Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

• Toys
  • Customer Reviews

on March 15, 2011
I just finished Tick Tock and really enjoyed it and was excited about reading his newest book, Toys. I saw that the fist 21 chapters were free and decided that even though I knew I would wind up buying the book, I may as well start reading for free. The book really grabbed me in the first few pages, it went downhill very quickly. I was not able to relate to the main characters in any way, where is the character development? His fist twist wasn't a surprise at all and the main character was so two dimensional that I found that I didn't actually care what came next. Great idea/concept and so disappointing because he could have done so much more with this story line! I might be willing to keep reading in the hope that the book would get better if it was free, there is no way I would pay $14.99 for this book. Do yourself a favor and get the free 21 chapters first.
1616 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2011
I am most dissappointed in Patterson and this book. Maybe he needs to think about what he publishes for adults and what has appealed to his followers the most. I hate this book - half way through it I feel like finishing it would be a punishment. I expected the same quality and got fooled. It is annoying, the characters are stilted and lack personality - even the human ones. Next time I will get the previews before i buy!
77 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2011
First off, let me say that Patterson has lost it. I keep reading his books, thinking, "this has to be better than his last." Honestly, this is hands down, his worse book, and he has some stinkers out there.

This book takes place in the future, where the Elites pretty much rule the world. If you're a human, then you're considered worse than trash. You're the scum of the Earth.

Hays and Lizbeth are Elites, and everything is perfect for them. Perfect marriage, perfect jobs, perfect friends, perfect kids, ect. Then one day Hays receives a shock that turns his world upside down. He went from National Hero, to the most wanted man on the planet.

This book has so many flaws to it. First off, it's so predictable. I had the entire book figured out within the first 30 pages. There was nothing to keep me glued to the page, no plot twists or anything exciting. As I said, I had the entire book figured out. I had to struggle to finish it.

The characters are really annoying. Hays and Lizbeth are very flat and one dimensional. They had sickly sweet names for each other, "My Love" "My Darling" ect. I mean who talks that way? God! Oh, and everything was perfect. "Perfect legs" "Perfect Smiles" One character even said to Lizbeth, "What happened to your beautiful hair?" Arrrgghhh!! We get they're perfect, and life if perfect for them. Do we have to read about it 5 times on every page. This was just rich people telling each other how perfect their life is. UG!

The names of the cities were soooo annoying. "New Chicago" "New Vegas" "New Lake City". God, how annoying.

Patterson really dropped the ball on this one. I borrowed it from the library, and I want my gas money back that I used to go there to get it. He needs to get back to the basic and write his own books and not "co-write" them with these authors.

In my opinion, don't even waste your time reading this. Honestly, it's not worth it.
3232 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2011
I could not get through the first ten pages and call me dumb because I actually bought this. I am so sick of him teaming up with these people and putting out these books as fast as the printer can print. There is no quality to them. Okay, I take that back, I like the books with the Bennett character in them. So one out of ten?

Come on Mr. Patterson, if you love to write, then write. Write those awesome books that you wrote in the beginning!
PS You would have gotten no stars but they won't let me do that.
VINE VOICEon March 19, 2011
I've read every James Patterson book, both the good and the bad. I've ripped some as being terrible, but this is the first one that I just couldn't finish.

In TOYS, the year is 2061 and humans are a subspecies on a planet ruled by creatures that are 99% human and modified to be super human and they are called elites. They are super smart, athletic, sexy and moral. They are perfect. Hays Baker is married to the sexy Lisbeth, has two precious kids, and is at the top of the world after meeting the president. Something goes wrong, and Hays is suddenly on the run for his life, separated from his family.

Patterson's (I know he didn't write it, but his name's on the cover) view of the future held my interest for a few pages, but I quickly lost interest. The writing is horrible, with constant references to current pop culture even though its supposed to be fifty years in the future. Society's view of humans, as voiced by Hays, is comical in its absurdity. So are the ability of these Elites, they can run 50 mph and survive falls from ten story buildings.

Bottom line, Patterson is an idiot. He keeps churning out crap. I've accepted some of his books that, in spite of being churned out every other week, are still moderately entertaining standard thrillers. But, now he's branching out into new genres, perhaps looking for enough dumb people to buy a book so he can create a series.

I read 100 pages, enough to realize I don't need to do this to myself. I don't need to keep reading. By the way, I got this at the library. I didn't pay for it.
on March 20, 2011
A note on the dustjacket of one of Patterson's books described him as the world's best thriller writer. Really??? Not if this book is anything to go by! Words simply can't describe how bad & boring this book is. As for it being classified as a thriller, well the lest said about that the better. Anyway, who really writes Patterson's books these days? At last count (according to the Fantastic Fiction website), Patterson has used no less than 16 other 'writers' to churn out the seemingly endless number of books that have supposedly made him 'the world's best thriller writer'. Now I have to be honest here, I have a real issue with authors that use other writers to pen their work, & then emblazon their name boldly on the cover, while the actual writer's name is in much smaller print. To me, the name on the cover should be the person who penned the work, & if the work is the collaboration of more than one writer, then both should have equal billing (& equally-sized print) on the cover. Also, I must add that since Patterson has adopted this method of 'writing' his books, the quality of his output has dropped through the floor. The early books like "Along Came A Spider" & "Kiss The Girls", etc., were very, very good. Great plotting, well-established characters, biting suspense, but not any more. But then again, once an author has created a name for himself/herself, & their fan base is established, I suppose their books will likely sell anyway. And who are these co-writers anyway? With the exception of Andrew Gross & Liza Marklund, both excellent authors in their own right, I've never heard of any of them. So why does an author, who has proven he CAN write, & write well for that matter, fob his writing off to much less talented others, & discard quality for quantity? Beats me!
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2011
Save yourself some money and pass this one by. If you just HAVE to read everything Patterson writes, wait for the paperback so it'll cost you less. I've read all of Patterson's books, and this is, by far, the worst. I'd call it SciFi Lite - just like his young adult series Daniel X and Maximum Ride. The problem is that it READS like a young adult novel. I don't think he's written with this co-author before and if he ever does again, I will be sure to avoid it. I was truly shocked at the poor quality of the writing - something I did not expect from something with Patterson's name on it.
on March 20, 2011
I agree with most of the other reviewers, this was one of James Patterson's worst ever, he needs to work towards quality rather than quanity.

The book really grabbed me in the first few pages,then I lost interest.

Hays and Lizbeth are Elites, and everything is perfect for them. Then one day Hays receives a shock that turns his world upside down. He went from National Hero, to the most wanted man on the planet.

It's so predictable. I had the entire book figured out within the first few pages. I've read every James Patterson book, both the good and the bad, but this is the first one that I just couldn't finish.
on March 18, 2011
This book should be reclassified as Juvenile/Young Adult Science Fiction. James Bond it is not. Perhaps Batman. This rock'em sock'em robots story, although well constructed, is not sophisticated adult fiction or science fiction. The musical accompaniment and interludes trivializes this story even further.

As Patterson lends his considerable name and reputation to new and co-writers, he continues to tarnish the same.

"Toys" is a very poor outing and will disappoint the experienced Patterson reader.
on March 18, 2011
James Patterson is usually fun to read. This book could have been written by one of the titular toys. The Kindle version is overpriced and underwritten.