Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

Cowboy doll Woody is Andy's favorite toy, and as part of that comes the privilege of being the leader of all the other toys. His world is suddenly turned upside down when Andy gets a Buzz Lightyear action figure for his birthday. Suddenly, Woody finds himself in danger of being replaced as Andy and all the toys flock to Buzz. Worse yet, Buzz doesn't know he's a toy. He thinks he's the real Buzz Lightyear. But when the two toys get lost a couple days before Andy moves, they'll have to work together to get home. Can Woody work with Buzz when they don't have the same goal?

I can't believe it's been ten years since this movie came out. It's had an immeasurable impact on the animation field and movies in general. At the same time, its flaws are evident. The humans look as plastic as the toys, and the fur on the dog is laughable. Computers have come a long way in ten years.

Whether this movie was any good or not, it would have been an important milestone. Fortunately, it succeeds on an entertainment level as well. The story is masterfully told revealing plot points and character equally. The movie is extremely funny as well; with lots of jokes for the adults in the audience and some classic lines I quote all the time. Plus it introduces us to a Pixar staple, the climax that will not quit.

Pixar has released great DVD's from the start, and this two-disc set is no different. The movie is transferred directly from the digital files, so the picture is perfect. Sound is wonderful in two separate 5.1 surround tracks. Many of these extras are from the Ultimate Toy Box release of a few years ago, and they are well worth having. The commentary is very informative. The deleted scenes are interesting, but it's obvious why they were deleted. The new features looking back at the movie from ten years later are wonderful as well.

This is a ground breaking movie that is just as much fun to watch as it is historic. I hadn't watched it in quite some time and was reminded just how fun it is. I've got to watch it more often.
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 1999
I've seen many animated movies where the plot goes nowhere; one would expect the same here because so much time was devoted to the animation. Not so. I've never seen such attention to detail--check out the scuff marks on the bedroom door. I've also never seen a movie that tells such a great tale. I was astonished by this movie while I was pregnant with my daughter, and now that she's into movies, I love that she's chosen Toy Story as her new favorite. Young and old will certainly enjoy this movie time and again--I know I have!
on March 29, 2010
Blu-ray purchasers should be aware that the Blu-ray/DVD combo is available in 2 different packages: Blu-ray Packaging and DVD Packaging. The discs and contents are the same, but if you prefer a certain case, make sure you order the correct one.

I have nothing else to add to the 250+ reviews already here, except to note that the Blu-ray transfer is GORGEOUS: crisp, clean, and perfect. An expert reviewer at the website DVD Beaver has said that out of the 900+ Blu-ray discs he owns, this is the best-looking one.
on June 16, 2010
Until the Disney-Pixar collaboration that produced this wonderful film, movies were pretty much lopped into two basic categories: child & adult. Children would be lost, bored, terrified, or scarred by the adult fare, while adults would be lost, bored, and uncomfortable at the kiddie flicks. Fortunately, "Toy Story" changed everything.

For a basic plot summary, this all-CGI film focuses on the childhood toys of young Andy. At first, Andy is in his "cowboy stage", and so western doll Woody (Tom Hanks) is his prized possession. However, once Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) arrives via an extra-special birthday present, things begin to change inside the toybox, as the two begin a battle for supremacy over young Andy.

There are two main areas in which this movie succeeds so brilliantly: First, it is incredible eye-candy for children. Running the gamut from every type of toy and crazy situation imaginable, this film enraptures the kiddies and will have them watching over and over.

Second, it works because you will be watching it over and over with them! As you marvel at the CGI effects, you will also be laughing at the hilarious jokes that, while going right over your kid's head, will make you burst into laughter. This is mainly accomplished by the cast of "supporting" characters such as the wise-cracking Hamm (John Ratzenberger), the cowardly dinosaur Rex (Wallace Shawn), the loyal dog Slink (Jim Varney), and the ever-sardonic Mr. Potato Head (Don Rickles). Their jokes and humorous situations will make it feel as if you aren't watching a kids movie at all.

Also, though the technology has come a long way even since this film's 1995 release date, it is still no less of a filmmaking marvel. For perhaps the first time in cinema history, computer-animation actually made you feel as if you were watching a "real" film, not just a cheap special-effects bonanza.

Overall, "Toy Story" is one of the most influential films ever produced for its ability to blur the lines between children and adult cinema. For the first time, parents were truly able to enjoy a movie with their children.
on February 1, 1999
Toy Story has become a staple in our house. My young son cannot get enough of Buzz and Woody. I enjoy its wholesome quality. I never have to worry about what my son migt pick up from Toy Story.
on November 4, 2003
This is the first of the Pixar films, and it remains the best. The movie is full of lovable characters, and full of wonderful lessons about friendship and trust that will delight all ages. Of all the computer-animated movies that have come out since this classic, this is with out a doubt the best.
on June 6, 2006
Imagine a world where whenever your back is turned or whenever you leave a room your toys come to life and communicate with each other like we do.

Woody is the toy cowboy doll of a boy called Andy. Woody is Andys favorite toy until one day Andys birthday comes around and he gets a new toy which quickly becomes Andys favourite toy ahead of Woody.

Woody quickly becomes jealous because not only has Andy pushed him aside but his fellow toy friends have chosen the new toy Buzz Lightyear ahead of Woody so now Woody plots a way to get Buzz out of the way for good with disasterous consequences.

I will say no more about the movie as i feel if you haven't seen it then most of this film should be a surprise to you. All i do have to say however is Tom Hanks as Woody and Tim Allen as Buzz are superb choices as the voices of the main characters.

This is an incredibly warm hearted and fun family film that a child of any age would love.
on November 27, 2011
I am probably the single worst person on this Earth to write an unbiased Toy Story review. I was really the perfect age for the Toy Story films, they were in a lot of ways my big cultural touchstones growing up. To see Toy Story again after so many years is in a lot of ways a nostalgia trip and a remembrance to my childhood. The film is a landmark in the animation field, the first feature-length digital animation ever made. It is a technical masterpiece, and a guiding light to the modern era. In a lot of ways, its also very deep. Toy Story has always been a series about MORTALITY, and coming to grips with, well, death. Most children's films skirt this subject entirely, but Toy Story really tackles it head on. Buzz Lightyear has to come to grips with the fact that he is a toy, showing all of us children that we must find a place in the world. In addition, it teaches us friendship, to respect people who are different (the misfit toys), and the pitfalls of jealousy. I cannot describe what this film means to me, in so many ways it defined the person I am today and the morals I have. Watching it now some of the animation is bizarre (especially the dog), but that can easily be overlooked by the shear quality of the performances and depth of the story. It is probably one of Pixar's greatest films and continues to be a favorite of children today. But to talk about just the first Toy Story is to undermine its cultural importance, because as a trilogy it is designed to turn my generation, the kids who grew up with Toy Story, into jelly. The last 15 minutes of Toy Story 3 made me cry like a baby, and I am not ashamed to admit that. As cultural icons, the characters of Toy Story live on, and Pixar's work will be forever judged to the Toy Story series. They are remarkable films and tremendously moving.
Thank you, Pixar.
on July 29, 2015
Toy Story is one of my favorite Pixar movie. I grew up watching this at home with my mom and dad and now the tradition has passed down to my kids and they are obsessed with Toy Story. This movie is on repeat at my house. Toy Story teaches you about creating friendships and learning to cherish every lasting moments but their is a long journey before the two main characters learn the true meaning of what friendship entails but every second has you hooked wondering what will happen next. It is a must have for your online video collection
!!!
on December 3, 2015
Can't tell you how many times my little one has watched this in the last week. He is obsessed with Toy Story. It's really nice that I can have it on the phone so when we're shopping and he gets a little testy we can had my phone to him and he sits quietly! I had never actually seen this movie and was quiet surprised by how good it was. Amazing movie!