5.0 out of 5 stars Did they cut my song?
Published on March 21, 2005 by Jim Beaver

3.0 out of 5 stars The Music is Important
Published on July 5, 2004 by Ron F.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Music is Important, July 5, 2004
Ron F. "ronf528" (Victoria, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I've read with interest all the reviews and viewpoints on this new release. It's an obvious statement on the popularity of this show to see such a reponse. I see both sides of the music argument, and if it doesn't bother you to see the original score removed, then more power to you. But I'm joining all the others who are not buying this release. I just found out it was released and was so excited that I had been jumping back and forth between Ebay and Amazon to find the best deal. Then I decided to read the reviews just to make sure, and I'm glad I did. After always being dissapointed by the sound track changes on the TNT TV versions, I had eagerly awaited a release on DVD by the studio, certain they would release it in its true, original form. I was a Huey door gunner just after Vietnam (shooting at dead tanks at Fort AP Hill makes me a lot less braver than my older brethern getting shot at over the rice patties in Vietnam), and there was nothing that made my hair stand up on the back of my neck like the opening scenes of TOD with "Paint It Black" turned way up high. That one song being taken out is enough for me not to buy the DVD. For me, and like many others who have commented, the music is an integral part of the scenes. The writing and acting was great, but the overall effect just isn't the same when the music is changed. However, I'm not certain I buy into the conspiracy theories being floated about regarding the licensing. Several years ago, while TNT was running TOD every day, one of the TOD web sites reported that the Stones refused to negotiate a licensing agreement, and that was why there was a different opening. Not sure how accurate that is and it seems strange that all the bands associated with the original soundtrack would take the same stand. Regardless, I have all 3 seasons on VHS that I recorded off the TV, and I watch them regularly. They have the commercials, they don't have Paint It Black, and the picture isn't great. But the new DVD has little more than all that, so I'm saving my money. Hopefully sales will be dissapointing to the studio and they will reconsider their strategy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did they cut my song?, March 21, 2005
Jim Beaver (Hollywood CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I wrote the episode "USO Down," about the chopperload of USO entertainers shot down in the jungle. When writing the scene where the band says, "Here's the national anthem of Vietnam!" and begins playing "We Gotta Get Outa This Place," I was recalling my own tour of duty with the Marines in Vietnam and having that exact thing occur at a USO show. And I was never more sincere in my writing than when I placed the same song over the helicopter flying away, leaving the boys behind at the end. I haven't seen this DVD, mainly out of fear that those two moments have been ruined by replacement of the song in each case by generic music. How did the studio handle those moments? (Thanks to all who've praised the show here.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed fan, August 2, 2004
I have been a fan of Tour of Duty since it first appeared and I

was thrilled to see the DVD set available. When I discovered that the original music was removed I was shocked. It is part of the experience that was the original series. I will not purchase something that is only a part of what it was intended to be. I hope the second season is released as it was intended. I would gladly pay for the DVD's (even if they were more expensive) if they appear as originally broadcast.

1.0 out of 5 stars How To Screw Up A DVD Release, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
First off, I used to love this show.

But how can you NOT at least buy the rights for the THEME SONG for the DVD release. Bad enough all the "period music" which was integral to the setting is gone. But the THEME SONG?!?

Imagine Miami Vice without the 80s music. Would be a joke right? Now imagine Miami Vice or Magnum PI without their original theme songs.

I'm damn glad I checked this one out on Netflix BEFORE buying it. Saved me some money. Hopefully I will be able to DVR reruns and have all the original music including the theme song.

Those folks in power who decided to save some money by not purchasing the rights to Paint it Black for the DVD just lost another sale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not So Complete Season 1, June 1, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Well, well, well. The excitement at seeing the release of this great show was shattered by the news that the original soundtrack would not be included. Good thing I was able to cancel my order before the release date. Why would the studio put this show out with re-dubbed music? I am fully aware that there are royalty issues and what-not, but how can the creators of the show and all parties involved allow this show to be desecrated in this manner? Do they not have any pride? This cannot be accurately described as the complete season one, if a part of the original product is missing. Maybe this version will cause enough outrage that in the future a truly "complete" issue will be released. Until then, I will have to rely on the fond memories I have of the original show I saw as a kid in the late eighties. This DVD release gets one star for now until the music is rectified.

4.0 out of 5 stars TRIBUTE., April 20, 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
TOUR OF DUTY did for the Vietnam veteran what COMBAT did for those who served on the front lines of WWII 20 years earlier. Released in 1987 on the heels of big screen counterparts, FULL METAL JACKET and PLATOON, TOUR struggled in the ratings, but CBS had the courage to stick with the series and spun 2 additional seasons. The atmosphere is authentic: The Rolling Stones "Paint It Black" opened every episode, and there was a genuine mix of combatants played by some great young talent, many of whom were in their first roles. The scripts were at times heart breaking (the rescue of a Vietnamese infant), regular cast members were killed, and the pain was a stinging as a napalm strike. TOUR was a fine tribute to a much maligned war.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, August 8, 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I would pay twice the price if the music was included. As a USMC Vietnam vetern who served in RVN during that time (1966-67) I feel that the episodes dealt with every aspect of the Vietnam experience and did it well, although the improbabilities are easy to spot if you've been there. The music was important, punctuating the events in profound and moving ways. It is incomplete without the original score. To the publishers (and I am sure speaking for my fellow "Tour" fans): do it right and charge more. We will pay the price for the real thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars TOUR OF DUTY DESERVES BETTER, so do we!, June 22, 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
This was one of the greatest groundbreaking series in television history and to not release it on DVD in it's ORIGINAL form is an injustice to the writers, producers, actors, anyone involved in the show and most of all, WE THE FANS. We have been waiting for this day since the invention of the DVD and I am truly disappointed with this release. The show deserves five stars but this DVD set only deserves two. Yes, I am outraged at the fact they did not use the original music, but, beyond that, this series deserves a digitally remastered transfer, the video quality is at best the equivelent to a good VHS and the sound is okay, but should have been mastered in 5.1. And then I read these other reviews from people claiming to be Tour fans saying that "Paint it Black" wasn't used until season 2 and that this DVD set is exactly how the originals were as far as the music. People, please re-assess your knowledge of this show and please do not call yourselves diehard fans! TOUR OF DUTY DESERVES BETTER!

4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!! THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!, May 30, 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Can't wait untill June! I am going to miss the original soundtrack...maybe if we all complain enough and buy enough they will reconsider paying the royalities for the second season! I have all the episodes on VHS recorded as they ran. I even managd to "edit" the commercials on most of them. I recently pulled out the tapes to transfer to DVD only to find out that the picture quality (and sound)had faded badley! What a great series! Too bad CBS did not choose to wrap it up correctly! Look at what a great job the producers did with "China Beach"!

1.0 out of 5 stars unfortunately a flawed set, August 10, 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I wish I could buy this set, but due to the lack of it's original music score I won't. I don't want korny instrumental music inserted because the maker is too cheap to pay licensing fees. Tour of duty was one of my favorite shows years ago, I hope they correct this mistake and re-release it.

Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season
Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season by Stephen Caffrey (DVD - 2004)
$26.99 $24.25