Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Totes Signature Basic Automatic Compact Umbrella
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 10, 2010
I needed a replacement umbrella for my old Totes umbrella that did so well for so many years. I was looking for an umbrella to keep in my purse for the unpredictable spring weather in New England. Overall I give this umbrella high marks. It's compact and lightweight so it fits easily in my bag. It opens to a nicely sized canopy that's large enough to keep me dry but small enough that it's not too cumbersome to walk down a busy street with. It's durable and does a pretty good job standing up to the gusty winds that come off the Boston Harbor. I'm docking a star because the push button open is great but my favorite umbrella also has a push button close that's awesome if the wind is picking up and you need the umbrella to close quickly and this one doesn't do that. Other than that this is a nice looking, well made, durable, and very functional. It's not perfect but it's awfully close.
44 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2011
The bottom handle (clear portion) of the umbrella broke off while I was picking it up (yes, just picking it up, I didn't even drop it or anything), and now I'm left with a difficult-to-carry product. The handle was attached by several 1mm thick plastic nubs that snapped clean off. Very poor design and it's just asking for failure. I looked up the warranty, and it looks like you'll need to pay postage shipping to them, AND you have to pay them $5 for "shipping" back. This turns out to be nearly equal to the price I originally paid for the umbrella. No thanks totes, instead you'll get a bad review and I'm getting another brand umbrella. I've had dollar store umbrellas last longer than this one.
44 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2011
This was a nice umbrella when it worked. Small when closed, and a nice size when open. Too bad the shaft came apart in just about a month. I have a cheap Wal-Mart umbrella that has lasted longer.
on February 22, 2013
As an umberella it works fine so long as you don't use it in weather conditions above a light wind. Small breezes are capable of ripping the cheap aluminium in half, tearing the canopy from the stem. This is a fine umbrella for the windless, sunny seasons. A poor choice for rain and breezy weather.
review image
on March 15, 2011
I bought this umbrella for my husband for Xmas. It looks beautiful and it is very elegant and nice. But the second time he used it a gust of light wind caught it and turned inside out breaking the cloth that binds it to one of the little axes. Quite sad, given that the umbrella does look great and it is very nicely designed.
on October 30, 2010
Clean, strong umbrella. It is fairly priced and looks neat. Similar umbrella sells for 40% more in stores. Very happy with it.
on December 25, 2012
This umbrella will not last long due to the poor quality of this product. I wish I had seen it before purchasing.
on September 1, 2010
I keep this umbrella in my backpack, so I wanted something light and compact. This umbrella fills the bill! I used it today while walking to the post office. It's well made and not flimsy.
on December 14, 2013
Design: I wanted a nice umbrella to be able to use to/from work, and the metro dot design certainly suits that professional look while still remaining cute and feminine.
Open: The button works well to open the umbrella instantly, and I like that it doesn't shoot out too fast.
Close: I find it difficult to close. You really have to press the handle all the way in until it clicks, and sometimes I have to put my hand at the top to give it that final push. This usually means my hand gets unnecessarily wet or I'm awkwardly stalling in a lobby holding things up.
Sturdiness: The umbrella itself feels really sturdy, and I have yet to question it when strong gusts of wind come by. The base/handle, however, seems a little wobbly.

I was debating between 3 or 4 stars. Given the price, I've gone with 4
on October 15, 2012
I bought this in January this year, and it is broken already after less than 10 months. One of the spokes broke into 2 pieces, and another is bent. I do not recommend this product:

Pro:
+ Small and light (fit into my backpack)
+ Auto-open works well

Con:
- Fragile
- Unsteady in strong wind
- Short product lifespan