Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 6, 2013
This is a book that literally "changed my life." I know that sounds trite, or like a cliche, but it is absolutely true. If you are a "knowledge worker" who uses Microsoft Outlook, you should absolutely buy this book. I guarantee you will benefit from it.

I first heard of Michael Linenberger when I came across his book The One Minute To-Do List: Quickly Get Your Chaos Completely Under Control in the bookstore. It turns out you can download a PDF of that book at the author's website (Google his name) for FREE. I suggest you check that out, which will introduce you to a simplified version of the system in Total Workday Control (TWC). Also, check out all the reviews for the earlier editions of Total Workday Control. You'll see I'm not the only one excited about this system. If it seems like useful information, buy this book.

In Total Workday Control, you are introduced to the simple yet amazing To Do list management system the author came up with. Then he gets into the nitty gritty of using Outlook to get your email and To Do list organized. He literally takes you screen by screen and click by click through setting up both Email and Tasks to make sure you 1. Have a completely empty Inbox every day, and 2. Never let something you're supposed to do or want to do slip through the cracks again. I can't explain how good it feels to empty my Inbox every day. And I am on top of my work like never before. I know the tasks I have to do are on my list, and tasks I need to do in the future will show up on my list exactly when I need them to. All emails are responded to, and I'm working on the most critical tasks first. It's like magic.

Like many others, I read and tried to implement Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen, but found it lacking when it came to practical implementation. I also felt like I spent more time managing the time management system than actually working! The TWC system works synergistically with GTD, if that's what you're into. But if you've never read GTD, you won't be missing anything, because this is a stand alone system. And the strength of this book is in the implementation. You will know exactly what to do and how to do it. Every time I was reading and thought to myself, "That sounds good, but what about...?", my question was answered within a sentence or two. It was like he was reading my mind! That's because the author has "been there, done that" and knows what it's like in the real world. You'll swear this guy has been following you around, watching what you do all day, and then came up with solutions just for you.

By the way, if you don't use Outlook, but are still interested in this amazing system, check out the author's website. He has solutions for you, too.

Get this book. You'll be glad you did.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
I have used Outlook for a very long time. I have followed the author for a number of years and I always learn something and improve on my system of organization in Outlook from his books. But I have to say, he has really outdone himself with this 4th Edition. I found myself fascinated with the depth of knowledge with the Outlook software. I have found over the years a number of nagging issues with the program, so it was a real bonus to have those issues addressed in this book. I read it cover-to-cover; did not want to miss a drop. Not only have I improved time management, but my knowledge of this fairly complex, and powerful piece of software has greatly improved. And believe me I have read a number of Outlook books over the years; nothing compares. Thank you Mr. Linenberger.
on February 4, 2014
I am your standard white collar office worker (a "knowledge worker") faced with a wildly variable scope of projects -- most falling in between easy one-off tasks and legit full-blown projects. I get 100 emails a day, and have easily 50 tasks on my to-do list at any given time.

This book helped me structure the craziness, and after using this approach for a month I have confidence that things I send to "future Patrick" will come back to me when I need them to. Nothing slips through the cracks, and the torrential inflow of emails is under control and managed efficiently.

I like this book as an improvement on GTD, because it channels most of the same ideas through Outlook and is premised on the idea that email is the medium through which I get most of my work tasks. I agree with the first dude whose review said it sounds cliche, but this book changed his life. Mine too.
on February 10, 2015
I have tried David Allen's Getting Things Done, Franklin Covey, etc., and nothing has worked. Total Workday Control is the only system that has worked for me - my inbox is routinely down to zero and for the first time in my 25-year career, I feel a sense of control over my days. What I appreciate most is not having the anxiety of knowing that there are important messages buried deep in my e-mail - waiting for a ball to drop. I am crazy busy - but this allows me to feel a sense of peace and calm as I manage my days. Excellent book.
on February 16, 2014
Just plain good stuff. This is a systematic and straight forward way of keeping your schedule under control. I particularly like the way parts of the process can be used. I've purchased copies for the entire staff.
on March 19, 2016
This book I bought on a whim while looking for something else entirely. Like many people, I know how to use Outlook well and have been for many years, but never have been taught a formal "process" for managing floods of emails and tasks. To that end, this book is a game changer.

I think the book paid for itself in the first day. I no longer worry about really important tasks getting lost in an inbox 100 ft deep. At the end of every day, my inbox is literally empty. And the anxiety of looking at overdue tasks in red and having to sift through a lot of tasks that aren't due for a number of weeks are things of the past.

Don't even think twice- but this book. I am sure there are other systems out there that work just as well if not better. But if you don't have a system, try this one.

Easy to read.
Step by step diagrams on how to finetune your Outlook software. You don't have to be an Outlook pro to benefit from this. Quite the contrary.
Have found not one error in the book.
Online explainer videos, some of which are free
on October 7, 2014
If you use Outlook, I don't undertsnad why you wouldn't get this book. There are other books that talk about time manegement and systems to do the things you have to do and to folowup. And they can have great principles, but then you have the question: how do I integrate those principles into my daily routine?

Well, this is the answer. Because it tells you te principles AND it tells you HOW to integrate them into Outlook. So you don't have to think about the "how". Want an empty inbox? This is for you? Want principles and a system? This is for you. Want to know the changes you have to do into Outlook to apply those principles? This is for you.

I don't like writing reviews of books, mostly because I don't have the time, but his one, well, I wanted to share my Wow with you. By the way, if you like Getting Things Done from David Allen, this book folows many of that system.

In few words: if u use Outlook and have tasks to do, you have to read this book. Unlike other books that some chapters are useful, here with this one, every chapter is gold. Every dollar is worth, I mean it.
on November 2, 2014
I started with the one-minute to-do list but progressed onto the Master Your Now complete program. The book was easy to follow and the program has helped me at work tremendously. Some co-workers have seen me using it and asked about it but if someone is not interested in learning and putting the time into this it will not work for them.

I think the book could have been configured better, it teaches windows outlook and mac; it would be nice if in the 5th addition the two different operating systems could be completely separated in the book so you don't have to skip over material and find your place again.
on January 8, 2016
I bought this on a recommendation from my brother. I am very organized and this helps simplify my work life. I have 0 emails in my inbox leaving every day now and all tasks get done. A few bucks to save a lot of stress. Worth it.
on October 15, 2014
Basically one of the best organizational control books I've read because I use Outlook at work everyday and Mochael's ideas really work. It takes some time to get it working in your head and you may need to adapt it for your work environment. I've used it in three different jobs and it does the trick each time.