Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Summer Sky|Change

Color: Raspberry Fizz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The major difference between these Tovolo spatulas and similar products made by KitchenAid (Kitchenaid Classic Silicone Spoon Spatula, Red, for example) and Farberware (Farberware Pro Silicone Spatula Scraper, Black, for example) is in the handles. These Tovolo handles are made entirely of nylon and are quite thin. On the KitchenAid and Farberware spatulas, the last few inches of the nylon handle is encased in another thick layer of plastic (with some chrome accents). I didn't find the thin Tovolo handle a problem when using them for light work, like scooping/scraping whipped cream or light dough from a bowl, or frying eggs, but it's less comfortable than the KitchenAid and Farberware versions for heavier use, like scraping cookie dough or breaking up and browning ground beef in a pan.

On the plus side, the outside edges of the Tovolo spatulas are a bit thinner and sharper than on the KitchenAid and Farberware versions, which means they do a terrific job of bowl scraping, leaving it completely clean. (If you let your dog lick bowls, Fido will not be happy with the Tovolo!) Another minor plus is that the bowls and backs of the Tovolos are completely smooth, whereas the KitchenAid and Farberware versions have a raised ridge on the back where the handle inserts into the silicone. The edges of this raised ridge tend to get a bit gunked up with food and need special washing attention. To me, the Tovolos are nicer looking than the KitchenAid and Farberware versions because they're more streamlined in appearance and more vividly colored.

The silicone in these spatulas so far seems comparable in quality to my KitchenAid and Farberware versions. If you're not familiar with silicone spatulas, I highly recommend them for baking and for use on nonstick cookware.

The raspberry color of these spatulas is attractive and, for me, it's nice to have a different color because even though I haven't experienced any problems with food flavors permeating silicone, I prefer to keep my baking (sweet foods) utensils separate from my cooking (savory foods) utensils. I use the black and red silicone utensils I already have for cooking, while these Tovolos will join my white utensils for baking.

On a side note, I do appreciate the frustration-free packaging. The cardboard box was small and easy to open.

If you're deciding between the Tovolos and KitchenAid or Farberware, your feelings about the handles' construction and appearance should be your principal focus.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
Color: Summer Sky|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although the spatula ends of this set are very handy in their shape and usefulness -- the handles are not. They are very very thin and hard to grip, so the balance is off because of the 12 inch length. They also bend when tossing or stirring a large bowl of food. They bend so much, it feels like they want to snap. Annoying. I would not recommend them, and they have gone forthwith into my "help yourself kitchen gadget reject" box.
on May 22, 2015
I searched for spatuals and all I saw is that some had crystal handle from what looked like plastic, others had shape I didn't like and the only spatula I liked was Tovolo's. Design and ergonomics wise they look and feel nice. They do a good job at prying off things and they help a lot with emptying pans. One thing I didn't like is that some spatulas in this set have small gap between handles and scoops they connect to which leaves allows some entry of food and since they are not detachable, it will be left there so I try to clean around those spots after every use to prevent food buildup.
review image
The major difference between Tovolo spatulas and similar products is in the handles. These Tovolo handles are made entirely of nylon and are thin. While I didn't find the thin Tovolo handles a problem using them for light work, it's less comfortable than the KitchenAid and Farberware versions designed for heavier use, like scraping dough or breaking up ground beef when in a pan. This could be an issue depending on your usage. If you are cooking all day, go for Farberware or kitchenAid and pay more. Otherwise, these are more than fine.

Silicone in these spatulas seem noticeably less comparable in quality to my KitchenAid and Farberware however. So, overall, not a bad solution and they shuld last a while even though they do not compare well to more expensive products.
VINE VOICEon March 6, 2013
Color: Raspberry Fizz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The regular spatula is kind of efficient, but when scraping the inside of a mayo jar, the edge doesn't give at all to get a good grip on the inside of the jar. I called it "kind of efficient" as it is probably the most functional of the bunch. It is pretty good at getting batter spread, as it will get right into corners. The spoonula is too stiff to spatula spoonula batter out of a bowl. I find myself reaching for the old tough in the middle soft on the sides spatulas. And the Angled turner is a complete waste, it will not turn anything, it is too flimsy.
To sum it up, the spatulas I wish had some give have NO GIVE and the one I want to remain a bit stiff is too flaccid.
Another problem is there is a distinct gap where the head meets the handle, just enough of a gap for stuff to get stuck down in them. AND, the heads are not removable, so I am wondering how much stuff is getting stuck in them and getting passed on in my other dishes. NO, not my favorite set of spatulas. I've given them time, and have tried to love them, but, I can't. They aren't great spatulas at all. If they could get a grade, I'd give them a D. Not quite failing, but short of satisfactory.
on December 24, 2013
These are awesome spatulas but the color is not quite as pictured. The color is way more pink than the red that is pictured. The quality of the spatulas totally makes up for the color though. I used these almost everyday.
on March 21, 2013
Color: Summer Sky|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am an admitted Pampered Chef snob, and I really love all my mix-n-scrapers purchased from them. However, they are pricey and it seems I never have a spare scraper when I need it. I chose these silicone spatulas as a backup set for marathon baking sessions.

After a few weeks of use, I'm actually surprised to be giving them a four star rating. Based on their look and feel, I didn't expect them to hold up very long. They are lightweight and bend easily, but I have yet to break one. I have used them for cooking scrambled eggs and they haven't melted or warped at all, even after accidentally leaving one sitting against the edge of the pan for an extended period of time.

I would recommend them for lightweight mixing and scraping (whipped cream, cake batter, stirring scrambled eggs etc) but they are not sturdy enough for heavier substances, such as cookie dough. I also don't like that there is such a large seam where the handle connects to the scraper, which can be difficult to clean and food could get trapped there. I always make sure to rinse them immediately after use and it hasn't been an issue yet, but that knocked a star off for me.
on August 3, 2013
Wanted a great all around spatula. In my humble opinion the handles on these flex too much to be a good multi re pie spatula. Will be trying something else. Nice colors are materials, just not what I need.
on October 22, 2014
I would imagine these nylon handles would be very flexible and possibly break - if you're mixing cement. I'm a guy that's pretty hard on my kitchen tools and I find I'd have to work pretty hard to bend one of these handles. The flexible tips are great. I just retired an old rubber (really, it is rubber) spatula I think my Mom used before she passed it on to us. I like the sharp edges. As to stuff getting stuck where the handle is attached, I don't think it would take a fireman's hose force to keep that clean. A little old toothbrush can get rid of any crumbs reluctant to leave if plain washing doesn't do the trick. Color is red, not pink or even hot pink.
on November 17, 2014
I've been looking for a matching spatula set for my home, and I am pretty pleased with this set so far. They're a bit flimsy, which some reviewers already mentioned, but I was willing to take a chance on them for the price. They are flimsy, and they weren't work on everything you expect them to but if you keep that in mind, you won't have any issues using them when cooking or baking.