Published on March 24, 2010 by Delta Lady

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible
Wow, these are terrible. I was really excited about them but they are terrible for two reasons. One, they stink. Really bad. And it doesn't matter how many times you wash them, they still stink. And second, they shed like crazy. There is no way of getting all the tiny fibers to stop coming off of these boards. Terrible, terrible product. Don't make the same mistake I made.
Published on April 6, 2010 by John Kong

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, April 6, 2010
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-2038 Bamboo Cutting Board Set, 2-Board Set (Kitchen)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cutting boards but the smell is bad..., April 1, 2010
Stephan (Milpitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These are good cutting boards but the smell is bothersome to me. I am afraid to use this board to cut certain foods because of fear of contaminating my food with the smell. The quality is very good and it definitely will not harm your expensive knives, but buyer be aware of the smell.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOUR YEARS OF USE! and Still a Nice Little Set as well as being Lightweight!, March 24, 2010
Delta Lady (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
I have had cutting boards before, some great, some not-so-great, and currently have two very large ones hand-crafted out of maple which I have had for years and which are wonderful for big jobs. They have held up well over the years with the proper care. I had been considering purchasing more for sometime, particularly in smaller sizes as use one of the large ones for such tasks as slicing a single tomato or onion is a bit of over-kill.

I found these in Amazon Warehouse Deals for $7.99 (and eligible for Free SuperSaver Shipping). I placed them on my wish list and ordered them the other day to round-out an order to over $25 to qualify for Free SuperSaver Shipping. I have never had bamboo cutting boards before, but decided to take a chance on them. I must say the grain in them is gorgeous, and I was surprised by the light weight, having used the much heavier maple cutting boards for so long. As I have only had these for a little while I cannot yet comment on their longevity, but will say they seem to be constructed as well as any of the other cutting boards I have seen out there.

These are perfect for smaller jobs, and now I don't know why I waited so long to try them. The smallest one is perfect for slicing a single tomato or onion. The larger one is perfect for a loaf of home-made bread. While I will still use my larger cutting boards for the bigger jobs, these are a nice addition to our kitchen ~ and Amazon Warehouse Deals had them here on the date they estimated they would ship them. I am very pleased.

UPDATE: April 2014:

Four years in and I still have these babies and they are nearly just as nice as they ever were. I have NEVER OILED mine. I wash them with a hot soapy dish rag, rinse and put them in a dish drainer to dry completely before putting away. This past week alone, I have used them to slice/dice/chop tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, onions, celery and carrots -- so yes, I use them more than once every week and have done so since purchasing them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow... a real disapointment, August 22, 2011
So, I saw this for $10 or so, we used plastic cutting boards before, this seemed better than what was at Target, so I gave it a shot.. I really really tried, I even got the mineral oil and made sure they were not in the dishwasher (which we did with the other boards).. but now, 4 months after buying them, they look decades old. They are scratched and warped. They still work, they are fine, but I was expecting better. The warp on the big one is annoying

I did the oil thing like 4 times (rub mineral oil on them and let them sit overnight), I was expecting a lot better performance, I don't want to have to oil them every month. Maybe for $10 I should have lowered my expectations...

For the record, no smell, not flaking or pealing, but this does not seem like bamboo is "harder than maple"... I keep my hugging to other trees.

UPDATE: I threw out the smaller one, it was too warped to be any good. I bought some of the plastic ones cutting boards as replacements. It was an interesting bamboo experiment, but in the end I am back to those white plastic cutting boards, I can put THOSE in the dishwasher. anyone want a half bottle of wood oil?

***********One-Year Update**************
I don't have them any more. 6 months ago, I tossed the small one, some time in the last 6 months the bigger one was deemed worthless.

so: in summary: if you want to put a lot of effort into oiling the boards, and keeping them safe from danger (dishwasher), and are ok if they only last a year or less.. they are fine, but that was not what I was looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars bamboo pieces separated, October 16, 2010
greetings. after a few months of only being washed in the sink and never dunked in water, the bamboo pieces separated. of course only after amazon's 30 day return policy expired.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally badboo, August 19, 2011
Wished I had read the reviews before I picked this product up at my local bed bath and beyond. The boards do stink and whatever you cut smells like the board and it sheds. It has those little splintery strands. I returned it. Definitely, do not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, October 10, 2010
These are wonderful cutting boards and perfect for my small kitchen. They are half the thickness of other wooden cutting boards and pleasingly lightweight, but very strong and rigid. With a small kitchen and limited counter space, I cannot leave my heavy maple cutting board out on the counter all the time. Have been using a plastic cutting board for everyday chopping, as it's easily stored by propping against a counter wall out of the way, but I hate plastic boards. These thin, lightweight bamboo boards are the ideal compromise solution for me - real wood, easy on good knives, very good looking boards, strong and solid, but lightweight and thin enough like the plastic boards to deftly prop against a wall or in dish rack out of the way when I need the counter space for other tasks.
No bad smell at all on my boards. Baffled by the nasty comments from "John Kong" and "Daniel Orr". And "shedding"?? That's crazy, shedding what? The boards are not "flimsy" either. They are just not writing about the same product I have in my hands. Or they are trolls...
I'm so glad I bought these boards, I'm thinking about buying another set to stash away for future use. This cook is delighted with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Oiled, Mine Are Great, June 23, 2011
I've happily used these most days for over a month now: No Warping, No Shedding, No Smell.
I perhaps 'over-oiled' them to begin with, both sides with special attention to the edges. But, as the 'wood' seemed particularly dry when new, I wanted as much absorbtion as possable on all sides so I let them stand for 15min or so, dripping a bit of oil, & then lightly wiped them down. I repeated this each of the next 2 days, by which time they no longer seemed 'to drink oil' as they had a first.
I'm still using our old 'plastic' for meats & staining veg such as red cabbage; therefor the hand washing is very short followed by drip-drying.
After about 3 weeks of almost daily use/washing, the wood seemed a bit dry again so I re-oiled, moderatly this time, and expect to repeat this perhaps on a monthly basis.
My experience with wood-working [tho not with bamboo] coupled with the bad experiences of some suggests these should not be washed on arrival but only after they have been well oiled tho if this is correct you'd expect a 'warning label'.
I was annoyed by the residue on the boards from the gummed label as any of the usual chemicals to remove this would be absorbed by & remain in the dry wood; again, no warning label.

October, 2012: It's been well over a year now of almost daily use & washings and tho they've now got minor knife marks they're holding up fine.
But You do have to be careful with these around water which, especially if it soaks into just one side, can cause warping.
If the water is very hot&/soapy such unequal absorbtion/warping will be worse.
Just quickly hand-wash & rinse BOTH sides and then, not later, towel-dry; the wood will still be damp which is OK, just let the board air-dry the rest of the way while propped up, say, in the dish-rack; but don't skip the towel-dry step.
Normal dampness from slicing cucumbers etc is no problem, tho I do take a quick swipe with a paper towel after slicing tomatos, what with all the juice they leave behind.
Being rather thin, do take care that these boards are perfectly flat on the table for 'heavy' jobs like 'sawing' thru a 10 oz block of frozen spinach; better yet, I use the ugly old plastic board for these jobs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Boards, July 4, 2010
They're ok. I should have spent a little money and got bigger & heavier boards. They're good for vegetables, but nothing heavier,like fish or beef.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like......bamboo., August 4, 2011
Opened this from its packaging and threw it in the dishwasher. Pulled it out, cut some pot roast on it...ate the pot roast, and it tasted exactly like the Bamboo boards smelled. So I thought, 'hey - you just didn't wash it enough.' Washed it by hand, then threw it in the dishwasher again, pulled it out and washed it again - cut up some honeydew melon on it - again, it tasted like bamboo. I would not recommend this for cutting anything, unless of course, you're cutting bamboo.

Totally Bamboo 20-2038 Bamboo Cutting Board Set, 2-Board Set