Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Package Quantity: 1Change

on March 19, 2010
I got this set of 3 cutting boards for my parents, who were using crappy plastic ones. While these are a step up, they're by no means quality. They're thin, have no grip on the bottom, and even shred their wood a bit. I oiled them religiously (with mineral, or "bamboo" oil, it's the same thing) and the shredding stopped a bit. But I'd never pay $20 for these three; you're better off getting one of the Architec Gripper series (which I personally own and have reviewed). For $10, they were worth it; $20, not so much.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2010
Good cutting boards. Very thin, so they don't take up much room. Very pretty. They do need lots of oiling at first, as the bamboo kind of "shreds" with little hairy bamboo pieces flaking off. Canola oil works just fine for oiling...no need to buy any specialty oil or anything.
22 comments24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2010
A prefect example of when things are too good to be true. We needed a couple of small cutting boards for serving fruit to the kids, and these looked perfect. But I've had them only a couple of months, and already the largest board is cracked. Soon it will be too. And I even oiled it with food-grade mineral oil to protect it. Would recommend buying something thicker.
on February 7, 2010
This product while inexpensive tends to warp due to its thiness, I am sure that if it were made thincker it would be fine.
It warps along it's length abaout a havf inch making it concave in shape.
on November 7, 2010
I love the idea of bamboo, I like the 3 different sizes of cutting boards BUT they smell! Like something that has soured. I've washed them several times with very hot soapy water and have used the oil that's recommend to use for them. No help, you can smell them while standing in front of the cabinet where they are stored, with the door closed! Any suggestions on how to get rid of the bad smell?
on July 19, 2011
Pros
1. Price is good.
2. Use the big one for veggies(onion/garlic), medium one for meat and small for fruit.
3. Relatively less shredding even with sharp knives (I have kyocera serrated, wustoff etc.)
4. Easy to clean. Less absorption than wood.
5. Portable (picnics etc.)

Cons.
1. Warps easily(oiling, no help). Big one, esp. I keep it on toaster oven to dry and unwarp.
2. Moves on smooth (granite) surfaces. I keep a moist paper towel under to reduce movement.
on January 9, 2011
I got these for my boyfriend for Christmas. We've already used them a lot and they work really well. I read some complaints that they splinter easy, but they keep together for us pretty well--especially if you oil them. The sizes are great. I also read reviews saying that the small board was too small, but it works great if you just want to cut up some cheese or something small like garlic. I use it when I'm making vinaigrettes. Very pleased with my purchase for the price.
on January 17, 2010
I bought these for my boyfriend as a Christmas Present and so far they are holding him in good stead. I haven't used them personally but I know that he is happy with them and has been having more fun in the kitchen.
on December 28, 2010
Nice price for multi use boards. I do see that getting a heavier board or chopping block would be nice and prevent slipping as these boards are light weight.
Be sure to oil thoroughly before use. I followed the directions and oiled well on both sides and let sit for at least a day to allow oil to soak in. I wiped off any excess before use.
I assume that both sides is necessary both for protection and to prevent warping due to uneven coating/protection. With boards this thin, I could see these boards warping without even protection. Regular oiling should prevent warping due to water absorbtion.
Don't buy the expensive 8oz bottles of Bamboo Board oil. It is just mineral oil, sometimes with some scent added. You can get a 16oz bottle of mineral oil at Target for about $2.50. It is for internal use so it is food safe. Don't use olive or peanut oil as it gets rancid. Other oils might work, but mineral oil is readily available.
Putting down a non skid surface or attaching something to the back to keep them from sliding on the counter would be a good idea.
on December 12, 2009
A good solid set of cutting boards. The product was exactly what I expected when I ordered it.