4.0 out of 5 stars Good umbrella with one annoying feature

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good news, some bad news
Published on March 20, 2010 by BuyerOfThings

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good news, some bad news, March 20, 2010
BuyerOfThings (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
The best thing about this umbrella is the compact size and the ease with which it automatically opens. Step out of your car, press a button, swoosh!, and umbrella is open. Very easy to open. The small size makes it very convenient to carry in a back pack or regular size purse. Closing the umbrella is more challenging, you have to use a bit of extra strength to retract and push down the umbrella stem. I also really like the appearance of the umbrella, and the handle - simple and modern. Some downsides: After using this umbrella through about a dozen rainy days this year, I noticed the steel arms holding up the umbrella canopy are starting to rust. Also, on a particularly windy day, the canopy flipped inside out, and a couple of steel arms became twisted out of shape. The result is that the umbrella does open, but not all the way as it used to. There is a lifetime warranty, and Totes will replace the umbrella, but you have to pay about $10.00 or so shipping/handling plus the cost to ship it to Totes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good umbrella with one annoying feature, June 27, 2009
Good umbrella. Haven't had it open in high winds yet so I don't know how sturdy it is, but it seems well made. The only annoying feature of the umbrella is that is hard to open without using the automatic open feature. Basically it's hard to open from the extended pole-closed umbrella position, so you have to close the pole part as well. It's only annoying and not really a problem. It may also loosen up as it gets used more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Tiny Umbrella, January 12, 2012
Since I commute on a train, I needed a small and lightweight umbrella for those wonderful Texas thunderstorms. Looking around for a while, I finally settled on this model by Totes. In a nutshell, here's what I thought of the Totes Micro Auto Open/Auto Close Umbrella.

GOOD
- very small and compact, lightweight design
- auto open feature is very nice. Just push a button and you're good to go!
- also includes a protective sleeve for storage

BAD
- auto close feature just collapses the canopy, you still have to manually collapse the telescoping handle
- until you manually collapse the telescoping handle, you can't use the auto open button again to deploy the canopy
- the end of the handle features a clear lucite that can crack easily

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke the first week, March 30, 2010
Very small, looks cute, lightweight, mechanism design is ingenious. But it broke the first week I had it. Unacceptable.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad quality, April 5, 2010
This review is from: Totes Ladies Signature Micro Auto Open Auto Close Compact Umbrella (Apparel)
One of the metal ribs broke the second time I opened the umbrella on the first day I used it. Totes quality has really gone downhill.

3.0 out of 5 stars Color was off., January 17, 2014
TYhe umbrella was very nice, however the colors were not what they appeared online. Dots which appearded burgandy were in fact orangy and did not match the coat it was meant to go with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true, October 19, 2009
I also have a Totes automatic opening umbrella. The problem is that I have had it less than a year, have hardly used and already it is broken. Last week we had a couple days of rain so I took it with me to run a couple of errands. When I left the store, I pushed the button for it to open. Upon opening, three of the pieces that fit over the wire were not attached onto the wire. I had to stop to fit the two pieces over the wires. The third piece was not even there to apply onto the wire. The umbrella was not like this when I left my house. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated. The umbrella itself is a nice umbrella and I love the pattern. Nonetheless, because of the problems it created for me, it became a nuisance.

This week I plan to return the umbrella for an exchange and hopefully will be able to get the same pattern. However, I do agree with the other person that commented that there is the cost of enclosing a check with the umbrella, paying for a container to return it and also paying postage to return it along with gasoline. Hopefully, this does not become a frequent occurrence or I will be one unhappy customer. We will see how things go.

Carolyn

1.0 out of 5 stars Will never buy another Totes Umbrella, August 13, 2011
Texas Expat (Shanghai, China) - See all my reviews
I've never had great luck with Totes umbrellas, but they are small and light. Bought this one for use while on assignment in Shanghai. It broke literally the first time it was opened without ever seeing the rain. Unfortunately, I'm outside the return period and sending it to Totes for repair from China is not worth the cost. I also have an RST 39" windproof umbrella and, although relatively heavy, it has held up well. I'll go with RST in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic daily umbrella!, March 15, 2009
What can I say. A very well made umbrella that is small when folded and large when opened. LOVE IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars never again, April 4, 2010
Lasted ONE day - the internal hinge on one of the support arm broke and also pulled away from umbrella. No big winds, no trauma - just broke! So disappointed - never buy a totes umbrella again
Dave