5.0 out of 5 stars USUALLY HATE UMBRELLAS, BUT...
I hate using umbrellas. Walking around Manhattan on a rainy day w/an umbrella just slows you down. Secondly, and more importantly, every time I get an umbrella that I actually like to use, I lose it.

Published on October 1, 2010 by Steve Colon

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Ivory model is NOT WATERPROOF
You read that correctly. This umbrella is not waterproof! I bought the black + ivory one and while the ivory-colored fabric seems ok, the water oozes right through the black sections and drips on me!

Published on September 6, 2011 by Adam D. Wishneusky

5.0 out of 5 stars USUALLY HATE UMBRELLAS, BUT..., October 1, 2010

My wife and I were heading to France to visit her family. She told me it would be rainy at the time of year we were going, so I went in search of an umbrella. This looked perfect as it promised room enough for 2, yet was very compact when closed. It fit very nicely in my carry-on luggage. Sure enough, when we got to Paris, it was raining. We had just got off the train from Marseille, still kinda jet-lagged and really hungry. Our hotel didn't offer any room service in the evenings, so I grabbed the umbrella and we went out.

I was really very pleasantly surprised at the coverage the umbrella afforded us, keeping us nice and dry. It's a drag to have to get wet when you're already tired and hungry. The auto close is AWESOME! Never had an umbrella with that before and I have to say it's very cool. Additionally, the mesh cover has two elastic loops that allow you to slip in on like you would a backpack, allowing you to carry the umbrella hands-free when not in use. More coolness.

Of course, I ended up losing it when I got back to NY. But I liked it so much that I'm ordering another one today. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Umbrella should do!, December 30, 2010
I purchased the Totes Superdome Auto Open/Auto Close umbrella in complete black and it's a purchase that I'm glad that I did.

The umbrella comes nicely packaged with a mesh sleeve that it fits into. The look is stout, with a classy feel that adds to the appeal. The sleeve that it comes with, is just plain okay, being a little tight and cumbersome to remove, due to the sliding clip on it's drawstring being difficult to release with a push. The size of the fully open umbrella is good enough for two or one very large individual.

It has a strong sturdy frame for those wind gusts that might blow your umbrella inside out. The 'push-button open feature' works very well by fully expanding from the retracted position at the base and the 'close feature' collapses the umbrella so you can manually pull the hood back to the base stem. The size of folded umbrella is shorter than most standard size umbrellas. It's not the smallest (but extremely good for its hood size), making it easy to store and carry around.

The one major drawback I would change, if I could, would be the handle size. It's not very ergonomic to the hand, being that it's small and short. The sturdy plastic handle feels strong enough but doesn't make for a feeling that you're gripping it well. If you can put that aside, an excellent umbrella to use.

Overall:

Pros -

* Looks great
* Comes with a mesh sleeve
* Large enough for two
* Sturdy frame (resists wind)
* Easy to take with you (small enough)
* Auto Opens and collapse closes

Cons -

* Tight packaging sleeve
* Handle is small and unassuring

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Ivory model is NOT WATERPROOF, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella (Apparel)

The automatic open AND close is the reason I bought it, and the size is great, but the above defect is unforgivable. The umbrella's only job is to be waterproof and it failed.

Also, the handle is a bit short. Only three fingers can wrap around it, making it uncomfortable on the fingers and writs to carry for more than 5-10 minutes. This applies to all styles. I'm guessing that only some will have the first issue I had, depending on the fabric used.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I had so far, December 1, 2009
Very small and compact when close, fit perfectly inside a small student backpack, yet open to a 56' umbrella - two people can easily fit inside
The materials are high quality even when compared to other band names such as London-Fog
very light, strong aluminum body, good auto open/close mechanism, and big and solid overall - perfect for a New York winter

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke first time I used it, March 24, 2011
Destroyed by mild wind after literally 20 seconds of use. I understand there's strength tradeoffs in packaging such a large umbrella into such a small package, but I didn't expect it to die after 20 seconds. I obviously can't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Demolished by wind, December 1, 2010
I used this umbrella twice. The second time was a windy and rainy day. After being open for 30 seconds, the umbrella blew apart. I've had $3 umbrellas that fared far better under similar conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, September 23, 2010
I bought this umbrella because I'm walking to work now and may old umbrella wasn't very useful. It was a standard size umbrella, and for short walks it was fine, but for anything more than 10 minutes I'd get too wet, not to mention my backpack.

This umbrella is way larger, more than enough to cover myself, my backpack, plus someone else. I tested it in windy weather only once; it resisted fine, even though the wind was pretty strong, with gusts changing directions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke the first time I used it - Really??, March 27, 2011
Bought this umbrella because I was tired of umbrellas that broke easily in the wind. Tried to use it in the rain the day it came in the mail, and shortly after trying to use it the opening mechanism broke. Despite all types of coercion, nothing could make the umbrella actually open and eventually it just straight up broke. I wasn't even really dealing with winds that messed it up, it just broke on its own. Don't know if it's a bad batch or what, but my purchase was hardly the reliable umbrella that has so many recommendations. Be weary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Size/Durability, but closing is a little difficult..., April 17, 2012
I like this umbrella a lot so far, and it has stood up to weather/conditions very well. Size is also very nice, to cover 2 people it works well, and it closes to a small enough size to fit in my bad comfortably.

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with the closing features- it makes sense that when you push the button once it opens (from completely closed down), however when you push the button to close it it only closes the umbrella portion, so you still have to reach up and grab the umbrella and pull it down to lock it into place. This wouldn't be such a big deal, but the force I need to use to pull it down to lock it is more than the average force I have used on other umbrellas.

***Closing hint (I learned the hard way): Be SURE to point the umbrella AWAY from you when you push the button to close it, ie 90º angle, unless you want a shower of water to come down on your head!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella, October 28, 2010
This is probably the nicest umbrella I have owned.

It is great value for the money.

The handle is a nicely molded rubberized plastic with a triangle grip and aluminum button.
It is fantastic to hold, but it is a little short.

The canopy is sufficiently large and keeps my pants dry.
It can pick up a wind and pull you back a little.

The canopy material is great at repelling water and retains very little.
It dries much faster than my previous umbrella

The framework on the canopy is aluminum and will never rust.

The auto open is very strong and openes with a very positive action.

The strap which holds the umbrella closed is a little small.
The only way to get the velcro to meet up is to roll it up very neatly.
This is the only bad thing about the umbrella.

The bag for the umbrella is a bit small and can be a tight squeeze.
However, this does not effect the umbrella performance and I'll probably lose the bag eventually anyway.

Overall, buy this umbrella you will not regret it. If you are on this page, Add to Cart.

Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella