4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good so far.
I have had this umbrella for a week now, after buying one each for my husband and myself - one in black and the other in the British tan colour. The colours were both nice and well represented by the image on the screen. Delivery was prompt.

Published on November 7, 2012 by Natty

1.0 out of 5 stars Wood Snapped After Three Uses - DO NOT BUY.
Published 1 month ago by SJND

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good so far., November 7, 2012
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)

They appear to be solid enough to handle light to moderately heavy winds but I doubt they would hold up to severe winds... but then I haven't had an umbrella that would.

The auto open mechanism is very handy. I appreciate (living in Seattle) the ability to quickly open up the brolly without struggling and getting wet in the mean-time. It doesn't seem to be flimsy, so I hope it will continue to work as well as it currently does.

The reason I didn't give this umbrella 5/5: Firstly, the "wooden" handle seems to be a laminate product or a very cheap looking wood on close inspection. Secondly, the black umbrella was missing one of the two nails that secure the TOTES logo to the handle. Nothing major, but to get a 5/5 rating it would need to have all the little things covered.

I'm sure this umbrella will see plenty of use this winter, so if my review changes I'll update it accordingly. For now, I'm satisfied with the purchase and for $20 I would easily recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect City Umbrella, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)
If you live in NYC (or any city) and need a good looking umbrella that actually works, then this is for you. Much better than the ones the guys on the corner are selling or the lousy ones at Duane Reade/CVS.

- Construction: Strong. Holds up during windy days, not indestructible like the all-weather kind but does the job just fine.
- Style: Looks like a $100+ umbrella with the wood handle and nice tip. Classic style. Got a lot of compliments
- Cost: Its not too expensive where you will kill yourself if you leave it at a bar or somewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfectly fine umbrella, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)
I ordered 10 of these for a stage show; they survived 5 shows a week for six weeks, being opened and closed and swung around for two hours a night, and by the end of the run only one of them had popped a small stitch. I wanted a smooth, reliable automatic open and close, and these delivered. Granted, they never got wet, but I'm betting they'd keep water off just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wood Snapped After Three Uses - DO NOT BUY., November 6, 2014
It broke after three uses - no heavy wind (no noticeable wind at all, really). I was sitting on the train, tightening up the band to close it, and then I heard a snap. The wood of the stick had broken apart, and I barely moved it. I have owned this umbrella for a month but only used it three times - the first two times were unnecessary as it was only light rain and no wind.

DO NOT purchase. It looks good, but it's not sturdy at ALL.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great angle, comfortable size, slippery handle, June 8, 2014
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)
Although labelled a man's umbrella, it is the perfect size for a 5'7" woman in heels. The arch of the umbrella keeps the rain off of me and my bags. It is strong because it hasn't broken under strong gusts of wind, and it isn't heavy at all. It is also large enough that it covers me and my bags, or me and another person snuggly, although it is too large to go through any doorways without being closed.

My one complaint is that the handle is not real wood, it is plastic (like the toy plastic light-sabers in Walmart) and incredibly slippery and hard to hold on to when dry. When wet, it is even harder to hold onto. Because the handle is light plastic and the rest of the umbrella is metal or stronger material, it makes the umbrella top heavy as well (tough for weaker wrists).

5.0 out of 5 stars A stylish and functional umbrella for the man on the go., November 19, 2012
This is a superb umbrella! It has classic styling, a solid wooden handle and a wide diameter when open that does an excellent job of keeping the rain out. I haven't tested it in heavy winds, but I am sure it will hold up there as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Umbrella won't stay closed, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)
I love the look and feel of the umbrella, but after using it for a week, the latch will no longer keep the umbrella closed. I have to use the velcro strap to keep it closed, otherwise it opens all by itself. I will have to purchase a new one. Don't waste your money on this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and classy!, April 2, 2014
Great umbrella for those windy Florida showers (or any other state that is fortunate enough to get crazy rainy weather). It has never plopped backwards in the relentless wind like so many flimsy umbrellas have done to me in the past. The color has not faded and doesn't look as though it has any plans on doing so. It is wide enough to cover all of me... not just my head. And lastly, I'm in love with the wooden hook for the handle; so classy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, don't buy, February 27, 2013
I used this umbrella all of 4 times before it completely fell apart. In the beginning it started popping open on its own when the velcro strap wasn't tightly secured around the closed umbrella and the bottom spring just wouldn't hold the runner cup in place. Then the top notch all of the sudden came off the tube and the open canopy just slid down to the crook handle. I couldn't close it any longer.
This umbrella looks nice but the just does not work. The manufacturing is poor and the overall quality is worse than a $3 umbrella you can buy on Canal street.
Very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks really nice but not the best quality, June 22, 2014
This review is from: Totes Men's Blue Line Auto Wooden Stick Umbrella (Apparel)
I purchased this umbra almost exactly a year ago.

Bads:
The quality isn't so great. The locking mechanism to keep the umbrella closed stopped working about 10 months after the purchase and now the umbrella won't stay closed unless I keep it strapped.

The stick part of the umbrella looks to be made of recycled wood (or other cheap material) and the wood lacquer on the stick gets scratched very easily.

Good:
That being said, it is a great looking umbrella and works well while it lasts. I've used the umbrella on some very windy days and it seemed to hold up fine.

I won't be buying this product again, but I would consider it if they'd improve the quality of the product. I wouldn't mind paying more for it if they made it to look just as good but with better quality.