Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: Video Game|Change

on June 15, 2010
Toy Story 2 for the Nintendo 64 was one of my favorite games when I was younger, and I was looking forward to this game with the hope that it would be anywhere near as fun as that great platformer was. Thankfully, this game far surpassed my expectations.

From the moment I started playing it was obvious that much more care had been put into the development of this game than most games based on movies get.

The graphics for this game are great, despite obviously not being the main focus of the creators. Each level is very detailed and colorful, with a unique, interesting appearance. The gameplay is similarly unique and varied, with tons of platforming, riding, and flying. The sandbox mode even includes a couple of cars and a stunt track, and it's very fun to drive around and pull off tricks.

Sandbox mode is the mode I've spent the most time with so far in the game. It involves exploring the fairly large area of 'Woody's Roundup' which is mainly Western themed. There are sub-levels within Woody's Roundup that have Sci-Fi (Zurg's base), Fantasy, and Spooky themes. There are many things to do in this mode, including the hundreds of collectibles to find, missions to do, and customization of your town. You can make the town look any way you want, by altering the costumes of the townspeople and changing the location, decoration and paint jobs of the buildings. There are even costumes that are based on characters from other Pixar movies, which I found interesting. The goals in sandbox mode are based on the 103 'Gold Stars' available, which are awarded for completing various tasks, which range from landing a paratrooper in a well to finding all of the collectibles in an area.

Story mode is divided into eight sections. Each section has a distinct, unique style of graphics and gameplay. They are all very detailed and fun, with many collectibles to find and achievements to get that increase the replay value of each level.

Overall, this game is highly recommended for everyone. It's simple and accessible enough for children to play, but has enough depth to give adults enjoyment as well. If you're not going to buy it, you should at least give it a rental.
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2010
I originally bought this for my 5yr old son (almost 6) who just loves Toy Story, and the fact that we recently returned from a trip to Walt Disney World where he got to take pictures with Buzz Lightyear made it a must get for him, and the fact that it was "family game". In a world where there's more FPS games it's quite refreshing to get a family game where you don't have to worry about taking cover. :-)

My original fear was that it would have been a little too easy or too challenging for him but it turned out to be just right. The story is interesting enough to hold his attention and since the levels are replayable he can have hours of fun. He especially loves Woodys Roundup where he can be the sherriff of the town and build the town any which way he wants and run around doing little missions for his townspeople. He also loves the that he can customize the buildings and being able to dress the "citizens" of his town. It's a game I know that he's not going to get tired of too easily since Woodys Roundup is hours of fun.

The game is simple enough for a 5yr old in the fact that if you're stuck you can press RB and either get a hint or show what exactly needs to be done so he's in no danger of being "stuck" which frustrates anyone and makes them hate the game.

I'd definitely recommend them to all who have kids and even those who don't. You won't regret this "family game".
on June 16, 2010
Ever since 1995's Toy Story hit theaters, it brought out the forever child inside of me. It taught me that even adults can love cartoons. Since then, I've been obsessed with the Toy Story universe. On first glance at this game, it's just another video game adaptation of a movie and should be looked over. But the voice inside my head said what the heck and bought it. I am not disappointed. The game play is sandbox, like the Grand Theft Auto games (only no violence or sex) and you get to choose from a wide variety of characters. Of course, I chose Buzz Lightyear. There is always something to do in this game as on top of sandbox, it kind of runs like The Sims in that you can build some buildings and customize them. The graphics are nothing short of impressive, either. If you're any sort of fan of the movies, even in the least, get this game and you will not be disappointed.
Format: Video Game|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I will absolutely admit I went into this title with the wrong attitude. Totally the wrong attitude. As a now 29-year-old gamer, what on earth could this game offer me?

I also admit I really enjoy Pixar's movies, but still...I figured I had to be at least 20 years too old for this title.

Oh how wrong I was.

Toy Story 3 opens the same way the movie did, with the train out of control, and your mission to save the orphans. This is a nice little action sequence which plays on rails for the most part, but is very smooth and quite satisfying.

After this opening, the game changes pace dramatically. What's this? A sandbox game? Put buildings down, finish quests, dress your villagers? Somehow, it's all excellent fun. It's like the developers took the best bit from a ton of genres.

Toy Story 3 is part:

1.) World of Warcraft
2.) Tomb Raider
3.) Stunt driving
4.) Mario Galaxy
5.) The Sims
6.) Pilot Wings
7.) Other games that elude me, title-wise.

Oh don't get me wrong, the depth of all these games in their entirety certainly isn't there, but parts of these games are, and as a whole it works very, VERY well. It's an exceptionally well-made title.

Aside from the sandbox-ing, you can also pick from a set of levels ranging from Andy's house to infiltrating Zerg's underground lair (just like in Toy Story 2, the movie!). These are fun to play through, and aside from getting from point A to B, it's enjoyable collecting all the hidden items which range from outfits to hairstyles etc etc for your villagers in the sandbox mode.

I only encountered a couple of glitches: At one point I was able to walk through clothing buildings, and at another point I was unable to get out of the tiny racing car. In each case, a quick save and exit and going back in fixed it. No big deal.

Overall, this is one of the most fun games I've played in a while. Really makes a change from the death and destruction that permeates other titles on the 360/PS3 (not that I don't enjoy those games, too, but you know what I mean).

Age-range for this title is likely 8 and up. I'm not sure a 5-year-old could do all the tricky driving and platforming. I had trouble with some of the bits, though nothing was too taxing, thankfully!

4.5 stars out of 5. Highly recommended!
on January 16, 2012
This review written by a pretty hardcore gamer. My daughter (age 6) is just starting to get into games. She has a Barbie game and a Disney princess games. They're all pretty basic and she can mostly do them on her own. I was kind of weary to buy her another game because a lot of kids games aren't well made, or don't have much depth. I'm pretty surprised by Toy Story 3, though. There is a story mode that's a bit too demanding for her at this point. The bigger draw is the Toy Box mode. (Not sure what it's called.) Basically it's a whole world to build and explore in. You collect things, do objectives, and build up your town. It's very friendly to someone her age. She chooses the pace and she doesn't show any sign of getting bored. There is a split-screen mode for two players and it's actually pretty fun for someone my age. And I'm not even the hugest fan of the movies. It's just a well-made game with a ton of content. Great for fathers and daughters (or any other parent-kid combination) to play together. So I have to give it 5 stars, from that point of view.

One negative I will point out - when in split-screen mode, the frame rate dips considerably. But that's something not everyone will notice, or care about. My daughter doesn't know what a "frame rate" is and didn't notice when it went down. And the lower frame rate is a decent trade off, because both players can go anywhere in the world without being tied to what the other player is doing.
Format: Video Game|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Toy Story 3 The Video Game is getting no shelf life in our household! This game is rated 10 years and up, but I can tell you even the 4 year olds can't put it down! The game is actually for every age and every family member loves playing it!

There are 2 main playing modes- Story Mode and Toy Box Mode. The Story Mode is fun and challenging where your characters can run, ride and fly through scenes from Toy Story 3. The graphics are amazing and there are only occasional hints of jerkiness in the mainly smooth movements. The Story Mode is very challenging, but also very short. But this doesn't matter if it's all too short, because the Toy Box Mode goes on forever!

The Toy Box Mode is where this game excels! Your imagination makes this game whatever you want it to be! You choose any activity in any order in this vastly large world. You can play as Woody, Buzz or Jessie. You go on missions to earn gold coins which purchase items, buildings or more people. Some people open up other areas and more missions! You can change the town's buildings with paint, flowers and bricks! You can send a towns person into a building and they can come out with a new hairstyle and outfit. You can customize and build constantly! Your imagination makes endless fun in this fantastic Toy Box Mode and the entire family loves it!

I can only remember this much excitement and fun over a video game in the late 80's, when the family went crazy over 2 Nintendo games called The Legend Of Zelda and Super Mario Brothers!! Thanks Disney and Pixar for bringing back the excitement of imagination to a new and old generation!
on June 17, 2010
As a father of 4 widely spaced kids, it's often tough to find an appropriate game for the XBOX360 that will entertain and amuse the entire family. This is one of those rare games. It helps that the characters are well know and well loved by all the kids but the designers have put together a wonderful gaming experience that engages players from all ages.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great family-friendly game.
on June 17, 2012
I bought this game for "toybox" mode, for my 3 year old (38 month old).
I tried a couple of Kinnect games with him. Either they didnt work well because he is so small, or he just didnt get it.

So I bought a smaller controller and this game for him to try.
He took to it WAY better than I could have ever imagined. He has been on a very steep learning curve, I was floored.
If anything, the game is too fun, for its a tad bit difficult to get him off the game. :)

Since it has two player mode, I help him with the difficult missions. For example the car missions require way too much dexterity.
He loves it when daddy helps, so works out fine.

He can also play campaign mode, but again any car missions are too hard for him. My guess is a 5 year old could handle them.
In Campaign mode, if you fail many times, the game actually MODIFIES ITSELF and make it easier to finish!

For example, in the train robbery mission, if you fail to jump over broken track too many times, boards appear to fill in the holes.
From what I can tell most areas of the campaign do this. So even areas that look way too hard do become possible for him.

I am a PC gamer, I own PS3, XBOX 360, WII, and have a MAME cabinet sitting in my den. I rarely play any consoles, pretty much play PC games.
This game was a pleasant surprise, and it may draw me into the console world. Great job!

=== Update 7-20-2014
This is still my favorite kid game to play with my son, I was very lucky to buy it right out of the gate.
For First person shooter type game, bar none the best on xbox for kids under age 10 that I have seen.
There are levels in it that I have a hard time completing, so its not too easy.
In toy-box-mode, the challenges are easier, but not easy, there are still some challenges I need to complete!
The game is rich content, gameplay, it is a masterpiece.

I put together a list of high quality video games for kids age 3-8. I am guessing above 5 since my son is only 5 now, but older kids come by.

Must get kids games:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Xbox 360 (3-6 year old, 2 player, easy and fun)
Toy Story 3 The Video Game - Playstation 3 (3-9 year old+, 2 player, FPS for kids)
Rio - Xbox 360 (3-9 year old+, 4 player, 30+ Party games for kids)
Lego Batman (3-7 year old+, 2 player, puzzler, 3rd person shooter)
Disney Universe - Xbox 360 (4-10 year olds, 4 player, fast action w/mini games, pure arcade play)
Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old, 4 player, arcade side scroll er)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old+, 2 player, huge world, action-adventure, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (4-12 year olds, 2 player, nice variety of puzzle-gameplay, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars - Xbox 360 (5-9 year old+, 2 player, RTS game for kids)
Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (5-14 year olds, 2 player, younger players need to play with older player to navigate world, gameplay fan-tastic, low puzzles)
LEGO Lord of the Rings - Xbox 360 (6-14 year olds, 2 player, my son at 5 struggles but can play with heavy guidance from me, fun game, dad approved, low puzzles)
Minecraft - Xbox 360 (6-17 year olds, 2 player (can be large multiplayer) creative gameplay)
Rest of Lego games are all worth playing, if it wasn't for lego games XBOX would be a vast wasteland for kids under age 8. :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 15, 2010
Format: Video Game|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like many adults who have played TOY STORY 3 THE VIDEO GAME, I originally didn't think the game would be very fun to play. Though there are exceptions, usually video games based upon a particular movie are terrible, just look at the SPIDER-MAN 3 and IRON MAN video games for proof. Not only that, but because the characters are trademarked developers are usually limited with how much they can do with the characters. Also, since the TOY STORY franchise is owned by Disney and Disney is a purveyor of merchandise for kids, I didn't think the game would be at all interactive or exciting. I was wrong.

TOY STORY 3 loosely follows the movie of the same name. The difference is that Woody and company are talking with Bonnie's toys and telling them the adventures they had to get to her house. Instead of just copying the exact story from the movie, the game fills in some of the gaps in the movie. In certain instances it messes with the congruity of the story, but since this is a game largely aimed at children and the developers had to create it around a loose knowledge of the movie's plot, those few inconsistencies can be overlooked.

The story mode (campaign) of the game has 8 different sections. You can't continue onto a new section until finishing the first. However, there are all sorts of rewards littered throughout these levels so once you complete a level you can go back and replay it to pick up the rewards you missed on the first run. The game starts off with a Western feel as Woody and Buzz race to save a train full of orphans from the nasty Dr. Porkchop (Hamm). After that there are levels in Andy's house, a space-level for Buzz that plays like a video game in itself, a level with Woody trying to fight off a wicked witch (Dolly) at Bonnie's, a couple of different levels at the day care, a level at the garbage dump, and the final level is a fantasy level with Bonnie and Andy playing with the toys and Buzz fights the Wicked Witch (Dolly) and a bunch of man-eating muffins.

Most of the games in the story mode are of a platform style. However, there are some puzzle and shooter missions, too. In some of the missions you have to play back and forth between Woody, Buzz, and Jessie in order to complete a mission.

Beside the story mode, there's also Toybox mode. This is sandbox mode of play. You can play either as Woody, Buzz, of Jessie as the sheriff of a growing town. You earn money for completing a variety of tasks and are able to purchase additions to the town and keep it growing. There are a variety of side missions you can complete as well as the main Toybox storyline. Characters from previous TOY STORY films, such as Stinky Pete, Bo Peep, and Wheezy can all be found in the Toybox.

The overall graphics look just like the films; they are brilliant. Except for the main protagonists and a few other characters, the voices of the characters are performed by the original actors from the films.

The storyline setting could be finished by a serious gamer in a few hours. For a more casual gamer, it'll take about 5-6 hours. The toybox part of the game takes about the same amount of time to finish. However, for kids it will probably take them longer.

I enjoyed playing TOY STORY 3. I thought it was a good movie tie-in video game that wasn't a complete copy of the film it is based, but there's not so much new content that it makes the game unfamiliar to younger fans of the film. It does a good job of having a nice mix of features that appeal directly to kids and a few that there parents might enjoy. It's a high-quality family video game that parents and children alike can enjoy.
on January 10, 2012
I only played a little bit of the main game where Woody is trying to rescue the orphans on the runaway train. I switched to the Toy Box mode and STILL haven't run out of missions and things to do - I think it goes on forever! Parents, this game is worth every penny and then some for the hours and hours of play it provides.
I'm an adult and I was having a blast! My mom and I were playing the Toy Box mode, cracking up at the hilarious villains that "sneak" around the western town you create. They look like villains from old westerns complete with handlebar moustache, hat, and an evil laugh that's hilarious! You can grab them by their belt and throw them in jail. There are also aliens walking around town (the cute green ones) and TONS of missions to do since you're the sheriff.
My only warning: this game (at least the Toy Box mode) is SUPER addictive! So much fun! Definitely worth buying - you'll enjoy it right along with your kids.