4.0 out of 5 stars Don't pass this up.
Published on January 1, 2006 by Little D

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't know...
Published on September 2, 2007 by A. Matos

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't pass this up., January 1, 2006
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
I picked this up hoping it would be a great book because the book description on the back seemed so good. Well, I'm not disappointed! This is a witty, friendly, funny book that I'd recommend to anyone who wants a good laugh or to anyone who loves chick lit. Plus the 'entries' that Charlize 'Charlie' makes in her notebook for her great grand niece ring true in so many ways.

I'm really hoping this author will release another book. She has such great talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a joy to read, January 18, 2006
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
I hesitated about buying this book. I don't know why. This is a wonderful, funny, cute read.

Our main heroine gets herself into all kinds of strange situations but is so well written that you actually buy it. The best aspect of this book is the wonderful humour. The author takes some weird situations and makes them absolutely funny - even if they are over the top at times (an elephant?).

My favorite moments are between our main character and her boss, movie star Drew. The author made the decision to write him as a movie star, but without alot of the characteristics that you would expect to find in movie star characters in other books. You kind of like Drew even if he is a tad "spacey".

Everyone in this book is written just a little off center, but the storyline is cute and the author makes this book a greal gem.

I always know I am going to like a book when I don't want to put it down and when I have to - I keep looking forward to picking it back up.

I could go on and on about the characters and storyline - but I won't do it justice so go and buy this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't know..., September 2, 2007
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
Unlike usually it took me a long time to get through this book. The cover, the title, even the premise has so much potential and even the story line throughout isn't bad at all. It's just... Charlie and her friends were never very well developed. I never really felt for Charlie, for her plight. To me, the best developed character was Drew and he was only secondary. The entire book was just kind of blah. I followed it, but I never really got passionate about it.

Unlike Emily Giffin's books this one just didn't pull me in. The story was good but the characterization never pulled me in, it seemed like nothing big ever happened. And there were some really cliche tacky lines/dialogue here and there. Not bad just nothing special, nothing I'd re read unless I wanted to reevaluate my opinion.

Read it, sure, but don't be surprised if it's just a little whatever. I prefer Emily Giffin's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars fine chick lit tale, December 27, 2005
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
As a personal assistant to Drew Stanton, a top movie star, Charlize "Charlie" Edwards seems to be living the good life in Southern California, but she is beginning to feel her age as she closes in on thirty due to her younger sister's upcoming marriage. Her family continues to drive her nuts as always, but the nuptials especially reminds her she is alone and will never have any children calling her mom.

To comfort her self with the empty nest syndrome, Charlie begins writing advice notes for the imaginative niece that has not been perceived, but she will one day hold though the kid will read her expertise probably in the next century. She also begins going out on dates after a male moratorium. To her amazement though most were calamities, she falls in love with set photographer Jordan though she also admits to her two confidents, Dawn and Kate, that she does not like him.

The key to this fine chick lit tale is the camaraderie between the three friends that seem so genuine that it serves as the plausibility anchor to the cast and the story line. The advice notes to a future niece are fun to follow as the audience also sees what makes Charlie tick while she can name her hemorrhoids after her family and her boss. However, the friendship between the three women who instinctively know first hand when a relationship is a TOTAL WASTE OF MAKEUP make Kim Gruenenfelder's tale fun to read.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars a big surprise, May 17, 2007
i picked up this book at a barnes and noble store by accident, never heard of it or the author and truthfully was very hesitant about it. VERY. Having read it in 2 days, all i can say is that i absolutely LOVED it and thought it was whitty and funny and modern and simply ADORABLE!!!! i just couldnt wait to see what happened next the entire time.

READ IT!!!!! Its a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, February 22, 2011
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
I read this and its follow up over the weekend and was delightfully surprised. I found the characters to be just engaging enough and the story to be highly entertaining. I found myself putting faces on the characters with ease and could hear their voices while reading.

What's with Charlie having dial up internet though? The whole book was great, but I found that to be ubeleivable - particularly after reading the follow up where she owns an iPhone (and we're repeatedly reminded of this). No self respecting iPhone owner has used dial up since the new millenium.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the typos throughout the kindle version. There are "1"s for "I"s and a word near the end with "7" randomly placed in it. There were several other typos through the book but nothing that completely ruined the reading experience for me. They just became a bit on the annoying side.

Over all, I would say this is an American girl's updated and witty version of "Bridget Jones's Diary". I laughed many times and could relate to the characters and the story. Well worth the read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was I reading the same book?, February 27, 2006
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
Lightweight, choppy writing are the two things that stand out in my recollection of the time spent reading this book. In fairness there were moments that I laughed out loud, usually at some well aimed comment but overall this book was a disappointing read. Perhaps the author will improve in a second effort, I hope so since the character interaction and storyline were actually pretty good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone proofread this?, January 8, 2011
The story itself was ok, but I am shocked at the many mistakes and typos I came across in the Kindle version of this novel. There were "1"s instead of the letter I, misspelled words, missing punctuation, horrible spacing, and even a random number 7 in the middle of a word. Maybe I'm a little more aware of things like this because I'm a teacher, but I think the mistakes are too obvious for anyone to ignore. This was my first Kindle book. Can I expect more mistakes like this in future novels?

2.0 out of 5 stars A total waste of time, May 15, 2010
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
Although there were some humorous parts in this entertaining book, underneath it was sad and depressing. The lead character has everything going for her; a great job, family, friends, looks, money, etc. Yet she is pathetically unhappy because she does not have Mr. Right in her life. The book centers on her 30th birthday, and the fact that she is not married. I found myself hating the whining,complaining, sad Charlie thinking that she will never be happy in her life. Also, there was an excessive amount of drinking to the point where it seemed like many of the characters were in a state of constant drunkenness.I am sure it was meant to be humorous, but it just brought home the point that many of the characters where deeply depressed and trying to drown their sorrows with booze.
The moral of the story seemed to be that women always have and always will define themselves by the man they marry. I felt that the boyfriend she finally chooses in the end lacked character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't loan this book out to friends, March 22, 2006
Diane Raetz (West Milford, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Total Waste of Makeup (Paperback)
Don't loan this book out to friends. Make them buy their own copy. I picked it up when I was out on disability hoping for a days entertainment. Instead I found an instant classic with a frightingly real look at dating. What I loved most about this novel was that Drew, the sexist man alive, had the same issues finding love that the rest of the characters had.

A Total Waste of Makeup
A Total Waste of Makeup by Kim Gruenenfelder (Paperback - December 27, 2005)
$15.99 $10.65