4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
Published on May 10, 2010 by In Search of Value

1.0 out of 5 stars Randomly Broke After 2 Uses, Warranty is a Joke
Published on April 7, 2011 by C. Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, May 10, 2010
I needed a replacement umbrella for my old Totes umbrella that did so well for so many years. I was looking for an umbrella to keep in my purse for the unpredictable spring weather in New England. Overall I give this umbrella high marks. It's compact and lightweight so it fits easily in my bag. It opens to a nicely sized canopy that's large enough to keep me dry but small enough that it's not too cumbersome to walk down a busy street with. It's durable and does a pretty good job standing up to the gusty winds that come off the Boston Harbor. I'm docking a star because the push button open is great but my favorite umbrella also has a push button close that's awesome if the wind is picking up and you need the umbrella to close quickly and this one doesn't do that. Other than that this is a nice looking, well made, durable, and very functional. It's not perfect but it's awfully close.

1.0 out of 5 stars Randomly Broke After 2 Uses, Warranty is a Joke, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Totes Ladies Signature Basic Automatic Compact Umbrella (Apparel)
The bottom handle (clear portion) of the umbrella broke off while I was picking it up (yes, just picking it up, I didn't even drop it or anything), and now I'm left with a difficult-to-carry product. The handle was attached by several 1mm thick plastic nubs that snapped clean off. Very poor design and it's just asking for failure. I looked up the warranty, and it looks like you'll need to pay postage shipping to them, AND you have to pay them $5 for "shipping" back. This turns out to be nearly equal to the price I originally paid for the umbrella. No thanks totes, instead you'll get a bad review and I'm getting another brand umbrella. I've had dollar store umbrellas last longer than this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy, it broke under a slight wind., March 15, 2011
I bought this umbrella for my husband for Xmas. It looks beautiful and it is very elegant and nice. But the second time he used it a gust of light wind caught it and turned inside out breaking the cloth that binds it to one of the little axes. Quite sad, given that the umbrella does look great and it is very nicely designed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke in a Month, July 24, 2011
This was a nice umbrella when it worked. Small when closed, and a nice size when open. Too bad the shaft came apart in just about a month. I have a cheap Wal-Mart umbrella that has lasted longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this umbrella, September 1, 2010
I keep this umbrella in my backpack, so I wanted something light and compact. This umbrella fills the bill! I used it today while walking to the post office. It's well made and not flimsy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy umbrella, October 30, 2010
Clean, strong umbrella. It is fairly priced and looks neat. Similar umbrella sells for 40% more in stores. Very happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, December 25, 2012
NNA007 (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This umbrella will not last long due to the poor quality of this product. I wish I had seen it before purchasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken within a year, October 15, 2012
I bought this in January this year, and it is broken already after less than 10 months. One of the spokes broke into 2 pieces, and another is bent. I do not recommend this product:

Pro:
+ Small and light (fit into my backpack)
+ Auto-open works well

Con:
- Fragile
- Unsteady in strong wind
- Short product lifespan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous versions., September 2, 2011
The silver aesthetic cap on the push button pops off after the 1st close. It does not affect the operation but it does not look as nice if it falls off. Plan to superglue yours back on as soon as you get it. I bought 3 and this happened on all 3. I don't know how this would have passed quality control. I had a previous version of this umbrella that did not have this issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use in bad weather., February 22, 2013
As an umberella it works fine so long as you don't use it in weather conditions above a light wind. Small breezes are capable of ripping the cheap aluminium in half, tearing the canopy from the stem. This is a fine umbrella for the windless, sunny seasons. A poor choice for rain and breezy weather.