1,649 Reviews
 (1,220)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great BIG Cubes, Workaround for White Residue Problem
Published on June 4, 2010 by Abalone

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than having no big cubes
We're cocktail nerds and have worked with the 4 cube size of this Tovolo king cube trays. As already noted, it's a bit of a fight getting the cubes out, but they are nice big cubes.

Published on June 10, 2010 by Dinah Sanders

4.0 out of 5 stars Great BIG Cubes, Workaround for White Residue Problem, June 4, 2010
Abalone (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Big cubes are the latest trend in high-end cocktail bars because of their slower melt rate (less surface area) and curious look. This is a great home version that produces gorgeous 2x2 cubes. It does take a bit more effort to extract the cubes from the rubbery silicone material than traditional trays -- you have to sort of stretch and push them out -- but for big cubes it's actually advantageous to carefully slide them out this way, rather than "cracking" them out and risking fractures. You'll get the hang of it.

The BIG problem I had with this initially was that the cubes produced white "floaties" in the drink that left a rather waxy residue on the glass(!). I'm not making this up! What the heck are those? I googled it and it appears that this is a problem that some people experience with silicone trays. The best theory I found was that it's related to the effect silicone has on freezing certain types of water, perhaps condensing minerals on the surface of the cubes. It's just a theory. But I figured out a workaround which I am happy to share with the internet via this amazon review. If you experience this, just RINSE the cubes briefly before you drop them in the drink, and it will wash off the white reside. All good! I love my big cubes now.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to do with your Ice Cube Tray besides Freeze Water, July 2, 2013
One thing I like about these Trays is that they are available in multiple colors.
What I don't like is that they don't come in white? Kinda weird?
I was actually able to find this tray in White on Amazon Here: Large Ice Cube Tray White - Same as Tovolo King Cube Ice Trays

I have found that people have many uses included:
Freezing and Storing Homemade Baby Food
Freezing a bit of wine that you have left in the bottle for a future food recipe
Homemade Soaps and even Homemade Candles
People Freeze Coffee and/or Chocolate and stick it in their morning iced coffee so you don't water it down
JELLO SHOTS
Freezing Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows on top of them

Also, something I would have never thought of is to Freeze Water with some lavender or other essential oils. Then you put a cube of this water and oil in your shower and you have a Soothing Hot Shower.

All in all, 5 Star Product, but I had to go with White to match the interior of my Refrigerator. I like the cleanliness of White, don't you?

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than having no big cubes, June 10, 2010

Our upgrade from this was to the big Beaba "cubes" which are actually cylinder sections with rounded bottoms. That makes them pop out a lot easier and the tray is lidded. Beaba thinks their tray is for freezing baby food, but we mixies know better.

We do recommend the smaller cubed Tovolo tray which freezes up fast and the cubes pop right out. In general, a brand we've liked; it'd be great to see them come up with a lidded tray with rounded "cubes" for easier removal.

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 months ago this would have been 5 stars..., July 2, 2012
I bought this ice tray as a cocktail nerd who is not yet going to carve my own ice like the bars do but wanted the big cubes for my drinks. We washed it when it came, cleaned it regularly, and paid attention to the issue of residue that was brought up here but never had any issue. It was fantastic - just what we wanted and my husband and I used it all the time for 6 months. We even gave a bunch as gifts because we were so pleased.

All of a sudden last week our cocktail tasted horrible. We wondered if it was the splash of water and so we changed our britta filter. We wondered if our luxardo cherries had gone off - nope. Finally we thought of the ice cubes. And sure enough the tray smelled terrible. I gagged.

I did online research and discovered this is a common issue with silicone after a while - it absorbs smells from your fridge or freezer but also starts to smell of chemicals all of which gets into your ice. Suggestions for fixing included: white vinegar bath, soak in water and lemon juice, baking soda, boiling the item. We've tried all of these several times to no avail. Our ice cube tray now only produces smelly and foul tasting ice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, July 9, 2011
My husband and I cook every day and entertain often but rarely use ice in our drinks. Nevertheless thought we would test this great looking ice cube tray for the summer cocktail season.
So the cubes looked great but by mid way through our vodka tonics we noticed a VERY odd taste ... maybe a bit like freezer burn?
Ok so we washed the tray again and refilled it with filtered water. The we popped out a couple of cubes in our water glass and again YUK!!! .. a horrid taste!

Thinking there might be something wrong with our freezer we went through all its contents to make sure everything was in good order . No problems! Then as an experiment we filled an old smaller tray borrowed from a friend and set it in the same spot in the freezer as the blue tray and left it for a week.

The old borrowed tray made perfect tasting ice cubes! So now we we're going crazy trying to figure out the taste problem. We did some further research and saw the recommendation here to clean the tray with a vinegar and water solution. Sadly, this didn't work either - UGH!

Finally, we did what we should have done in the first place... we put the tray to our nose and guess what - IT SMELLS - RANCID, OLD and STALE. - take your pick. Doesn't any one else taste/smell this?
We're throwing away $10 but definitely don't want to be freezing our water in this. It's supposed to be inert. right? If that's the case why the odor and why does it transfer a foul taste our water?

Really not sure what's going on with this product ... but it's a bit alarming. But then they say buyer beware. ...now we just need to figure out how to recycle it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - The Tray Releases Something Into The Water, January 12, 2013
I won't be too long winded about this, but just want others to know that this tray has a reaction to the freezing process. I'm no scientist, so I cannot tell you what it is, but you will notice that upon putting a cube into a glass of water within minutes some white substance comes free from the surface of the ice and little white floaties are in your water (embarrassing when you have friends over). At first I thought they just needed a good scrubbing, but this made no difference. My brother has the same trays in a different color. I told him about this and he tested his and sure enough he has the same problem. I have a hard time consuming an unknown (potentially toxic) substance.

I've tried to call the Tovolo to ask about it, but I cannot get a response from anyone.

I was very excited to get these trays. We were using them for homemade baby food as well as scotch cubes. The tray feels nice and I love the chamfered bottom edges, but in the end I can't trust the product or the company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pink King ice cube tray, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Tovolo King Cube Ice Tray - Pink (Kitchen)
I cannot recommend these at all. Filled or empty the material smells terribly. The drink tastes as bad as the smell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware... These are a cheap imitation of Tovolo cube trays, January 19, 2013
Sasha Mahone (Denver , CO - Rocky Mountain Hi!) - See all my reviews
I was extremely disappointed with this tray since I already have some genuine Tovolo king cube trays. I ordered from this supplier since my other was out of stock for the holidays and I really wanted to give these to a few family members. The picture of these trays looked different but I assumed that it was just a different configuration. They are imprinted with Cocktail Kingdom, instead of the traditional Tovolo imprint on the end of the tray. They are flimsy, thin, and have already torn in one corner.
I feel cheated but since I gave them as gifts I can't return them. BTW - The actual Tovolo king cube trays are wonderful. We are single malt drinkers and they are perfect!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointed!, August 7, 2012
Sydney (Flushing, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I was so excited to try this - I bought them the moment I saw them!

They leave an awful taste in your drink! I washed and washed and washed, just thinking that if washed enough the bad taste would go away. It hasn't.

I wonder why it seems that only a small percentage of customers have this problem. If this had worked, I woukd have bought 2 - 3 more. Glad I tried only one first.

5.0 out of 5 stars two "secrets" required to produce CLEAR ICE CUBES, November 20, 2011
requires:

(1) water without impurities

** purchase distilled water

** alternatively add a reverse osmosis (7 stage) kit to your sink for about ninety monetary units

** or purchase your own distillation machine

(2) BOIL water [microwave] to disposes water of free oxygen: makes clear ice from water without impurities

silicone allows for EASY cube removal from tray EVERY time for EVERY cube

silicon also allows easy removal for liquids other-than water:

+ real juice

++ real juice with sticks, or straws frozen into cubes

+ synthetic juice

+ dairy products

+ gravy

+ soup

+ smoothie bases

+ yogurt

+ slightly melted ice cream

+ jello

child friendly, no nasty plastic toxins

These trays easily stack, and are easily carried to freezer mostly filled .. no spills!

** IMPORTANT

Wash before use. (duh?)

Dishwasher safe. I am not going to hand wash these. Seems to stand up well to heat as one would expect from food grade silicone.

Tovolo King Cube Ice Tray - Pink