Published 18 months ago by Maine Colonial

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 18 months ago by Grider

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons when compared to KitchenAid and Farberware silicone spatulas, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Tovolo 12 Inch Silicone Spatula Set, Raspberry Fizz - Set of 3 (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The major difference between these Tovolo spatulas and similar products made by KitchenAid (Kitchenaid Classic Silicone Spoon Spatula, Red, for example) and Farberware (Farberware Pro Silicone Spatula Scraper, Black, for example) is in the handles. These Tovolo handles are made entirely of nylon and are quite thin. On the KitchenAid and Farberware spatulas, the last few inches of the nylon handle is encased in another thick layer of plastic (with some chrome accents). I didn't find the thin Tovolo handle a problem when using them for light work, like scooping/scraping whipped cream or light dough from a bowl, or frying eggs, but it's less comfortable than the KitchenAid and Farberware versions for heavier use, like scraping cookie dough or breaking up and browning ground beef in a pan.

On the plus side, the outside edges of the Tovolo spatulas are a bit thinner and sharper than on the KitchenAid and Farberware versions, which means they do a terrific job of bowl scraping, leaving it completely clean. (If you let your dog lick bowls, Fido will not be happy with the Tovolo!) Another minor plus is that the bowls and backs of the Tovolos are completely smooth, whereas the KitchenAid and Farberware versions have a raised ridge on the back where the handle inserts into the silicone. The edges of this raised ridge tend to get a bit gunked up with food and need special washing attention. To me, the Tovolos are nicer looking than the KitchenAid and Farberware versions because they're more streamlined in appearance and more vividly colored.

The silicone in these spatulas so far seems comparable in quality to my KitchenAid and Farberware versions. If you're not familiar with silicone spatulas, I highly recommend them for baking and for use on nonstick cookware.

The raspberry color of these spatulas is attractive and, for me, it's nice to have a different color because even though I haven't experienced any problems with food flavors permeating silicone, I prefer to keep my baking (sweet foods) utensils separate from my cooking (savory foods) utensils. I use the black and red silicone utensils I already have for cooking, while these Tovolos will join my white utensils for baking.

On a side note, I do appreciate the frustration-free packaging. The cardboard box was small and easy to open.

If you're deciding between the Tovolos and KitchenAid or Farberware, your feelings about the handles' construction and appearance should be your principal focus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although the spatula ends of this set are very handy in their shape and usefulness -- the handles are not. They are very very thin and hard to grip, so the balance is off because of the 12 inch length. They also bend when tossing or stirring a large bowl of food. They bend so much, it feels like they want to snap. Annoying. I would not recommend them, and they have gone forthwith into my "help yourself kitchen gadget reject" box.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite set of spatulas, March 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The regular spatula is kind of efficient, but when scraping the inside of a mayo jar, the edge doesn't give at all to get a good grip on the inside of the jar. I called it "kind of efficient" as it is probably the most functional of the bunch. It is pretty good at getting batter spread, as it will get right into corners. The spoonula is too stiff to spatula spoonula batter out of a bowl. I find myself reaching for the old tough in the middle soft on the sides spatulas. And the Angled turner is a complete waste, it will not turn anything, it is too flimsy.
To sum it up, the spatulas I wish had some give have NO GIVE and the one I want to remain a bit stiff is too flaccid.
Another problem is there is a distinct gap where the head meets the handle, just enough of a gap for stuff to get stuck down in them. AND, the heads are not removable, so I am wondering how much stuff is getting stuck in them and getting passed on in my other dishes. NO, not my favorite set of spatulas. I've given them time, and have tried to love them, but, I can't. They aren't great spatulas at all. If they could get a grade, I'd give them a D. Not quite failing, but short of satisfactory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for light jobs, but not tremendously sturdy, March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am an admitted Pampered Chef snob, and I really love all my mix-n-scrapers purchased from them. However, they are pricey and it seems I never have a spare scraper when I need it. I chose these silicone spatulas as a backup set for marathon baking sessions.

After a few weeks of use, I'm actually surprised to be giving them a four star rating. Based on their look and feel, I didn't expect them to hold up very long. They are lightweight and bend easily, but I have yet to break one. I have used them for cooking scrambled eggs and they haven't melted or warped at all, even after accidentally leaving one sitting against the edge of the pan for an extended period of time.

I would recommend them for lightweight mixing and scraping (whipped cream, cake batter, stirring scrambled eggs etc) but they are not sturdy enough for heavier substances, such as cookie dough. I also don't like that there is such a large seam where the handle connects to the scraper, which can be difficult to clean and food could get trapped there. I always make sure to rinse them immediately after use and it hasn't been an issue yet, but that knocked a star off for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars color is not as pictured., December 24, 2013
These are awesome spatulas but the color is not quite as pictured. The color is way more pink than the red that is pictured. The quality of the spatulas totally makes up for the color though. I used these almost everyday.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great only for light work, August 3, 2013
Wanted a great all around spatula. In my humble opinion the handles on these flex too much to be a good multi re pie spatula. Will be trying something else. Nice colors are materials, just not what I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have, September 12, 2013
K Young (Rockaway, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
If you have non-stick cookware, this set is a must-have. The handles are a good weight. I would recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, September 7, 2013
I really liked these the ends are very soft and flexible yet sturdy also. These are great for your non-stick pans, I especially liked the Spoonula.

3.0 out of 5 stars works OK, but harder to clean than others, March 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A lot of the silicone kitchen tools on the market these days are have a one-piece design that is really easy to clean. Just wipe down and your done. This particular product has a 2-piece design with a small gap between the head and the handle where mold and germs tend to collect. You have to work quite a bit harder to keep these clean.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Hold Up to the Heat, January 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used two of the three spatulas to make dinner last night. I used the standard spatula to stir refried beans in a pot, and the angled turner to make tacos and work with the meat. The standard spatula worked fine, kept the beans from sticking to the pot, and was easy to clean (though when placed in a dishwasher, water spots were left on the blue tops of all three spatulas). However, the handle was not all that comfortable to use with a shallow pot. The handles themselves are a bit long and thin, so it was hard to get a good grip on the spatula without feeling like the handle was going to break under the stirring pressure. It would have been better to have these designed with sturdier, thicker handles.

The angled turner did not hold up as well. I used a stainless steel All Clad frying pan, no coating, to prepare the meat. After a couple of minutes of stirring and pressing the tuner against the pan, the head of the angled spatula warped and stayed in a perpetually bent shape. I could not find information about heat resistance in the packaging (which was truly hassle free), but I am going to guess these may not be up to the task when used with higher heat on a stove. I would recommend that these are not used in high heat cooking, but would work just fine for other types of cooking. I will stick with my Pampered Chef spatula and wooden spoons when working on the stove.

Rate and Discover Movies