5.0 out of 5 stars USUALLY HATE UMBRELLAS, BUT...
I hate using umbrellas. Walking around Manhattan on a rainy day w/an umbrella just slows you down. Secondly, and more importantly, every time I get an umbrella that I actually like to use, I lose it.

My wife and I were heading to France to visit her family. She told me it would be rainy at the time of year we were going, so I went in search of an umbrella. This...
Published on October 1, 2010 by Steve Colon

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Ivory model is NOT WATERPROOF
You read that correctly. This umbrella is not waterproof! I bought the black + ivory one and while the ivory-colored fabric seems ok, the water oozes right through the black sections and drips on me!

The automatic open AND close is the reason I bought it, and the size is great, but the above defect is unforgivable. The umbrella's only job is to be waterproof...
Published on September 6, 2011 by Adam D. Wishneusky

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella, October 28, 2010
This review is from: Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella (Apparel)
This is probably the nicest umbrella I have owned.

It is great value for the money.

The handle is a nicely molded rubberized plastic with a triangle grip and aluminum button.
It is fantastic to hold, but it is a little short.

The canopy is sufficiently large and keeps my pants dry.
It can pick up a wind and pull you back a little.

The canopy material is great at repelling water and retains very little.
It dries much faster than my previous umbrella

The framework on the canopy is aluminum and will never rust.

The auto open is very strong and openes with a very positive action.

The strap which holds the umbrella closed is a little small.
The only way to get the velcro to meet up is to roll it up very neatly.
This is the only bad thing about the umbrella.

The bag for the umbrella is a bit small and can be a tight squeeze.
However, this does not effect the umbrella performance and I'll probably lose the bag eventually anyway.

Overall, buy this umbrella you will not regret it. If you are on this page, Add to Cart.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke instantly, December 30, 2010
One of the spars (spines?) bent sideways the first time I opened it, or it was broken from the factory. And thus the auto-close feature didn't work.

Given the number of people who have left a review saying that theirs was broken on arrival, or broke very soon, I probably should have expected this.

The spines are U-shaped in cross section. Perhaps this is stronger than the traditional hollow tubes, but I don't think so. It probably just helps with folding. I suspect it makes these more susceptible to breaking like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, August 12, 2011
Unwrapped the umbrella and it opened on first press of the button. Pressed the button again to close and..... nothing. Pressed a few more times - still nothing. Eventually managed to close it manually.

So, second round. Pressed the button and, again, the umbrella opened first time. Pressing the button again and this time it did close. Unfortunately, it now won't open.

Back to Amazon this goes, and back to manual opening umbrellas for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, May 19, 2011
This is a piece of crap. Broke immediately upon first use. Auto close isn't as good as it sounds. Do not buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great umbrella, August 11, 2010
This umbrella is sturdy, opens easily, covers me well and is extremely convenient when going in and out of cars, buildings, etc. The auto-close feature allows me to stay dry in wet weather. I recommend the Auto Open/Auto Close umbrella to everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work! Jammed open and wouldn't close again., September 10, 2011
The first time I opened it, I pressed the auto-open button and it opened. I pressed it again to close - nothing happened. I then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if I was being dumb and there was some other way to make it close. Investigating online told me that the same button is indeed supposed to be pressed to close the umbrella. Might not have minded living without auto-close so much, but it was near impossible to manually close and right now it's tied shut but it still trying to spring free. It's going right back to Amazon. Shame - I really would have liked it if it had worked!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Living in NYC - love this umbrella, May 4, 2011
This is a fantastic umbrella. It's much bigger than I thought it would be - but otherwise exactly what I wanted. Very sturdy - and holds up well against the wind - as long as you know how to keep the umbrella into the wind. During one particularly intense rain - the umbrella "popped" (got turned inside out by the wind) - I "popped" it back into the correct position - and it works perfectly.

I live in NYC - and carry this to work every day during the spring rainy season - my coworkers (all long time NYC residents - I'm pretty new) all made fun of me for spending $24 on an umbrella since it would break so quickly (their prediction). I've had it now for about 3 months, and they're not making fun of me anymore - especially when it keeps them dry waiting for the food trucks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a month, March 30, 2014
I bought the Totes Signature SuperDome in Rainbow a month ago to replace the same umbrella I'd owned for two years. (I used my Amazon order history to repurchase, so in theory it should have been the exact same umbrella.) At first, it looked the same -- fun rainbow pattern, handy mesh sling. But the new umbrella felt different. Flimsier. More difficult to open and close. The wrist strap was much smaller and barely fit over my hands (and I'm a petite lady). Alas, after just a few uses, one of the arms snapped loose and bent upon closing. Ruined. I mean, the same thing happened to my original umbrella, but at least that took two years of frequent use to happen. Not just a single month with three or four uses. Totes has suffered from the same decline in quality I've experienced with pretty much all products these days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Umbrella leaks, and cannot withstand any strong winds., March 28, 2012
I have already received one replacement on the original purchase, and both umbrellas have leaked through the seems. This umbrella has not kept me dry at all and with a slight gust of wind, one of the arms broke as well. Please look elsewhere, this umbrella has caused me nothing but problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality isn't great, May 18, 2011
The moment there is rain and slight wind, do not expect to rely on this umbrella.

For rain with absolutely no wind, this umbrella is just fine. During even the slightest bit of wind, the umbrella feels like it's about to invert and break. Additionally, the handle is very short (not even the width of an average male hand). Because of this, the umbrella is able to shake around and can easily fly out of your hand.

Good: Size and coverage is enough to cover an adult with a large backpack, or 1.5 persons. Auto open/close is great, and the umbrella folds to a nice compact size (at least when new).

Bad: Quality is less than I expected. One day of slight wind caused the hinges of the umbrella to strain and bend. The umbrella no longer folds down to it's original size, and sometimes struggles to open fully and properly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›