Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on February 7, 2010
Our 7 year old absolutely loves this clock! She is learning about energy provided by inanimate objects like potatoes. She has tried lemons and liquids with good results. Appropriate for a lesson that does not yell SCHOOL! Would be helpful for any child needing to learn to tell time.
on May 2, 2010
This was exactly what we needed. Actually we only needed the clock, but it was nice to have the whole kit. Directions from the internet made it clear that you needed a particular, low voltage / current clock and there is NOWHERE to find one. My husband is an electrical engineer and he spent days looking for one with no luck (other than trying to build one, but time did not permit that).

Directions were the same as the internet, connected the clock and it worked. Our son brought it in for his 2nd grade science project and was able to explain in "2nd grade terms" what was happening. I highly recommend this product.
on November 19, 2010
I needed a 1.5v clock for my son's science experiment. So I bought this product solely for the clock. It worked perfectly. The only knock on the item is the gauge of the wires from the clock to the power source are way too thin. Not sure the gauge, but they were significantly smaller that the smallest 20 gauge wire sold by the hardware store. We tested the 1.5v clock with a .8v battery, 1.4v battery and a 1.8v battery. The clock worked in every case! Great price and great fun!
on December 31, 2010
This simple classic demonstrates the building of a battery using nearly electrolyte source (tomatoe, potatoe, lemon, orange, apple, etc). The clock is of very low quality with poor switches and half the indicator segments were non-functional out of the box. This was readily repaired, but is typical of these low cost kits. Regardless, my son (6) and I had a good hour or two of fun together playing with this and demonstrating the principals.
on September 14, 2011
Of course my grandaughter had no clue about "potato clocks". But she was suitably amazed and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane for me!

The twisted wire connections felt fragile till I actually looked at the instructions and found out about the little pieces of tape that came with.

We wondered what we could accomplish if we put a hundred potatoes in series! ; - )

Bottom line: a perfect, elegant little gift for a grandad to give.
on January 15, 2011
This is an item I would strongly advise anyone to purchase. It's all good. It is really easy to put together, doesn't fall apart and the clock really works. The price was excellent and it has been working quite accurately for several weeks. Actually, I plan to order two more for upcoming birthday presents.
on January 15, 2011
Love this "toy". Sure, it's educational and all that but it's so much more. It's so easy for a child to put together although a young child might need a little help. It easy to do, doesn't fall apart like so many toys do and the clock actually works! Plan to buy a couple more for upcoming birthday presents. Can't beat the price either.
on February 26, 2015
A gift for a 10+ kid who is into science. I am familiar with the potato clock set-up, but it seems that a novice could also follow the instructions with ease. May need an adult to help twist the wires onto the copper and zinc conductors (similar to a thread-the-needle technique). You have two options to set this up: 1) buy two potatoes, or 2) use soda in the included plastic cups. Both methods yield the same result, but the soda method can be tedious. If the conductors touch inside the cup of soda, then the experiment does not work. Lots of DIY videos online using zinc nails and pennies if you need to grasp the basic concept.

Only gripe is that the clock could be a little more user-friendly. It doesn't sit upright on its own and doesn't have the "press and hold" feature for set-up that most clocks/watches do. Therefore, if it tips over or you have an accidental bump of the wrong button, it will probably reset. May want to create your own labels for the two clock buttons to aid the youngsters.
on May 20, 2015
I picked this up as a gift for my daughter for Christmas. I decided to go with a science experiment theme this year.

This works ok, but I've seen much better kits. The pictures and description don't mention that it comes with two low quality (think plastic Dixie cup) cups for holding potato pieces. The higher quality kits I've seen have sort of a double tray to hold two potatoes, lemons, etc., as well as the clock so it's all one unit. Also the wiring does not seem to be connected to the clock very securely (this connection is permanent), so that if you move the clock a bit the time resets. However it was only 7 or 8 bucks, so I can't complain too much.
on November 13, 2015
I got this as a Christmas gift for my five year old. It DOES NOT come in a box. It comes in s little bag so you have to be careful opening it so you don't hurt the directions. UPDATE! Clock does not work! It says 18:88 no matter what button we push!