5.0 out of 5 stars USUALLY HATE UMBRELLAS, BUT...
I hate using umbrellas. Walking around Manhattan on a rainy day w/an umbrella just slows you down. Secondly, and more importantly, every time I get an umbrella that I actually like to use, I lose it.

Published on October 1, 2010 by Steve Colon

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Ivory model is NOT WATERPROOF
You read that correctly. This umbrella is not waterproof! I bought the black + ivory one and while the ivory-colored fabric seems ok, the water oozes right through the black sections and drips on me!

Published on September 6, 2011 by Adam D. Wishneusky

5.0 out of 5 stars USUALLY HATE UMBRELLAS, BUT..., October 1, 2010

My wife and I were heading to France to visit her family. She told me it would be rainy at the time of year we were going, so I went in search of an umbrella. This looked perfect as it promised room enough for 2, yet was very compact when closed. It fit very nicely in my carry-on luggage. Sure enough, when we got to Paris, it was raining. We had just got off the train from Marseille, still kinda jet-lagged and really hungry. Our hotel didn't offer any room service in the evenings, so I grabbed the umbrella and we went out.

I was really very pleasantly surprised at the coverage the umbrella afforded us, keeping us nice and dry. It's a drag to have to get wet when you're already tired and hungry. The auto close is AWESOME! Never had an umbrella with that before and I have to say it's very cool. Additionally, the mesh cover has two elastic loops that allow you to slip in on like you would a backpack, allowing you to carry the umbrella hands-free when not in use. More coolness.

Of course, I ended up losing it when I got back to NY. But I liked it so much that I'm ordering another one today. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Umbrella should do!, December 30, 2010
I purchased the Totes Superdome Auto Open/Auto Close umbrella in complete black and it's a purchase that I'm glad that I did.

The umbrella comes nicely packaged with a mesh sleeve that it fits into. The look is stout, with a classy feel that adds to the appeal. The sleeve that it comes with, is just plain okay, being a little tight and cumbersome to remove, due to the sliding clip on it's drawstring being difficult to release with a push. The size of the fully open umbrella is good enough for two or one very large individual.

It has a strong sturdy frame for those wind gusts that might blow your umbrella inside out. The 'push-button open feature' works very well by fully expanding from the retracted position at the base and the 'close feature' collapses the umbrella so you can manually pull the hood back to the base stem. The size of folded umbrella is shorter than most standard size umbrellas. It's not the smallest (but extremely good for its hood size), making it easy to store and carry around.

The one major drawback I would change, if I could, would be the handle size. It's not very ergonomic to the hand, being that it's small and short. The sturdy plastic handle feels strong enough but doesn't make for a feeling that you're gripping it well. If you can put that aside, an excellent umbrella to use.

Overall:

Pros -

* Looks great
* Comes with a mesh sleeve
* Large enough for two
* Sturdy frame (resists wind)
* Easy to take with you (small enough)
* Auto Opens and collapse closes

Cons -

* Tight packaging sleeve
* Handle is small and unassuring

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Ivory model is NOT WATERPROOF, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella (Apparel)

The automatic open AND close is the reason I bought it, and the size is great, but the above defect is unforgivable. The umbrella's only job is to be waterproof and it failed.

Also, the handle is a bit short. Only three fingers can wrap around it, making it uncomfortable on the fingers and writs to carry for more than 5-10 minutes. This applies to all styles. I'm guessing that only some will have the first issue I had, depending on the fabric used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits in my backpack, February 24, 2013
Thiago M. Karashima (Brasilia, DF BRAZIL) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:25 Mins

The big thing about this umbrella is that it is a medium-big one and still fits nicely in my backpack. Materials that constitute it are of good quality and finish seems to be good too. I didn't had the opportunity yet to test it in harsh conditions and high frequent use. About the 56 inch; diameter, I've measured it. What they call 56 inch; diameter is actually it circumference. It is the length of the diametral circumference. The diameter itself under the plane covered by the umbrella is about 50 inch, not 56 inch as advertised. Still, it has enough space for two.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I had so far, December 1, 2009
Very small and compact when close, fit perfectly inside a small student backpack, yet open to a 56' umbrella - two people can easily fit inside
The materials are high quality even when compared to other band names such as London-Fog
very light, strong aluminum body, good auto open/close mechanism, and big and solid overall - perfect for a New York winter

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke first time I used it, March 24, 2011
Destroyed by mild wind after literally 20 seconds of use. I understand there's strength tradeoffs in packaging such a large umbrella into such a small package, but I didn't expect it to die after 20 seconds. I obviously can't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Demolished by wind, December 1, 2010
I used this umbrella twice. The second time was a windy and rainy day. After being open for 30 seconds, the umbrella blew apart. I've had $3 umbrellas that fared far better under similar conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, September 23, 2010
I bought this umbrella because I'm walking to work now and may old umbrella wasn't very useful. It was a standard size umbrella, and for short walks it was fine, but for anything more than 10 minutes I'd get too wet, not to mention my backpack.

This umbrella is way larger, more than enough to cover myself, my backpack, plus someone else. I tested it in windy weather only once; it resisted fine, even though the wind was pretty strong, with gusts changing directions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke the first time I used it - Really??, March 27, 2011
Bought this umbrella because I was tired of umbrellas that broke easily in the wind. Tried to use it in the rain the day it came in the mail, and shortly after trying to use it the opening mechanism broke. Despite all types of coercion, nothing could make the umbrella actually open and eventually it just straight up broke. I wasn't even really dealing with winds that messed it up, it just broke on its own. Don't know if it's a bad batch or what, but my purchase was hardly the reliable umbrella that has so many recommendations. Be weary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a month, March 30, 2014
I bought the Totes Signature SuperDome in Rainbow a month ago to replace the same umbrella I'd owned for two years. (I used my Amazon order history to repurchase, so in theory it should have been the exact same umbrella.) At first, it looked the same -- fun rainbow pattern, handy mesh sling. But the new umbrella felt different. Flimsier. More difficult to open and close. The wrist strap was much smaller and barely fit over my hands (and I'm a petite lady). Alas, after just a few uses, one of the arms snapped loose and bent upon closing. Ruined. I mean, the same thing happened to my original umbrella, but at least that took two years of frequent use to happen. Not just a single month with three or four uses. Totes has suffered from the same decline in quality I've experienced with pretty much all products these days.

Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella