5.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR -- It's always the perfect color!
When I'm in New York, I spend a lot more time walking. (You have to be crazy to drive in Manhattan.) This Classic Clear Bubble Umbrella by Totes will keep you dry from the subway to the museum to the book store, etc., etc., etc.!

It keeps you dry, it doesn't block your vision, and the best part is that it keeps other people's umbrella's out of your face...
Published on June 14, 2008 by J. Arena

1.0 out of 5 stars great while it lasted (not long!)
Published on April 22, 2011 by WorkingMom

1.0 out of 5 stars great while it lasted (not long!), April 22, 2011
I have had this umbrella for about 2 years, only using it occasionally because it's so large and I just keep it my car and only use it if it literally pours. It was great, I could see the traffic through it, attention grabbing design - until it just came apart the other day. All the plastic came off the top tip and it also started ripping. I expect a quality umbrella (I paid full price $22 plus shipping on it because I couldn't find it locally) to last much longer than this.

To exercise the lifetime warranty I would have to pay to ship it back to totes (too much for a large, bulky, fairly heavy umbrella like this) and pay an extra $5 ... no thanks! For that amount of money I could easily just buy a new umbrella.

I am very disappointed in totes and the quality!

UPDATE:
I contacted totes consumer services about this and I actually only had to send back the wraparound closure strap that gathers the material to indicate the color--not the handle strap--and the white nylon tag stitched into
the inside material ˝ to indicate the style--not the warranty card (which you can do in a regular envelope for 44 cents). They told me to discard the remaining umbrella. For $5 I was allowed to choose any umbrella from their collection (I didn't want to take a chance on another bubble umbrella). - VERY HAPPY about this kind of customer service. The new umbrella I received very fast in the mail afterwards seems to be very sturdy and well made - and - if anything goes wrong with it during its lifetime, I know now how to exercise the "lifetime warranty".

5.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR -- It's always the perfect color!, June 14, 2008

It keeps you dry, it doesn't block your vision, and the best part is that it keeps other people's umbrella's out of your face!

Be advised, you should let it dry off if you are closing it up for the rest of the day. The plastic can get kind of stuck together a bit because of the trapped dampness. But, it dries naturally in a very short time.

If you want a really GOOD umbrella, the Classic Clear Bubble Umbrella by Totes is absolutely the one to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, clear, big., November 9, 2010
You will want to rinse and wipe the umbrella down before use as it arrives coated in a powder a bit like talc, as stated in other reviews. The umbrella's actual material is just like an inflatable pool toy or raft: Thick, glossy vinyl, rather than the sort of nylon that covers most umbrellas. This actual material wasn't as tight as I thought it would be, and I worry about it stretching to slacken with time. Still, it seems very sturdy and well made. It is a full 37" closed. The handle is clear acrylic. The shaft is metal, as are the tines. The sliding center sprocket from which the tines spread is also clear acrylic. That piece might break if mistreated. The tip/point is fully 4" long, frosted silver metal, and capped with chromed metal. Opened with my head inside, it encloses my body well past my shoulders. Good.
---
1 YR UPDATE: I've had this umbrella more than 1 year, and it isn't broken. I don't use it so often, now, because I switched to a folding golf umbrella. Also, there is a reason why it comes coated with talc. If it has been sitting folded for a time, you have to peel it away from itself. Anyone who has unfolded a stored vinyl pool toy knows this sort of peeling. The plastic isn't degraded or weakened, it just adheres like a band-aid to itself, especially if it's been in the back of a hot car. I think if you tried to force it open without first peeling the folds apart, the tines might break. So, it is fairly solid, but the clear bubble effect was achieved by using pool toy material.

5.0 out of 5 stars if i'd had this umbrella when i was a teenager, i probably wouldn't have listened to marilyn manson, June 2, 2010
B.W. (Ohio, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Old ladies stop me in the street to ask where I got this amazing polka dot umbrella. When I walk with it on campus, other peoples' umbrellas blow themselves inside out in a fit of umbrellan jealousy. Somehow, I'm a better singer when I carry this umbrella. Once, this umbrella shielded me from a bullet. Am planning to take a trip with this umbrella, Mary Poppins-style.

It doesn't fit in my purse or anything but, hey, that's the price one pays.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazin umbrella!, December 3, 2008
I always recieve such amazing compliments on this umbrella! also no matter how hard the wind blows this umbrella will NEVER turn inside out because of it! I live in hurricane-central and I love this umbrella! its great for my hair!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when in use, but I hate closing it up, May 2, 2009
The umbrella is cute and very practical for keeping the rain off. It is also great for talking on the cell phone on windy days if held low enough over your head.

So far, I have used this umbrella maybe 9 or 10 times since purchased (I live in Washington state so it gets used!). Without exception, closing it up after use has resulted in me pinching the skin on my fingers. The closure lever you squeeze to activate is way up under the open umbrella. Mine is very hard to press down enough to close it and once I get the needed grip on the lever to do so, it invariably snags me when it works.

I would pay more for the same umbrella if it were collapsible and had the push button closer to the handle. I will continue to use it with the hope the lever will either break-in and eventually require less of a grip to activate or that I will find a way to grip it very firmly that high up the shaft without pinching myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again! Love this umbrella., February 16, 2012
This umbrella is great! Sturdy and just the right size for me and my 6 month old. It provides great coverage while allowing my 6 month old and I a view. While using it I can honestly say we did not get wet. Great purchase and worth the cost. Would definitely purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny ... and more!, December 2, 2010
I put a lot of thought into the right umbrella and this met all expectations. That it is clear helps me navigate the crowded sidewalks of NYC. It is not shallow and wide, but narrow and tall/deep. So the footprint is smaller on crowded sidewalks, and i don't need to lift it to see where i'm going. This design not only maintains the small footprint - but also keeps me dry. The bonus - while it is not a wind-buster - the fact that i don't have to lift it to see from under, coupled w/ the narrow/tall design makes it MUCH less likely to be picked up from the wind. The wind would have to come from very low and sweep up to catch in this umbrella. I think I will buy a 2nd for a backup - and maybe some gifts too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong for those awful gusts & rains in winter; cute to boot, November 8, 2009
nomdeplume "nomdeplume" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
The only "con" in this goes with any heavy-duty umbrella, which is the bulk (obviously it isn't compactable like some totes umbrellas), and the weight. However, my compactable umbrella can barely stand up to some of the winds & rains that fall & winter dishes out, and I have to do the please-don't-flip-inside-out dance with it. With this umbrella there's no way I'm going to have that problem, and it provides plenty of coverage so I don't arrive soaked at my destination. A plus is that it's colorful *and* see-through, so you can see where you're going, and have some playful fun with your rain gear when it's grey out. Another plus is that since it comes down over you (thus providing lots of protection), you also don't have to worry about getting whacked by someone else's umbrella, or hitting them with it.
Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella, January 18, 2007
Shop Girl (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought this umbrella as a gift. I was specifically looking for a clear bubble umbrella with white trim and expected it to be so when I placed the order, but upon receipt, I found that it actually has silver trim. That's why my review gets 4 stars because there isn't a clear picture of the item on the web and you don't know what to expect exactly. But to be fair, I was pleasantly surprised because of the quality. Its construction is so much better than the bubble umbrellas I've seen in stores. The frame is quite sturdy and the handle is very substantial. The handle seems to be made of lucite, and starts off silver and fades to clear, which is pretty cool. It even has a lifetime warranty. I would recommend it. It's a great umbrella that looks stylish, and you can see where you're walking without any obstruction. What better way to enjoy the rain? The person I gave this too loved it.

Totes Clear Bubble Umbrella