4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read
Published on June 22, 2010 by ruthjoec

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Just Okay..
Published on July 19, 2010 by Kathi Wolynes

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, June 22, 2010
Some days you are in the mood for a book with an involved plot, lots of interesting characters, and language that practically sounds like poetry. Other days a good story with a few strong characters, and interesting setting and a fun but somewhat predictable plot fills the bill perfectly. Touching the Clouds: A Novel (Alaskan Skies) is the second type of book. It is a fun read and the Alaskan bush country during the 1930's is a setting that allows this book to move out of the typical romance mode (though it has romantic elements).

Kate was a pilot, in the days before that was what girls did. She rejected the guy next door, the close family and personal friend, as well as the conventional life he offered; choosing instead to head, by herself, with only her airplane, to Alaska. While there she meets and begins relationships with two men--one is a co-worker, nice, steady, kind, reliable....and the other is a guy to whom she delivers--and he obviously has a past with issues (but then so does Kate).

The book is Christian fiction. Kate's grandmother's Bible goes with her to Alaska and she reads it a few times. She prays when in trouble. Paul has rejected God because of tragedy in life. It is basically a clean romance/adventure with a little religion pasted on top--the faith lives of the characters are not a major part of the story nor is faith a primary mover for their actions.

The book was a great pool read and I recommend it. Grade: B+

Thanks to Donna Hausler and the Baker Publishing Group for providing a complimentary review copy of Touching the Clouds: A Novel (Alaskan Skies)

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Just Okay.., July 19, 2010
Touching The Clouds is the first book in the Alaskan Skies series and it centers on a young lady pilot, named Kate Evans. Kate is expected to settle down and raise a family, but adventure calls to her from the Northern frontier. So, Kate packs up her stuff, on what would have been her wedding day, climbs into her red Bellanca, and flies away from her parents and, her frightening past.

I'll say I liked this book, but, I didn't love it. I liked how Kate was adventurous and resourceful. I loved the action-packed flying scenes and all the details and info the author added to it. Ms. Leon had a way of making me want me to visit Alaska, yet with as detailed as it was, I felt as if I've been living there for years. The writing style was nice and the overall story was well written. Unfortunately, in Touching the Clouds throughout whole book, Kate had two men falling head over heels in love with her, but we barely get to join her on any of her dates and the closest we get to a kiss, wasn't until the very last page. I also felt that Kate's relationship with Paul was lacking detail. Aside from these issues, I enjoyed Touching The Clouds and I'll be on the lookout for the next next book in the Alaskan Skies series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching The Clouds, August 13, 2010
Lynn McCallum (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Touching The Clouds is the first book in the Alaskan Skies series. The story is set in Alaska in 1935, and is filled with much historical detail of Alaska before it became a state. Kate Evans leaves her home in Washington State to follow her dream of becoming an Alaskan bush pilot. Kate is "an adventurous and independent young woman with a pioneering spirit. Not only does she have to battle the challenges of the Alaskan wilderness, but she has to stand up to male pilots." She is "a lone woman in a man's world." Kate holds a secret in her heart, and is carrying a very heavy load of guilt, which proves to be an ever-present challenge. Can she overcome that? She faces a new challenge when she meets a man living in the wilderness. He, too, carries a burden which he is unwilling to share. "Can Kate break through the walls he has put up around his heart? And will fear keep her from realizing her dreams?"

I am so glad that this is just the first of a series. Touching The Clouds definitely left me wanting to hear more of the story. Prior to reading this book, I knew little of Alaskan history. But Bonnie brings both the time period and the characters to life. I felt as though I was walking the streets with Kate, or flying with her over the dangerous terrain, sharing in her adventures and challenges, and feeling with her as she came to grips with her emotions. Bonnie writes as one who knows her subject well, through research and experience. This book caused my heart to pound, and I found myself holding my breath and making sure my seat belt was tightly fastened. It was a wild ride! Thanks, Bonnie, for a job well done. I look forward to hearing more from you in the coming days.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, September 29, 2012
Perhaps I've been spoiled by Lynn Austin's seamless plots and Siri Mitchell's gripping reads, but then, perhaps not. I don't think I've ever read a book that jumped around as much as this one, and to be honest, I was very surprised. I actually like Bonnie Leon, but this particular book was too feminist, too "independent woman on a mission," too "fiery, spitfire redhead with a quick wit," too typical.

The main character, Kate, is literally on a mission to prove herself to everyone, to be considered equal to men. From one point, I do understand that being a pilot in the mid 1930s was probably terribly difficult for a woman, but I think she crossed the line when she began to view EVERYTHING as a competition and as an opportunity to prove that she can do anything a man can do. She is nosy, annoying, and I just kept thinking to myself, "Does anyone actually think this kind of behavior is okay..?" She moves herself into her crush's home when he catches a "throat infection" (hmm, sore throat?) and calls off work for a couple of days, and stands her boyfriend up on a date, while she bathes the sick crush with cold water and dumps his bedpan. Incredibly romantic, except the crush doesn't want her there and insists she leaves, but she can't help herself.

**SPOILER** Later, she crashes her plane into a lake (her ultimate fear and nightmare) and her friend almost dies, and although she does help her get to safety, at the hospital she's like, "Oh well, accidents happen, don't they?" The friend is in a coma for days and then makes a full miraculous recovery and Kate says, "Oh good, I knew she'd get better."

However, it's not the plot that's as bad as the choppiness of the book is. Each chapter starts either 2 weeks, 2 months, or 4 months after the previous page but you have no idea until you're well into the chapter. Random scenes that have little significance occur constantly in an effort to prove that she is an accomplished pilot, and then are never mentioned again, despite the drama/importance that the scenes should have.

Maybe Kate's attitude just put me off, but this book was way too feminist for my taste. Even when proposed to by her crush, she still can't give up flying because it's her passion. She won't give it up for the crush, for a family, for kids, for anything. She wants nothing to do with being a housewife and her crush wants her to have nothing to do with flying, but of course she nags him until he agrees she can continue flying, because it is the most important thing in her life. It seems as though she doesn't care about anyone else or their feelings, but rather is only focused on herself, her wants, and her desires.
I hope that this review isn't offensive to Ms. Leon, I just really feel that it isn't up to par with her other novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Alaska setting, November 3, 2012
Ginger Goff (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. It was not my normal read, but I got it for free from Amazon and I was pleasantly surprised. I knew going in that this was an inspirational author so I worried it would be over the top. The Christian message definitely was there, but it was more a backdrop and part of the lead's character than proselytizing cloaked with a story. I feel that this matter of fact approach and character development is a much more effective way to present Christianity than some of the other inspirational stories I have read. I am considering reading more of this series.

I must admit to a love affair with Alaska, so the descriptions of the scenery and details about living in Alaska definitely added to my enjoyment. I considered this to be a definite factor when deciding on my rating.

To interpret my rating, 5 star books for me would be a must read such as 'The Hobbit' (Tolkien) or the equivalent. 3 stars is a fun, light read, definitely worth it for free and worth it for up to a few dollars depending on your tastes. 1 star is something I either couldn't finish or consider a waste of time and money to read. I do not rate everything I enjoy 5 stars, most books I buy rate 3-4 stars in my system. Hope this helps you decide whether to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was wonderful!, November 10, 2012
This is the first book I have read by Bonnie Leon. I loved it!! It was hard to put down. I appreciated that it was a clean, decent love story that was also exciting. If you are looking for a great book this one is it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Alaskan Skies, August 25, 2013
Cat Lyn (Waukesha, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touching the Clouds (Alaskan Skies Book #1): A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I read this book after seeing all the positive reviews. I like the setting of the bush of Alaska in 1935. To this day I still think of Alaska as a bush pilot's dream...always challenging. I guess I wasn't reading the same book as all the other reviewers, though. I had to struggle to make it to the end. The plotting was so-o-o transparent. Granted I'm not much into Christian readings, but the few short prayers mentioned seemed to be merely thrown in. I guess I didn't see any real depth in the writing. In 1935 piloting for women was difficult (remember Amelia Earhart?), but flying in Alaska was extreme! Constantly changing weather, no radio, but it seemed there were maps for everywhere? Why do I find this hard to believe?

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read with some surprises, March 2, 2013
I like not having the worry of offensive language, but also not having the religious aspect pushed down my throat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, February 18, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this novel. Author did an excelled joy reseaching material for this book. Book gives insight to a real life subjest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dragged out, February 1, 2013
This was another book that just really dragged out. I really couldn't relate to the female lead character. I didn't really enjoy the secondary characters. Overall this just wasn't something I could get into.

Rate and Discover Movies