5.0 out of 5 stars Micro Is Right
Published on June 9, 2009 by MyBeesWax

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to open
The umbrella is very attractive,relatively heavy for its small size. It was extremely difficult to open, and after a neighbor had difficulty also, I decided to return it.
Published on February 19, 2010 by Sheila

5.0 out of 5 stars Micro Is Right, June 9, 2009
MyBeesWax "A Music Fan" (The Heart of the Golden State) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This Micro Umbrella by Totes is compact for putting in your backpack or purse. When deployed, it is as big as a full-sized umbrella. I've had my Totes Micro Umbrella for a few years and it's held up to strong winds and heavy rain. It may not be the the spring-loaded kind that opens up automatically with the press of a button, but it folds up very compact (approximately 8-3/4" in length and 5-1/2" in diameter). The craftsmanship is superb, from the stitching on the velcro strap and the canopy, to the skeletal frame and the telescoping handle - the quality is simply top-notch. The Micro Umbrella is, in sum, practical, well-made, durable, and *compact*. I'm extremely pleased with it. Definitely recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to open, February 19, 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!, February 1, 2010
I bought this for my daughter. It did not lock in the open position on the first try and was very flimsy, I was dissapointed that other reviewers recommended this item. Amazon made returning it very easy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two years in the weather, April 24, 2012
Well, I'm disappointed with this umbrella. I don't use it that often; I'm generally on the bus and it doesn't rain so hard here (in Seattle) that I need it very often. So it's seen light use over about two years.

How's it holding up? Well, there's rust all over. I don't make a habit of putting it away when it's wet; it gets time to dry. It's completely silly to me that rust is an issue on a product designed to get wet.

On top of the rust, it's separated on one of the points so it looks a little shabby and doesn't fold as neatly. Others are weakening.

I'm not a guy who abuses stuff; I drive a 1988 Accord with 250k miles, for example; I treat it nice, and it lasts. This umbrella wasn't abused. It was out in Seattle's famously mild weather with light wind and light rain and it just hasn't held up.

I love the size. It fits right into my little bag when it's folded; very compact. When it's open, it's plenty of cover for one person, but a bit too small to share.

I wish I knew another umbrella to recommend instead; if someone has a recommendation for one this size that won't rust and is a little more durable, I'd happily pay twice what I paid for this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after one use, in LA, December 19, 2010
I decided to spend a little bit extra on an umbrella because I'm tired of them breaking on me. I liked that this one had a lifetime warranty.

During my first use the tiny stitching at the end of one of the arms broke. I live in LA, so we're not talking about a gale or anything like that.

I could have it repaired under warranty, but then I'd have to pay to ship it to Totes and they require $5 to send it back, and on top of that I'd be without the umbrella during a length of time equal to the whole LA rainy season. Given what the umbrella costs originally, thats just not helpful.

Long story short, I fixed it myself and will continue to use it, but its not much better than an umbrella of half the price and the warranty is a non-warranty in that its such a burden to use it, its worse than buying a new one.

1.0 out of 5 stars too small & rust, July 20, 2012
Don't buy this ! its very small, would not open all the way. Used it once and rust with in no time.
too late to return to amazon by the time I'm back to the state with this umbrella.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of crap, September 15, 2011
piece of crap is no exaggeration--this umbrella is really cheesy-super flimsy--plus the mechanism was broken AND there is a hole in it! I'm amazed you'd have sent it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not BAD, December 7, 2010
MG (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Yes, this is a manual umbrella. It takes a little work to get it open and then closed, and even once you get it closed I can never get it where all the bits of fabric are perfectly tucked inside... but hey, for as small as it is (can fit in my purse) when it is folded up, I will take it! Plus the purple color is great. If you don't mind taking a moment longer to open or close your umbrella, and are looking for a TINY one (once folded), go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size for a backpack, February 1, 2010
I bought this for my son to carry in his backpack. It is the perfect size. The only drawback is that he clipped it to hang from his backpack and the handle extends when he runs. Other than that, it's perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality!, January 24, 2010
Billy Sheehan (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
While this umbrella has a perfect size, its pieces bent out of place the second time I used it with the force of the wind. Very poor quality, I've never had an umbrella prove defective so soon. I was able to bend it back into place, but I don't think this umbrella will last me very long.

Rate and Discover Movies