Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Toysmith Deluxe Zen Garden
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Deluxe Zen Garden|Change

on April 8, 2014
I got this for my wife to help her stay calm and as a tool for her to use to help control her rage.. It worked very well and she enjoyed it until I upset her due to a doughnut fiasco. I suggested she work on her zen garden rather then to let my nice doughnut upset her, At that point she thought the zen garden would better serve her by hurling it at my face. The pretty wood frame shattered on the wall to her dissapointment as I ducked the flying garden. Needless to say the bright white sand is forever in our bedroom and never really seems to go away. I hope you enjoy it. My wife apparently did not
99 comments|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2001
This is the perfect gift for that someone who you always have trouble buying something for. Even if you are not a believe in Buddhism and Zen, this is a fun gift for anyone who needs a little relaxing and enjoys being creative. You can create your own little "Office Zen garden" and have your visitors play and create their own garden if you would like to. Every time I use this, I feel the tranquility washing over me, just like a true meditation.
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2012
This zen garden is well worth the price. I was very pleased that there was plenty of sand as some of the other zen gardens had reviews saying not enough of sand that is not the case with this one. Another reason I chose this particular one is that it came with wooden - not plastic - rakes and two different kinds at that. I painted the wooden rakes a dark cherry color to match the mini elephant and laughing Buddhas (see picture) that I purchased from amazon at a minimal price. I also purchased 7 polished chakra stones to put instead of the stones provided. I used the stones that came with the zen garden in the water fountain I also purchased. Both were for a birthday gift. The recipient loved the gifts. 3rd reason I chose this zen garden is it came with a great little book for zen meditation. 4th reason - it was packaged in a beautiful outer box one that a person would want to keep. Some reviews said the bottom is flimsy. This was my only concern. I am happy to report that the bottom of the one I received was intact although it is thin, it is adequate for the more than ample amount of sand provided and the sand does not leak out. Great gift for adults - now I want one for myself.
review image review image review image
on January 18, 2013
It's ok. I've been wanting a Zen garden for a while, and after reading a lot of reivews, even though this one had problems, I still decided to take a chance. The box is very beautiful in my opinion, there is plenty of sand, and no where did it advertise jade rocks (like other reviews have suggested), but yes, stuff did arrive broken. The broom's head was snapped off and the larger bird had both its wings snapped. The birds are made in a very fragile ceramic. Nothing I can't glue at home....but I paid $27 to not have to glue anything together. I'm going to keep it, but Toysmith needs to find a different way to ship the fragile parts....or use a better adhesive.
on November 24, 2009
I just received this today and while I knew to expect nothing hand crafted, I was shocked at how amazingly flimsy this thing really is. The bottom wood actually came with a huge crack; big enough to leak out all the sand. The feet were glued on with cheap glue and 3 of the 4 came off in transit. Based on the construction, I'm amazed it was even in one piece.

The reason this gets 2 stars is that the accessories are pretty decent. And the sand looks fine. If this wasn't cracked in the center, I'd most likely have kept it and it would have "worked" for its purpose. Having said that, if you are looking for a desktop zen garden, look elsewhere.
on June 14, 2011
I do not believe this is a toy... It is very calming to use, and therefore, it is a form of meditation. The Book of Meditations that it comes with are enlightening quotes, ones that will help you reach peace of mind.

The box is well built, and sturdy. It comes with two bags of sand, but one is enough to fill the box. The rocks are not jade as advertised, but they are polished, shiny, and smooth. One of my cranes fell over at first, but I just had to pull one of the legs back and it stands just fine=]. The broom that you use to smooth out the sand when first beginning, and after each use doesn't really work how it is supposed to, but I use the back side, without the bristles and it works out well. The sand is really, really soft, and white, and the box is gorgeous.

This is an excellent product. I was so excited to receive it, and now I am so glad to have it.... FOREVER!! I love my new garden. It's fun, and you feel like you have an actual garden to tend to. It's FANTABULOUS... Mine is anyway... Other customers said their box was wobbly due to uneven legs, but mine isn't. If you do not purchase this Zen Garden, I still highly recommend getting one, although, this one seems to be the best one out there.
on March 10, 2015
I really like this zen garden.

Pros: the sandbox is nicer than what I expected, the sand is more granular than regular sand, and the rocks all have little imperfections. Obviously they do...they are rocks...but I still like it, so it's a pro.

Cons-ish: I do not have any personal problems with these items, but you should be aware that the rocks look common, and I do not understand what the straw tool is for, but the bristles fall out pretty easily. The straw tool is not welcome in my zen garden.

Cons about this review: I do not know how to review rocks, but the zen garden has helped put me to peace with this negative trait. Or lack of trait. Or whatever.
review image review image review image
on March 13, 2009
I had an older Zen garden for years that someone gave me and I have set up at work. I would compliments on it all the time. A friend and coworker of mine loved mine so much and wish she could find one but never could. I surprised her for her birthday and got her her own and she loves it so much. She set it up at work and uses/plays with it all the time. It was higher quality than the one i had and I'm thinking of getting another one to replace the one i currently have because it was such a nicer one than i thought it would be. Very worth the money.
on June 22, 2012
My 9-year-old ordered this zen garden with her hard-earned lemonade stand $. After reading the reviews on this product and others, we decided to take a chance on this one despite comments about problems with the bottom of the sand tray. The product came packaged very nicely in a well-made, decorative sturdy box. I liked that it had small wooden "feet" with cork pads - won't have to worry about scratching up my daughter's dresser. All the extra pieces (polished rocks and 2 rakes as well as a Zen Meditations book) were included as advertised and there was plenty of fine, white sand (we only needed to use 2/3 of it). Like other reviewers, we found that the bottom of the sand tray was slightly bent/warped and pulling away from the frame on one side (uploaded pics on product page). A bead of hot glue along the inside of the frame did the trick and we haven't had any problems keeping the sand from "leaking" out. My daughter has been playing with it on and off since it arrived yesterday morning and really enjoys it. For $14, this was a good deal...for anything more than $20 I would think twice only because of the slight problem with the frame.
review image review image review image review image
on August 20, 2009
I loved the box and tools, they look very nice, cute cranes and all, but the rocks are the plain , dull sort, not the glowing jade advertised. just to let you know....