I bought the Total Transformation Program to review its content and perhaps give it to my son and daughter-in-law. I have listened to the CD's and been impressed with the amount of very sound discipline advice that would be applicable for parents with smaller children (e.g., 4-10), preteens, and teens.
Some of the...
Published on May 19, 2008 by M. M. Siegfried

1,918 of 1,946 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars The Program Works for the Right Scenario
I was pulled into the long list of reviews here and noticed that all of them were one extreme or the other. Some say it was awesome and a must have (very likely paid or compensated reviews) and others state it is the worst and a HUGE waste of their money, but nothing in moderation.

Published on February 4, 2010 by Michedolene Hogan

1,918 of 1,946 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars The Program Works for the Right Scenario, February 4, 2010

I purchased the Total Transformation for two reasons, one my teen had developed a sudden and situation specific defiant behavior and two I wanted to know if this was a product worth recommending to my online peers (yes as an affiliate) and here's what I found,

The program IS NOT ideal for the type of issues I was battling with my teen, rather it is designed for what we can call chronic behavior problems, meaning your child consistently lies about where they are going or consistently refuses to do their part around the home.

BUT in addition to being a consistent behavior problem your approach has to also be inconsistent. If you are setting appropriate consequences, enforcing them every time, and expecting your child to take responsibility then you don't need this program.

Also I found the program to be very age specific. While it is practical to use with your preteens and teens it's NOT a practical tool for younger kids facing behavior issues. It is written directly to the teen audience and that's it.

I agree that the advertising, and frankly 98% of their affiliates (those who receive compensation if their link makes a sale) focus way too much on the hype, have included too broad a spectrum of areas to use this program with and ineffectively demonstrate the right scenarios to use this program with. Another problem I see with the advertising by the owners, affiliates and other promoters is they elude to the fact that ALL bad behavior is 'defiant' behavior and that's just not true.

I myself am a paid affiliate for the total transformation but here is my honest view:

If your child has a consistent, chronic behavior issue (lasting more than a few months) AND you are inconsistent in your parenting with no clear goals to become consistent this program can work for you.

If your child is younger than 14, has a situation specific behavior problem OR you are consistent in your parenting, or at least have a clear goal of how to become consistent, then this program WILL NOT work for you.

Take a real look at your specific situation, determine if your child meets the age criteria, then the behavior criteria, then determine if you as parents meet the parenting criteria. If not, I suggest you pass the program up and find something more suitable to your needs.

I would recommend looking into a book called It Takes a Parent by Betsy Hart. This is an excellent book to help parents deal with situation problems and the typical bad behavior that you find with most kids today. For those that find they meet the criteria above then I recommend you give it a try.

No matter what the customer service reps tell you, you will know within a couple weeks if this program is going to work for you. If you find it doesn't request your refund and simply refuse to give it a longer try. It's that simple.

Hope this review is helpful and I hope that more people can come in here and offer some input that is not to the extreme. I think those are the reviews that can really benefit the parenting community.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Really Disappointed - Don't Waste Your Money, November 17, 2009
Our Little One had a lot to deal with in a short amount of time. She was adopted at 14 months and when she was 4 I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent 2 years of treatments. Shortly before this diagnosis, our family had moved away from the only home she could actually remember, to another home, country and province. She lost almost everything that was familiar to her and the only mama she consciously knew was ill. That is a huge burden for anyone. Naturally, she started acting out once I was out of the woods and healing. We tried the total transformation and found it did not work well. We had been consistently implementing age appropriate common sense techniques along with behavior = consequence type parenting methods, complete with tons of love, affection, praise, etc. So, the repetition, disengaging during disrespectful incidents, etc. was nothing new to us. Both her daddy and myself are tenacious and consistent as the day is long and don't take our job of parenting lightly. We were not at all satisfied with this product. When we tried to return it, we too, received the run around. We were told it takes longer than 30 days to see results (but the refund policy is only for 30 days - imagine that). We tried this program consistently for well over 4 months. It was an absolute failure and to make matters worse, the customer service representatives, who were so beautifully helpful on the phone prior to purchasing this product, when I had questions about it, were just plain rude. Every time I attempted to say something or ask a question, I was interrupted, talked over, talked down to and just in general belittled. If you are going to stand behind your product then really stand behind it and practice the virtues you espouse. I personally don't find it respectful at all to be interrupted while I am speaking. I would correct my daughter for doing that, and TT recommends consequences for disrespect. However, the folks working there are disrespectful to their customers. They follow the absolute hard and fast rules of their 30 day money back guarantee policy, but not necessarily the spirit of a money back guarantee. When a customer service rep says give it a little more time, if you're not happy after 2 more months of applying the recommendations call us back and we will refund your money, but then they don't. Well, shame on me for not getting it in writing and shame on them for lying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of pre-purchase, May 12, 2012
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
Please understand that I DID NOT purchase the product. It might well be a wonderful product, but my review is about how I was treated pre-purchase. It is my thought that this is when you see a rep. at their very best, when they are trying to sell. I heard the ad from radio about a free trial. I called the number about 15 or 20 minutes before walking into a meeting. Before any pleasantries, she wanted all of my contact info. This made me uncomfortable, but I hesitantly gave it.

The woman I spoke with was VERY pleasant and seemed generally interested in the problems I was having with my child. However, as the sales pitch went on and on, I had to interrupt to tell her that I needed to stop to attend my meeting.. she said "Ok, but.." and then continued the pitch. I had to more forcefully interrupt to ask how long this would take, and she told me a half hour. I explained that I truly didn't have the time, and told her that I would research the product and call back if I was interested. For the most part... a pleasant conversation.

The next day I received a call from an 888 exchange (835-1838)and ignored it. Later that day it came again. The following day 3 times. I did a reverse look-up to find it belonged to this same company. I then started reading some reviews and decided against the product. When the 1st call came the following day, I answered and said "Hi, I'm no longer interested in your product, could you please take me off the call list". This conversation followed:

"We don't have a call list" "ok please take me out of auto-dial so I won't be called again" "we didn't call you, you called us" "yes, but I've changed my mind" "You don't even know who this is calling" "Yes, I DO know, and I'm no longer interested" "OK, if you know... then tell me who this is" me (very slightly irritated by this point): "Look, please do not call my number again, ok? "Well... If you would tell me..." at that point I hung up.

no more calls that day... but they started the following day. I ignored a couple of them and then finally answered. I pretended as if this was the first call I had ever received and let her go through the sales pitch until she revealed the company name. At that point I told her very nicely and calmly that I had decided against the product, and had already asked not to be called again. She nicely apologized, said that she would remove my name and told me to call back if I change my mind. She was pleasant, and it's now been two days without a call... so that might have worked.

Here's my problem: If this is their tactics BEFORE they make a sell... while they are still wooing me...how accommodating would they be if I made the purchase, and then wanted to return it? I had an unsatisfactory pre-purchase experience, and thought readers might like to know.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE, April 5, 2012
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
Please read these reviews carefully. I have noticed that many of the reviews I am seeing on this site as well as Yahoo Questions and many similar sites that some of the exact same people are leaving the exact same reviews on many review sites and question sites. I have checked the profiles of most of these people and noticed that most of them created their profiles on the same exact day as many others who are giving detailed praise for this product. And this company has even gone as far as creating their own answer sites under made up medical names and posting the same reviews on those sites as well. Be smart people and cross reference many of these reviews with reviews and answers on other question sites as well as medical sites with reviews only for this product. This company has spared no expense to hire professional review writers to sell this product. I am also noticing that the so called medical advice sites I have visited also give you a direct link to purchase this product. I estimate approximately 80 percent of the reviews I have encountered for this product have all been written by hired review writers and most of these reviews are carefully scripted to lead you to believe that the review is authentic. I cannot give you a review of this product. I only search out scripted reviews and medical question sites in order to spot which companies are flooding many sites with reviews that seem authentic but are actually written by professionals paid to make you think that a real customer has left the review. Many of the reviews on this site are word for word exact duplicates found on as many as ten other sites. This company spared no expense in flooding the internet with raving reviews for this product. Sorry folks; Almost all of the reviews I have researched for this product were written by people employed by the company selling this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars A scam - BEWARE HIDDEN COSTS, October 15, 2013
caitlin francke (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
I bought the Total Transformation program so I could better handle my ADHD daughter. I was prepared for the $347 cost with shipping. What I was not prepared for was $600 in total fees. When I called to inquire with Customer Service, they told me that in addition to The Total Transformation Program, I had purchased the Parental Support line and The Total Focus Program (both of which were free for a certain time period, but then fees kicked in.) I told them that I had not purchased those items and customer service insisted I had. I checked my receipt. It was intentionally vague, not listing out what was purchased and what was not, nor alerting to eventual fees. I called customer service back and they agreed to remove the Parental Support fee but they REFUSED to remove the Total Focus program (at a cost of $129). I told them that yes, I had received it, I thought it was a bonus and had never used it. I offered to send it back as it is still in its original packaging. They said no, the time for returning is over and would not refund me. Clearly this is part of their business plan to offer one product, then slip in others and have unsuspecting parents like me get hit with the bill.

To be clear, I did not ask for a refund on the Total Transformation, just the stuff I did not buy (or at least did not intentionally buy) and they would not budge.

I find it troubling that this is ostensibly a service to help parents with their troubled children, but it is really making more trouble for parents. BEWARE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Parenting Techniques, May 19, 2008
Some of the more useful parenting concepts and descriptions of HOW to implement them included:
1. Assume (parental) control--give simple directions and follow up (if necessary)with simple questions and matter of fact repetition of the directions such as "What are you supposed to be doing?" "Go do it" "My responsibility is to make dinner. Your responsibility is to do your homework" Give simple directions without speeches, lenghthy explanations, pleading, reasoning--easier said than done for most parents, but parents need to be more aware of their own overreactions and retrain themselves to be brief, firm, and consistent.
2. Disconnect when disrespect occurs--cut off communication at point of disrespect through specific actions--walking away, stating in simple terms how the behavior is not living up to your expectations and what you're going to do about it in the short term--e.g., leave the room.
3. Don't try to reason with child excessively or over-explain. This can give the rebellious child an excessive feeling of power and control over the parent. Specific scripts and examples are given about ways to talk in a brief, calm, authoratative (NOT unreasonable or authoratARIAN)tone with a clear message.
4. Lessen overstimulation--have friends/siblings leave the area, turn off TV or game before briefly stating what expectations are for this instance. Many parents let background noise and images from TV, computer, games, friends, music stay on when trying to discipline the child--these influences and/or audiences can escalate the negative behavior of the child.
5. Give positive feedback when appropriate and build the positive relationship with the child while setting strong boundaries for disrepect and other misbehavior and using the positive times together as teaching moments also.
The program contains much practical content on ways for the parents to change THEMSELVES, which will impact their children's reactions OVER TIME. It is NOT a "quick fix" in all regards--there IS NO such thing--but parents should start to see very positive results relatively soon IF they stick with it. As the saying goes, "It may get worse before it gets better" if children sense that things are changing--again, once children learn the PARENTS are consistent in acting differently, they will respond and act diffently too.
This program, as with most programs/books of its kind, would be most effective in a preventative way--that is, with younger children just starting to escalate conflicts with parents and others but, with LOTS of practice and consistency by the parents, will also be effective with older children and teens.
This program will require quite a bit of study and practice by parents but it will be, in my opinion, time and effort well spent. In the long run, it will SAVE parents much time and aggravation to become more aware of and learn better skills to be more firm, detached, clear, and consistent. This program is thought-provoking and clear in its examples and scripts. Some of its content should be obvious to many and yet, this program serves to increase parents' awareness of when they fall into ineffective patterns so that they can change their parenting results through consistent practice of these vital skills.
The "tough yet fairminded, East Coast" dialect of the author's voice on the CD's is itself empowering that parents can learn and USE these wise, "common sense" (which maybe we never pondered much previously) "street-smart" if you will, parenting skills. The program would also be very helpful for teachers or others working with youth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, November 14, 2011
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
I bought this program to review for advice for parents that I deal with as a family doctor. I have also recommended "Common Sense Parenting " by Ray Burke. Total Transformation is a $350 program : the book is $14. The book is well worth it. The program is not. Much of what is in this program is in Ray Burke's book , in my opinion. Be very careful also not to be talked into buying anything you think you might not want, as when I tried to return an unopened item suddenly Legacy Publishing had no record of my account yet they were charging my credit card.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was very hopeful, but very disappointed, September 13, 2013
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
I had called for help because my granddaughter was 5 and after receiving the program and trying it for a couple of weeks I thought it was not really for kids her age. I was assured it would help and to try it for a while longer... Some of the ideas did help and I really did try to adjust them for her age. I did not find the customer service very helpful either. I finished the program the best I could for a 5 year old, and sent in the survey to get the cost of the program refunded to me, and guess what??? They didn't refund it! No reason in the world will allow them to give me my refund, I didn't have a working copier at the time so I didn't copy they survey and when they tried to tell me I didn't answer 1 question, I could not prove that I did. I would not recommend this to anyone. Take the child to someone in person for help based on the child's age. This is not a one size fits all program! Very misleading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feel like we were scammed, June 7, 2012
This review is from: The Total Transformation Program (Audio CD)
Does this program have some good parenting advise? Yes. Would I recommend it? Absolutely NOT because of their marketing techniques. I hate feeling like I have been scammed.

As parents that are always looking for assistance with the most important job of parenting, we ordered this program on the "free" promotion. "Complete" their survey in 90 days and receive your money back.

I don't think anyone would expect the time it takes to fill out their 20+ page survey. Hours and hours. We did so however and returned the survey within the 90 day period. The only instructions you get is to leave nothing blank and nothing "N/A".

Our survey was registered as incomplete since there was a section that asked for 3 ways that the technique worked and 3 ways that it did not work. We didn't have 3 ways that the technique did not work, and therefore placed a "?" in the last one. In order for them to consider that question complete I would have had to write "I DON'T HAVE A THIRD EXAMPLE IN WHICH THIS TECHNIQUE DID NOT WORK". Can you imagine! They also accused me of NOT filling out a question that I knew I had filled out. When I asked for a copy of the survey, they refused saying that it is a "confidentiality" issue. Confidential to me? The person who had filled out the survey?

There is another section called "One Minute Transformation" and asks you to "Describe the results" you obtained with all ten of the techniques. For the ones we did not use, we only placed a check mark in the section describing if we found it helpful. In order to be considered complete, you must put something in the "describe the results" even if you have no comment to give since you did NOT use that particular technique. If a technique was NOT used, what is a person supposed to fill out in the "Describe the results" box? "I do not have a result"? Apparently.

Ahh, but wait, they will give me an "extension" to finish the rest of the survey...FOR $24.95. So we ended up paying $24.95 for this "free" program. That was the only way we got our $300 back. I am sure that we are not alone.

I think that anyone thinking of ordering this program should look at the following links.

[...]

and

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE, May 29, 2009
I do not even want to give this product one star but amazon makes you pick at least one. My husband and I decided to try this out with our son. After trying it for two months, it was not effective AT ALL. Very time consuming without any positive results. My husband and I felt like fools for even ordering the thing. First of all, the terms of the trial period are horrendously inconspicuous, which may lead you to keep the product longer than intended. Let me tell you, if it is kept longer than the 30 days, you WILL NOT GET A REFUND!!! Their 'customer service' is horrible, keeping you on hold for 18 minutes before a rep answers your call, only to be told you will have to file an appeal to return the merchandise. Your appeal will be rejected and you will be left with an ineffective product and out your money!! DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

The Total Transformation Program
The Total Transformation Program by James Lehman (Audio CD - 2004)
Used & New from: $104.86