5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and practical help for exasperated parents
I felt very encouraged after reading this book. As the "wicked step dad" to a 14 year old strong-willed boy, it was never easy getting him to do chores, homework, and keep his word.
Published on January 6, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice
Although this book does offer some great advice for taking back control of your children's lives, and your own...it's mostly a companion book for people also attending the Toughlove meetings. It's more about the Toughlove network/program, itself, than a teaching tool/self-help/advice kind of book.

Since there are no meetings in my area, I thought the book...
Published on August 26, 2007 by K. M. Klasen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and practical help for exasperated parents, January 6, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
The authors' practical experience with their own kids and dozens of other troubled kids shows how they went from frustration to a realistic and practical take-charge method. There are several case histories.
Their method is about accountability, taking a stand and sticking with it. It's also about parental peace of mind. It ISN'T about a military boot-camp mind set, mean-spiritedness, or being something you aren't.
My wife wished she had read the book a decade earlier, when she was treating her kid like a miniature adult, mostly in charge of his own life. He ended up being spoiled, selfish, and unreasonable as a teen.
Many years later now, he's matured, on his own, and we all have a good relationship, with mutual respect.
Parents have rights and needs, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book For Parents Who Want to Turn Things Around, December 11, 2002
Nancy J. Kavaky (Red Hook, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
I have had this book in my book case since the 1980's. Today it is shop worn as it has gone through so many parents hands. It was given to me when I was having trouble with my 14 year old daughter. Don't purchase this book if you want 'warm & fuzzy'. If you are still in the warm fuzzy zone then your problems will continue. This book is about getting you to face facts and start you off on a new journey. It is merely a guideline and I like the fact that they present the information in such a way that you and your teen have to do the work yourself. Why does everyone want to get off the hook? This book puts things in perspective and makes you deal with reality. It addresses the real issues and opens your eyes. If you are at your wits end with a teen that is acting out this is a great start-up book to help you identify your problems. It really shows how Tough Love can work. It also shows how we as parents find excuses for our children rather than deal with the real issues. This book helps you to start making yourself and your teen accountable for all actions and decisions. It's a winner in my eyes! It pulled me thru time and time again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help for frustrated parents of unruly teens, December 24, 2000
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so happy to read about feelings and experiences from this couple who are also having problems with their own teens. Even though they are experts at counceling other people with problems as therapists, when they started having trouble with their own kids and the "shoe was on the other foot" they could see that they needed a SOLUTION. As therapists they'd tried to find for other families, the root of the childs problem. After having their own teens become unruly, they are honest in saying that they needed a SOLUTION, not to find blame or the root of the problem. It has helped me to stop blaming myself and my husband for my kids bad behavior. That in itself has given me more strength to deal with the kids when they manipulate us. I got a lot out of their book. I feel like I'm not alone with this problem. And it gave me a whole new outlook on how to deal with the problem. The only thing that dissapoints me is that there is not a toughlove group in my state. And that is what is so stressed in the book, to get support from the group when you are using toughlove. Even so, I am very happy I found the book to read. If you are having problems with your teen, you should read it. I only wish I'd read it a couple years earlier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great wake up call for all parents, June 3, 2004
ron (beverly hills) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an amazing book and an extremely helpful approach to parenting teenagers. I don't get it why people think they advocate abuse, it's the opposite it makes parents accountable for their behavior. The writers present great ideas and insight into the problems that are facing our families and communities because of destructive teenage behaviors. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparently the reviewer "bobby" has never been to a Toughlove Meeting, April 11, 2006
MAH (Citrus Heights, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a member of a Toughlove group and just because that one woman wasn't willing to change her own behavior is not a reflection on the Toughlove group or their philosophy. Toughlove is about realizing that you can't change your child, you can only change the way you relate to them, thus forcing them to relate to you differently. It's about taking stands and setting boundaries and not letting your children manipulate you. It's about putting the anxiety and responsibility for our children's lives where it belongs, on the children. I think a lot of people have bad misconceptions about what Toughlove is all about. I would recommend this book and the new book "The Toughlove Prescription" to any parent, whether their child is in crisis or not. The principles apply whether the child is in crisis or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens when civilization fails?, March 19, 2002
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
Tough love is not for young people who respond to the support network we provide to help them with their problems and make them feel accepted. Does your young person trash the house, terrorize his/her parents with profanity, beatings and ejection from the house, deal dope, commit larceny or arson and sneer at all socialization? Then, your network is not working! In vain will you seek "techniques" of control, which do not apply here. The tough love method is not to condone uncivilized behavior but to initiate social action (courts, police, agencies) if necessary (and it usually is) and to let the young person take the consequences of his/her actions without interference, asserting that you love this person and stand ready to reward any repentance. The latter is usually a long time in coming. Meanwhile, you desperately require the support of your peers, and that is the reason for the group. Don't underestimate it. It may be all you have. The chance to share your specific problem with others possibly worse off is invaluable. Go to the group!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice, August 26, 2007
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)

Since there are no meetings in my area, I thought the book would offer me what I couldn't get at the meetings. Not so much. Which is fine, I get the fact that the networking is a vital part of it all. Just wish I knew that before buying it :) Because pretty much everything in the book depends on your getting to those meetings and building a network.

If you can get to the meetings, this is a good book to have. If not, this book doesn't really stand on it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time around, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
When this book was published many years ago, I was able to apply it's principles to my "out of control" teenage sons. Many years later I purchased the second copy for a dear friend who is going through difficulties with his teenager. The information is just as timely now as in the past. I believe anyone can apply these principles to their relationships with a positive outcome. Just be prepared for the situation to get worse before it gets better. Easy read. It works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem children, November 4, 2009
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a very good book with lots of good insite and advice on how to handle the problem child of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Toughlove (Mass Market Paperback)
Yes. You need to send this to that woman who never stops complaining about how horrible her kids have become. It is the ultimate wise up and be strong guidebook. Don't be confused and get the other one with more on drug addiction than behavior. This is the original.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Toughlove
Toughlove by Phyllis York (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 1985)
$7.99 $7.19