5.0 out of 5 stars totally worth it!
Published on April 28, 2010 by J. L. Mahood

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pictures and details
Published on May 12, 2011 by CVOChristi

5.0 out of 5 stars totally worth it!, April 28, 2010
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
Zentangle is a relaxing and beautiful art form that anyone can create using repeating patterns. This book has wonderful step-by-step instructions for the beginner (in case no one nearby is teaching classes on Zentangle). AND it has over 100 tangles (patterns) and their instructions. The book is well organized, and it's creative and fun to look at. I believe that those who consider themselves "non-artists" will enjoy this book, as well as those more comfortable and confident with art materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally love Totally Tangled, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I've been tangling for awhile. I anxiously awaited this book and was not disappointed. I cannot draw, but after following the step by step instructions, I was amazed at my results. My husband didn't believe what I was able to do. The instructions for shading were really helpful also. I find tangling very relaxing and look forward to seeing what I'll accomplish with practice. You won't be disappointed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, April 30, 2010
Quercus Design (Bar Harbor, ME United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I agree with the first reviewer, this is a good book for a beginner, but there are a lot of advanced Tangles, and the author explores ways to put Tangles together and methods for creating your own. All that makes it equally inspiring for an experienced Tangler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for TOTAL, TOTAL beginners., January 6, 2011
Eireen (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
After much discussion and thought I am editing my review. I am not deleting anything but adding what I have found out especially with the help of all those who commented on this post **indicates an edit/comment

-I thought this book would be a learners guide to the art of 'tangling'. The description seemed to imply that. I expected more instructions and detailed steps
**You need to know a bit about tangling to get full value from this book. I don't think you need another book but just watching a quick you tube video will get you upto speed. Please see the comments to my original post for loads of links.**

-Instead this book is more of a compilation of work which is admittedly very beautiful. How to get there is still a mystery to me.
**I now look at the book as a source of ideas and inspirations but I can now see how they were created. **

-The book is not very logically laid out so I would not recommend it for total beginners at all who are looking for a step by step approach. For example the author spends time talking about tools needed and then just jumps into showing you images of tangles with no guidance on how to start at all. I found that frustrating and I struggled to make head or tail of what was going on.
**I maintain that if you are a total beginner and have no clue what on earth a tangle is, its better to look at a basic website first before attempting the tangles in this book. One website has a template of squares you can download free which greatly helps you start [...]
This totally changed my perspective and now the book looks quite logical**

However if you want to add to your collection of ideas or get inspiration, this book might be good. But you need to know the basics first.
I'm rating this as a 2 star from my point of view, as a total novice.
-I cannot say how helpful this book would be to a more experienced person as the patterns are truly gorgeous and inspiring. In fact I am considering keeping this book just for the prettiness factor of the designs and getting a beginners guide to learn the basics.
**I did keep the book and now refer to it a lot. I didn't need a beginners guide after all . Lots of people gave me great links on the web (see comments)which took all the mystery out of the process.

-But I do think the product description needs to be more explicit and less misleading.
**I do think amazon should say something like 'take your tangling further' or 'be inspired to make art with simple tangles'**

**THANKS to everyone who commented on my post and helped me on my way to 'tangling' and really loving this book! If you are a total newbie do look at the comments- there are some great video links and websites to help you start.**

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, May 9, 2010
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
Out of the three zentangle books I bought, this is the only one worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kids Tangle...Unexpectedly...., March 3, 2011
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
My Mother who is approaching 70 wanted to start "Tangling" as a hobby, so for her birthday I purchased the supplies and this book. When it got to my home I couldn't put it down because it spoke to the frustrated artist in me! As a busy Mom, I never have time to do projects, but this looked so easy, needed little supplies and you could fit it into your day. So I grabbed some of the supplies I had on hand and started tangle and couldn't stop. When my kids got off the school bus...they were intrigued....looked through the book and asked if they could give it a try! (They are boys 9 and 12). An hour later we all had smiles on our faces and tangles completed. A week later the fridge is full of tangles from all of us, the book is a bit "used" and I had to order another today for my Mother, as we will not be giving this one up. In fact I ordered the second book as well. This is a hobby that transcends age and ability which is fabulous. My boys tangles are frame worthy and I'm finally getting a little creativity back into my life. ( one last note...it is very relaxing, almost like meditating. My 12 year old son even remarked how nice it is to do before bed because it relaxes him!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, October 12, 2010
Phoenicia (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I am the very happy owner of both this book and the 'Zentangle' series (which I all reviewed at the Zentangle Basics book).

This book is a bit more 'sophisticated' than the Zentangle series. The patterns are more complex, the drawings more artistic. If 'basic' books on drawing techniques are generally a bit too basic for you, I would recommend this book over the Zentangle series.

If you are insecure about your drawing skills, or are easily overwhelmed by a book filled to the brim with ideas and possibilies, I would recommend Zentangle Basics or Zentangle 2, in stead of, or together with, this book.

This book does give you the basics, but does not dwell on it too much. It quickly goes onto the next step: more complex patterns and designs and what you can do with all of these lovely patterns - and you can do A LOT with them.

Have fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pictures and details, May 12, 2011
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I was excited to see this book and loved the format. The book is well laid out with good graphics and instructions. Unfortunately for me, I needed something more basic. I wanted a book with simple patterns that could repeat well inside a space. I found most of the material in the book was better in a linear way and didn't fit my need for inside the box fillers. Not the books fault, just not what I was needing.

5.0 out of 5 stars VEEERY PLEASED, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I can't speak for experienced tanglers, as I'm not one yet, but as a newbie, I just want to say, "Thank you, Ms. Bartholomew." I just learned about Zentangle a couple of weeks ago on a YouTube video. Last week, I received a kit I ordered from their main Web site. I was excited to have all these supplies, but disappointed to have very minimal guidance. Tonight I received this book and I'm more excited to tangle than ever!!! This book has all sorts of info, from supplies, to grammar (For example, tangle is a verb, but not Zentangle!), to the most important, a SLEW of tangles with step by step pictures demonstrating how to create them one stroke at a time. I literally order from Amazon at least twice a week and this is probably the second review I've ever bothered to write! I found this book that wonderful. If you want to tangle, ORDER THIS BOOK! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly very addicted!, July 26, 2010
This review is from: Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond (Paperback)
I'll keep this short and sweet. This book opened up my creative abilities because you literally cannot do something the 'wrong' way. For a person inclined towards excessive 'perfectionism', this was a real eye-opener. I never thought I'd be doodling and drawing so many lovely little designs, WITH A PEN! Normally I'm stuck to pencil and eraser so I can get rid of 'mistakes'. Only had this book a month and already my new Moleskine book is full of wonderful little ink drawings. Thank you so much for making this book available! Now it's finally about the creativity and not 'getting it just right'.

Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond by Sandy Steen Bartholomew (Paperback - January 1, 2010)
$16.99 $14.54