Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 6, 2014
It broke after three uses - no heavy wind (no noticeable wind at all, really). I was sitting on the train, tightening up the band to close it, and then I heard a snap. The wood of the stick had broken apart, and I barely moved it. I have owned this umbrella for a month but only used it three times - the first two times were unnecessary as it was only light rain and no wind.

DO NOT purchase. It looks good, but it's not sturdy at ALL.
review image review image
22 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2012
I have had this umbrella for a week now, after buying one each for my husband and myself - one in black and the other in the British tan colour. The colours were both nice and well represented by the image on the screen. Delivery was prompt.

They appear to be solid enough to handle light to moderately heavy winds but I doubt they would hold up to severe winds... but then I haven't had an umbrella that would.

The auto open mechanism is very handy. I appreciate (living in Seattle) the ability to quickly open up the brolly without struggling and getting wet in the mean-time. It doesn't seem to be flimsy, so I hope it will continue to work as well as it currently does.

The reason I didn't give this umbrella 5/5: Firstly, the "wooden" handle seems to be a laminate product or a very cheap looking wood on close inspection. Secondly, the black umbrella was missing one of the two nails that secure the TOTES logo to the handle. Nothing major, but to get a 5/5 rating it would need to have all the little things covered.

I'm sure this umbrella will see plenty of use this winter, so if my review changes I'll update it accordingly. For now, I'm satisfied with the purchase and for $20 I would easily recommend it to a friend.
on April 9, 2014
If you live in NYC (or any city) and need a good looking umbrella that actually works, then this is for you. Much better than the ones the guys on the corner are selling or the lousy ones at Duane Reade/CVS.

- Construction: Strong. Holds up during windy days, not indestructible like the all-weather kind but does the job just fine.
- Style: Looks like a $100+ umbrella with the wood handle and nice tip. Classic style. Got a lot of compliments
- Cost: Its not too expensive where you will kill yourself if you leave it at a bar or somewhere.
on July 6, 2013
I ordered 10 of these for a stage show; they survived 5 shows a week for six weeks, being opened and closed and swung around for two hours a night, and by the end of the run only one of them had popped a small stitch. I wanted a smooth, reliable automatic open and close, and these delivered. Granted, they never got wet, but I'm betting they'd keep water off just fine.
Although labelled a man's umbrella, it is the perfect size for a 5'7" woman in heels. The arch of the umbrella keeps the rain off of me and my bags. It is strong because it hasn't broken under strong gusts of wind, and it isn't heavy at all. It is also large enough that it covers me and my bags, or me and another person snuggly, although it is too large to go through any doorways without being closed.

My one complaint is that the handle is not real wood, it is plastic (like the toy plastic light-sabers in Walmart) and incredibly slippery and hard to hold on to when dry. When wet, it is even harder to hold onto. Because the handle is light plastic and the rest of the umbrella is metal or stronger material, it makes the umbrella top heavy as well (tough for weaker wrists).
on November 19, 2012
This is a superb umbrella! It has classic styling, a solid wooden handle and a wide diameter when open that does an excellent job of keeping the rain out. I haven't tested it in heavy winds, but I am sure it will hold up there as well.
on April 2, 2014
Great umbrella for those windy Florida showers (or any other state that is fortunate enough to get crazy rainy weather). It has never plopped backwards in the relentless wind like so many flimsy umbrellas have done to me in the past. The color has not faded and doesn't look as though it has any plans on doing so. It is wide enough to cover all of me... not just my head. And lastly, I'm in love with the wooden hook for the handle; so classy.
on November 4, 2014
The first one arrived with the handle shattered (all wood), Amazon was great about sending me a replacement. The next one arrived in new condition, however after lightly using it for one week the handle shattered in the same place. It happened one day when I went to open it up, after pressing the button I pointed the umbrella to the sky and the handle pushed up through the shaft splitting the wooden handle.The problem is due to the type of wood and how it's attached to the shaft. Both are made of wood (handle and shaft), but if the handle was properly glued to the shaft to begin with I don't think this would have happened. Still, knowing that this product could be so easily broken I sent it back and will be looking for another brand made of metal parts. I thought about getting a third replacement and pulling it apart and glueing it all together tightly before it broke, but I just couldn't bring myself to support this product with my money again. If I have to fix it when I first get it, then the manufacturer is doing something wrong. It's a darn shame because I had high hopes for this product. The umbrella portion seems sturdy, but cannot be sure due to the handle ending that opportunity, twice.
I always hold off reviewing an umbrella for a month or two to be sure they withstand a few actual storms. This Isotoner has and seems as though it will withstand many more. I am not a huge fan of stick umbrellas--I always feel like a British banker carrying them closed. And this one is no exception. A nuisance to carry, but the broader coverage and protection it gives is worth that small inconvenience when you are dressed up and want more than your head protected against the rain.
on November 23, 2014
I have used this umbrella maybe 15 times in the rain. It is still an umbrella, with all of its parts. In general, I expect umbrellas to start breaking about now, but this one has not yet. Also, it's cute and hard to leave behind because it's huge.