5.0 out of 5 stars Do you hear that sound? Yep it's me eating my words!
So my take on any licensed game is that it is a piece of you-know-what. Let's be honest - if not attached to "the name" most of these games couldn't be given away let alone sold. The last Toy Story game Toy Story Mania! did not really live up to our expectations and was just a bunch of mini games. My kids liked WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Mario Party 8 much better...
Published on June 15, 2010 by AlexJouJou

1.0 out of 5 stars Love the game, HATE THE WII VERSION
The WII version is indeed extremely disappointing!

I Finished the story mode in a short amount of time and was so excited to get to the Toy Box.

Published on June 29, 2010 by lbshutes

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you hear that sound? Yep it's me eating my words!, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

I have been following this game for months - uncharacteristic of me for a licensed game. Bluntly I was not going to plunk down my cold hard cash for this if it was not worthwhile - Toy Story name or not. I've read reviews with the developers and studio and it sounded like they got their stuff straight. So I decided to forge ahead with a Day 1 purchase. Yep folks..day 1. I'm in a bit of a daze myself honestly.

My kids have played it for many hours today (was my son's birthday last weekend and this was a delayed gift so today was a special day..I don't normally let them play this much!)and so far I am impressed. I-M-P-R-E-S-S-E-D. The Wii graphics, to me, are nothing special but they get the job done. Music is exactly as expected (various themes and all that). The gameplay is tight - controls are spot on for us and we've had no difficulties. I can tell if my son has difficulties and he has not once gotten frustrated that the remote isn't doing what it is supposed to - controls were easy to learn.

There have been a few confusing parts but my older daughter figured them out (parents just be aware that your little guy/girl might need some help to figure out what to do in a few places). The kids have played in the regular mode (story) and the new box mode that is like a sandbox of fun things to do. That Box mode is SUPER FUN y'all! In terms of the regular story mode it's pure action adventure like other games of its type such as Scooby Doo! First Frights and Spongebob Squarepants The Movie both of which my kids enjoyed a lot and were worth a purchase.

So far there is little to no frustration (except those few parts that are a bit confusing on what to do for a littler guy/gal). Characters are good and the story is actually o.k. I haven't seen the movie so can't say if it follows it or not at this point. At nearly 4 hours in he hasn't completed it. This is in contrast to Coraline which clocked in a little under 2 hours to completion. I would compare the Toy Story 3 favorably with two other of my son's favorite games that are licensed Spiderman: Friend or Foe and Ben 10 which come highly recommended from my family to you!

My kids wanted to keep playing - already at almost 4 hours I can tell that it's a keeper. Normally they don't even get 30 minutes if it's going to be a dud. I will update this review next weekend to reflect an update as well as I suspect we'll have another 8 hours or so into the game by that point.I'll let you know if anything changes my rating but as of now this one's a winner!

EDITED 6/23/2010: We do not seem to be encountering the issues with targeting that others are reporting in Buzz's world. I actually watched my daughter start another file (we have 3 save files with our game) to give me her input on this and last night watched her play all the way through Buzz's level. She didn't have any problems with targeting (now she did find some of the platforming elements challenging but then they usually are). Platformers are her favorite type of game and she's played through many of the toughest (Super Mario Advance on GBA and others) and is quite experienced with them. We could see where some elements could be very challenging (like how a Mario game can be). My son's been playing the more sandbox type environment - and he is still having a lot of fun. For him it is sufficient - I'm sure he would rather have had the way more freedom 360 or PS3 version but we don't have one of those consoles. If you are looking for the ultra freedom toy box you should look at the 360 or PS3 version over the Wii if you have them. If he got stuck in the story mode his sister would help him. They do not play 2 player together (they rarely ever do). They play beside each other taking turns and she will help him out occasionally when needed.

We are now over 12 hours in and they still enjoy it. Maybe they just don't notice the flaws or compensate for them..but as of right now for my family 12 hours for $50 is not a bad deal. The movie for 2 hours set me back the same amount (tickets, popcorn and soda only). If you'd like to get a sense for the game you can always check it out first (via rental and such).

1.0 out of 5 stars Love the game, HATE THE WII VERSION, June 29, 2010
lbshutes (Phoenix, Az USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The WII version is indeed extremely disappointing!

After a few missions from each character (Ham, Slinky, and Stinky Pete) Ham is the only one left! the other characters have disappeared and I have no quests left from Ham. Thought I was missing something, so I spent hours online looking into it, only to find that the WII version is completely ripped off. I've done everything in the game, something like only 46 quests, most of which were the townspeople asking for a different outfit. The only things available for purchase are Bullseye, Stunt Park, Skate Park, UFO gun, Goo, Zurg's spaceport, Sid's haunted house, Lotso's enchanted glen, Paratrooper...... And that's it :(

So now I can either keep this version and kick out an additional $50 for another version. Trade it in at a used store and maybe get 1/2 credit towards a new version, or hope that I can trick someone on craigslist into trading versions...

I don't understand what they were thinking. It's one thing to offer items such as special suits, or buildings for each version. But to cut the game content by what appears to 3/4 of the PS3 or 360 version... W T F ?

Anyway, I'm obviously not a happy camper, lol.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait for bargain bin, if that., June 23, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I have the exact same issues as "Jake", so I am glad to know I am not crazy. My kids (7 and 5) don't want to play this game anymore, so I gave it a try. The targeting function with Buzz's laser, a necessity, is ridiculous. The camera has to be adjusted almost non-stop with the directional buttons in order to see where you are going, forcing you to stop and move it every few seconds. I don't own many games but I thought that Disney in 2010 would release a fun, high quality game for their biggest franchise ever. This game, with its graphics, the horrible control responsiveness, and the ridiculous amount of loading screens, feels like a PC game from 10 years ago. And holy moly they play that "You've Got a Friend in Me" song on an endless loop (If you like this song, you won't after 30 minutes of this game). The first good review and the expensive looking "commercial" on the page led me to give this game a try. I am writing this to ask you to play it somewhere first before you buy it. It burns my biscuits that they released this poor game and are marketing it as if it is worth fifty dollars. Lesson learned.

4.0 out of 5 stars DS and Wii versions differ, September 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If your kids are asking for both the Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS version of Toy Story 3, rest assured that though the themes are the same, the games are different enough to feel that they are completely different games.

I feel the Wii version is more difficult than the DS version, as does my nine year-old son. My six year-old daughter was able to complete the DS Story Mode twice in a day, whereas my nine year-old decided after two full days of play that the Story Mode in the Wii game was too difficult. He got bored and gave up. I'm sure if he gave it another two days, he'd have finished the game, but he hasn't revisited it since. He was on level 5 of 8. He did prefer the Toy Box Mode and spent much of his time there.

Two player mode is only available in Story Mode.

STORY MODE

In this mode, the players are sometimes able to play with two players. I say sometimes, because in the first scene, it was not possible. When two players play together, the screen is split. This was, at first, a turn off for me, but then I saw the advantage of it when I played with my daughter, who did not want to be where I was.

The players are usually able to get hints and even learn exactly what to do, but that help is not always available or clear. It took me quite awhile to figure out I needed to shoot the crystals to explode the floating masses of land to use as leap pads to the opposite cliff. (My son was not there to help me.)

Story Mode consists mostly of completing scenes from the movie or somewhat related to the movie, like trying to get out of Andy's room or navigating through a video game with Buzz Lightyear.

TOY BOX MODE

In Toy Box Mode, a single player only game, players go around town completing missions -- little tasks like finding cloth or digging for gold. From there, the players earn gold and customize their experience. This would be so fun as a two player game. It's too bad that option is not available.

SUMMARY

This game would be more exciting if two players can play together then entire game. It's more difficult than the DS version. However, it looks like it can be completed quickly by anyone determined enough to try. Unfortunately, it was not thrilling enough to hold the attention of my nine year-old for more than two days, and he can stay with a good game indefinitely.

I personally like the Wii version better than the DS version because it is more challenging, but there are some scenes that are frustrating enough for me that I'd prefer my son complete them for me before I continue playing. (For instance, I'm no good at blasting the evil characters in the level 3 part of the Story Mode.)

My son's rating for the Wii version? He says the Toy Box Mode is awesome but the Story Mode is okay. That averages out to four stars. He says if he had to choose between the DS version and the Wii version, he'd choose the Wii version.

My daughter says she prefers the DS version because it's easier.

As an aside, be aware that both the Wiimote and nunchucks are necessary to play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun-but PS3 version is better than the Wii, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is pretty fun. I bought a copy for my Wii after playing it on the Playstation 3 back home. The PS3 version has more customizing options in the Toy Box than the Wii does and flexibility.For example, in the PS3, I could change different aspects of each house, the doors, windows, walls- in the Wii version, I can select themes for ALL the houses but not individualize them. The same goes for dressing up townsfolk. I found this very disappointing. Overall, though the game is still fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars TOY STORY 3, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I GOT TOY STORY 3 FOR A 5YR OLD AND A 2YR OLD. THEY LOVE IT! ITS GREAT FOR LIL TOY STORY FANS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Wii Video in My Collection, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I decided to buy this game for my son who is 9 years old.What I started to realize about this game is you get to explore some places you have never been before.In a portion/segment ofthe game there is a place called toy box where you can do anything you want.The more imagination you use in toy box the more points and coins you have.The game shows you the sky is the limit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the Young, October 2, 2010
Carla Lilie "carlachris" (Des Moines, Ia. United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is written by my daughter.

This game is definitely more for younger kids, though it can still be enjoyable for older ages as well. It has a lot of content and fun in the advertised Toy Box Mode, however it is disappointing that that mode is only single player. It offers a wide range of types of games in this mode, including racing (car and horse), tricks and stunts, search tasks, and mini game levels. The main game mode was the only 2 player mode. This part was fun, though not very long. The game can be a little touchy on what players are required to do, and thus be a little frustrating, but the infinite lives and the games wanting you to win, such as the hints and help available, alleviate most of that frustration so players can just enjoy that they're playing. I found the levels surprisingly innovative and challenging. The graphics were pretty good, and it was nice to hear the voice cast of "Toy Story" throughout the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of confusing for the age group, January 23, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I bought this for my four year old and it is really hard for me to play and I have played video games all my life, or mostly. It is confusing on how to get other places to play other things and is not really good at explaining or outlining anything. I would recommend this game for 6 and up, and probably more like 10 years old or so. My son enjoys the heck out of it and that is why it got a three, but then what four year old doesn't laugh when your horse falls in the canyon 100 times? It just doesn't feel like there is much to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game but probably a good rental, November 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been playing this with my 4 yeard old son and we have been having a great time. I've had the game for a while but he was not interested in playing it until recently when Toy Story 3 was released on DVD. Since then, he has enjoyed playing various levels, more specifically, the opening level on the train (I'm sick of it!).

The graphics are top notch for a Wii game and the sounds is very good. I find load times to be normal to quick so there aren't any real delays between scenes and gameplay.

The gameplay can be confusing at first and what needs to get done to complete a mission can also be confusing. However, the game does a great job of including hints if you get stuck somewhere. Most of the hints are done using "ghost" characters where you can watch what you are suppsed to do. You can also select "show me how" from the menu screen if you need to get help again or if it wasn't automatically offered.

My 4 year old (well, almost 4 year old) was having a difficult time playing the game at first where he was continuously running into things that "kill" you. I watched him do the same thing probably 5 times in a row and that is usually where I would offer my assistance like "can I help you get through that". However, I noticed the game goes into a "GOd" mode if you happen to die many times in a row so you can finally progress in the game. That is a very nice feature for those of us with little kids.

The missions are fun and that is what we prefer to play. The Toybox section, which is more like free play, has a bunch of mini missions where you get to roam around an old western town but we got bored with it very quickly. we haven't finished the regular missions yet so maybe when we do we will spend more time here but it seems limited in what it offers.

Overall, a fun game and works well at keeping me and my older son busy for a bit when he is not watching TS3! I am guessing that once he moves onto his next big thing, this game will get pushed aside very quickly. I would recommend renting this vs. buying it.

Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii
Toy Story 3 - Nintendo Wii by Disney (Nintendo Wii)
$19.99 $9.00