5.0 out of 5 stars care of cutting boards.
Published on November 23, 2011 by Starmagic

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Boards But It Doesn't Tell You About The Maintenence
Published on August 5, 2011 by Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars care of cutting boards., November 23, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
I have a set of these cutting boards. However most boards need proper care. Never put them in the dishwasher. I clean mine with a qt size spray bottle with 1/2 teaspoon bleach in it. I spray the board then sprinkle my cheapest salt on the board and then scrub rinse with warm water and then dry well with a towel. After dry once a week I wipe them down with food grade mineral oil on a cloth wash cloth. Not to worry as they have mineral oil in every grocery store or drug store. This will keep all of your cutting boards in good shape. I use certain boards for meat and others for veggies. I write with a marker on the side so I am never confused which is which. They will last for years and years. I have a board that was my Great Grandmothers that I use for veggies only and it still is a good board. I also have a board that I use for making bread pizza dough an pastries. This set I use for fish and one for sandwiches, one for one meat. They say we should do this and that is why I bought this set. Thinking of getting a few more sets to give as gifts. Hope this helps everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Boards But It Doesn't Tell You About The Maintenence, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
I had never used bamboo cooking boards...so I used it for the first time...and the wood started peeling off! I washed it...and it shed worse. So I did some investigation. You have to cure the wood with mineral oil. When I say have to...I actually mean HAVE TO. BEFORE USE and often for the first month. Monthly after that. Wood is better for knives, which is why I got them, but be prepared. Use the mineral oil on it....before you use it.

Follow up: Over a year later...

I've had these for over a year now. They are doing well and holding up well. The first month was a little bit of work...but you can tell when they are starting to dry out and need to be re-oiled, I don't find it to be very high maintenance. I researched and from what I discovered, mineral in the drugstore section is the same things as the expensive ones made for curing bamboo. So I buy the cheap stuff and it works just fine. Just be sure to not leave the board submersed in water(my daughter did that on accident and the board warped, after a couple months it dried out and flattened again), and wipe off the extra oil after curing it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wished these would've lasted longer..., July 20, 2010
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
We bought these and were pretty excited to get them. We are always cutting fresh vegtables and fruit and ended using these daily for a few days. We loved the handles and strudiness. However, after washing them a few times, they began to crack and spilt. Then they even deformed so they didn't lay flat. We ended up having to return them. I do agree with another customer review that the smallest cutting board is too small to really do anything with also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Price But Smallest Board Is Starting To Splinter, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
These cutting boards are a good size, but upon doing an initial washing of them we noticed that the smallest board is already starting to splinter. A little disappointed, but we'll have to see how the other two sizes hold up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
After a single use all the third boards started peeling off. Even when mineral oil was applied they continued to have small fibers coming off. I returned them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold up as well as expected, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
I requested these for Christmas and was excited to get them. Unfortunately after a few days of use for fruits and veggies they already show lots of wear. I did not put in the dishwasher, just gave a quick rinse, patted dry with a towel and set in my drying rack to air dry. Maybe it's the acid from the fruits and veggies that caused the splintering?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cutting Boards, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
Best set on the market-- money wise, space wise, using wise, they clean up nicely & stack in the corner out of the way but handy when I need them. Light weight unlike the other boards I have owned. I just love them!

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed shape in 2 weeks, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
I liked it when I first received them. Light weight and the sizes are perfect for my small kitchen. But after only two weeks of use, the largest one has changed shape and it's not flat any more. I am very disappointed. I am returning them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Effort!, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
I purchased these 2 months ago and am so glad I did! I was nervous after reading the mixed reviews, and waited to write this until I'd owned and used them for awhile. The boards come with instructions to oil them 3 times a week for the first month and weekly thereafter so the wood is seasoned. Not having the suggested mineral oil, I used vegetable oil I had in the cabinet, and a light coating on all 3 boards took about 5 minutes. Being busy, after the first week I only did it a couple of times a week, and after a couple of weeks that dropped to once a week and then maybe once every other week. The boards are handy, sturdy, and a pleasure to use. I haven't seen a single problem other reviewers have mentioned. I don't have a dishwasher, so I just wash these off right after use, let them air dry, and put them away. I give a 4 star rating since they do require some special care initially and periodically. Glad I bought them, if you're wanting to try bamboo boards I think these are good and well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, August 29, 2011
Jordan A. Baram (Maplewood, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen)
We ordered these bamboo cutting boards because they were inexpensive and attractive. The first time we washed the cutting boards with a sponge and warm water they started to splinter and small pieces of the product came off.

These things are cheap and poor quality. Better to invest in a higher quality more expensive cutting board.

Totally Bamboo 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set