4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Overview
Published on July 8, 2010 by Wayne Valzania

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too generic for my taste...
While there is nothing inherently wrong with the book (I'm sure it will be exactly what some buyers want) it simply didn't meet my needs. I felt like I was reading a bunch of articles from my Fine Homebuilding magazine (BTW, great magazine).

Published on May 9, 2010 by Carlos A. Mendoza

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Overview, July 8, 2010
This review is from: Toward a Zero Energy Home: A Complete Guide to Energy Self-Sufficiency at Home (Paperback)
I think "Toward a Zero Energy Home" provides a good overview of what is going on in the technology side of building. I like the fact that a variety of opinions are presented for the reader on different methods working toward the same goal of building a technically smart, energy efficient living space. Anyone interested in this subject will find numerous other books that should be read as well for a more complete understanding of the topic. This volume, in my opinion, holds its own as one of the books that will contribute to that knowledge and is a worthwhile read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too generic for my taste..., May 9, 2010

That is, it covered all sorts of areas, but none of them in enough detail for my liking. In that sense, it is a complete "Guide" to energy self-sufficiency at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, February 14, 2011
This is the best resource I've come across. I'm in the process of completely gutting and remodeling a house, and I want to do everything as energy efficiently as possible. Unfortunately, I wish the photos and the designs of the houses in this book were a little more inspiring and innovative, but I think this represents the state of the art at the moment. The overall tone is a bit more cautious than I'd prefer, but there is lots of good information and good ideas so that conceptually I can perfect my own designs and innovations based on what's here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pick for any homeowner's library, July 16, 2010
David Johnston and Scott Gibson's TOWARD A ZERO ENERGY HOME provides a key to creating a home that produces as much energy as it consumes. Design and construction of energy-efficient homes focuses on new construction and 12 houses specially built for zero energy living: it's a pick for any homeowner's library - particularly those featuring new construction options - will want.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great reference, February 12, 2014
This book has been a great help in being the smartest guy in the room with my architect and builder, who didn't have much experience on zero energy homes. Lots of great examples, and pointers to deeper reference materials. As a result, we are building our home to be Energy Star rated, and I was able to drive a lot of what we wanted in the design form what I read in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars When you read it too many information can be got easily., March 25, 2013
I also recommend another book to readers to complete necessary knowledge on this issue named "The Solar House: Passive Heating and Cooling" written by Daniel D. Chiras.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to read before designing your own home., October 28, 2013
An excellent book to read before designing your own home.

In fact, before designing your own home, you should probably read 5 or 6 books at least, but I believe this should be the first one you read.
It has practical advise on how to save on utilities bills and making a very healthy home. Although it apply for an eco-view of things, it is not focused on the "tree huggers" crowd. Be ecological as a bonus for saving money.

Great advise in what to aim for and what to avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 11, 2014
Great read on details for sustainable home options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, February 19, 2013
I have finished this and am now reading his book, "Green Remodeling." It is currently part of my studies, green building and sustainable communities, and David Johnston's books have been gold mines for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, May 27, 2014
If you just getting started with a Net Zero or Passive House this book is a good starting point. ED

Toward a Zero Energy Home: A Complete Guide to Energy Self-Sufficiency at Home