5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fast paced barre workout

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fast paced barre workout, December 18, 2010
Jenny G (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
The DVD has four sections:

Warmup (8:48):
Lots of second position plie variations, including some fast-paced side to side moves. There is a person doing modifications that does not go down very low in the plies. That modification may help some with tricky knees. After the plies, she moves into crescent pose variations and then planks pulling back into downward dog. Then something similar to a pulsing warrior 2, before repeating crescent pose, planks, and downward dog on the other side. The warm up is fast paced, but I found it very doable.

Sculpted Arms (9:57):
All done standing with dumbbells. She recommends 3 lb weights working up to 5 lbs. I used 5 lbs. I find some upper body barre routines using weights are a bit light but really liked this one. While not as intense as Squeeze Stronger, I felt like I got a nice upper body workout. She does traditional exercises, but adds her own twist to make them interesting.

Booty Barre Workout (32:41): Includes:
o calf raises
o diamond plie variations, including side to side hip movements
o second position plie variations
o lunge, and then moving the back leg forward to kick up into the air (similar to grand battement)
o curtsy squats with kicks
o pulsing arabesque/attitude combo for the glutes
o figure-4 standing stretch
o repeat lunge, curtsy squat, and arabesque/attitude variations, and figure-4 stretch on other side
o second position plie, lifting outside leg up and elbow down to work the obliques
o wide squat pulses kicking leg out to the side
o more standing glute work (just over 2 minutes)
o Repeat second position plie/squat/glute work on other side
o The above takes almost 20 minutes and then she moves into cardio. For cardio, she goes into a reverse lunge and then brings the back leg forward. She also includes mountain climbers and a plank variation jumping the legs in and out.
o She then moves into the "final segment" with parallel thigh plie work and more diamond plies
o She closes with some standing stretches, and then more glute work!

Abs & Flexibility (12:43)
o Knee dancing (this is up and down movement and pulsing, as opposed to leaning back that is done in some barre workouts)
o (22) pushups, some slow and some fast (she does these bent knee, I modified to toe pushups)
o Ab work (approx. 4 minutes)
o Side plank balances (T-stand)
o Locust pose
o Flexibility starts at about 8:43

COMMENTS: I really had a lot of fun doing this workout. There is a lot of glute work!! I didn't feel the intense burn in the thighs I can get from slower paced, small movement, Lotte Berk inspired workouts, but I also think that as I learned this DVD better that might come more with time. Even without the burn, though, I felt I got a good leg workout.

I really like Tracey and think she is a great instructor. She is energetic and peppy, but not over the top. She seems like she is having fun, and I did too!

It is fast paced but not too much so. I was able to keep up through the entire workout and didn't have any safety concerns that I might injure myself. Tracey gives a lot of pointers on form, too, which is nice. I have a sensitive knee, but was able to do the entire workout. Some with sensitive knees might find parts of the DVD difficult. Always good to know your limitations, and make adjustments if needed. I have hip dysplasia and am fairly tight in the hips too, but only had a minor problem with a short segment of the main workout (had to keep my leg lower than hers). There was a nice cardio pace to most of the workout.

My only complaints were that ab work and flexibility section are pretty short. I did my own stretches after. But overall, I enjoyed the workout so much that those seem like minor points! This is a keeper for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, tough workout!, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I just got done doing this workout for the first time, and really loved it! It's my first Tracey Mallett workout, and I really like her personality. She's friendly and encouraging, and gives excellent form pointers throughout the workout.

To do this workout, you'll need a chair and some three- or five-pound hand weights. A yoga mat is also helpful for the core and stretch section at the very end of the workout.

Since another reviewer already gave an excellent breakdown of the workout, I'll just add in that this workout is a great addition to the barre workouts that are already out there. Although the title of her series (Booty Barre) says that the focus is on the rear end, the actual workout title (Total New Body) gives an indication that it's a full-body workout -- and you will definitely feel every muscle group being worked during the sixty-five minutes!

Also, when I read reviews of new workouts, I like to know if they will add something to my fitness library, and this one definitely does. I'm a barre newbie and have only been doing barre workouts for a few months, so my barre library is pretty limited -- I have the two Physique 57 workout series (six DVD's total), Exhale: Core Fusion - Body Sculpt, the three Squeeze workouts by Tracy Effinger, and ROCKIN MODELS Workout DVD with Grace Lazenby, and this one is very different from all of those other workouts.

For starters, it's got one of the best upper body/arms sections on any of the above-mentioned workout, except for the upper body segment of Tracy Effinger's Squeeze Stronger (fitness workout). The upper body section on P57 always seems short to me, but Tracey's workout really works parts of the upper body (including rear delts) more thoroughly.

It also has a great cardio factor, almost like the P57 workouts. In fact, in one segment, she has you use the front of the chair and also the floor to do some cardio moves to get your heart rate up there.

A couple of the exercises I've seen in other workouts, but almost everything in this workout was new and fresh to me, and I really felt the moves! One of the four background exercisers also shows modifications for some of the movements for those who are new to barre workouts.

Overall, this is a really fun workout that I know I will use a lot! I'm had excellent results doing barre workouts, and love getting new workouts that will keep me motivated.

UPDATED ON 12/29/10: I did this workout for the second time today, and just wanted to reiterate that it's a fantastic workout that is really challenging, but also fun! I hope Tracey puts out more workouts like this one soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, TRACEY'S BEST EVER!, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
Loved this high energy workout that is non-ballistic but supper effective. The arm section had some unusual moves with high reps and very Pilates inspired, I could feel the effects for a few days.
The best is the Barre section. A nice mix of dance, Pilates, a little kick boxing side kicks plus cardio mixed in. My legs were screaming but somehow Tracey is so motivating that you just want to keep on going. The music was so energizing the girls were all different sizes and shapes which I appreciated.
Abs section was short but effective with once again creative moves as Tracey is famous for. This is by far her best workout and one of most favorite workouts of all time...very addicting!!
Looking forward to my new Booty.

2.0 out of 5 stars More for the ballet dancer than not, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I'm a total Physique 57 fan and have been religiously doing the DVDs every day of the week, but I just wanted to add a little something different to my routine. You get a good workout with this video, BUT if you're not flexible it is very difficult. Tracey moves very fast and all of the exercisers in her video are very flexible. I found this very discouraging because I can't stretch my legs out that far and when she gets going fast it's difficult to keep up. Also, there are no video shots from the side, so it's hard to tell what angle they are actually kicking their legs. More instruction in this video would have been very helpful along with someone not a dancer showing abbreviated moves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and fun but very tough!, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
NOTE: I received a free copy of this DVD to review for the web site Metapsychology Online Reviews; you can find a more detailed version of my review on that site.

In her introduction, instructor Tracey Mallett explains that she created The Booty Barre workout to combine elements of barre, dance, Pilates, yoga, and kickboxing. Tracey instructs the workout live in a bright indoor studio with four background exercisers. The only props required for this workout are a sturdy chair (for the barre work) and a pair of light (3-5 lb.) dumbbells, although I found a mat to be useful.

The Main Menu of the DVD offers options to either Play All or to select each of the four chapters individually. I have described each section of the workout in detail below.

Booty Barre Warm-Up (8.5 minutes)
This is a fast-moving, active warm-up with a bit of a cardio effect. Tracey starts with several variations on pliés, adding in heel lifts and moving from a squat to a standing forward bend. There is also a bit of a dance-like element in swaying the hips from side-to-side. The final sequence includes a flow in and out of a yoga warrior 2 position, from warrior 2 to crescent lunge, and finally from plank to an inverted triangle, or down dog.

Booty Barre Sculpted Arms (10 minutes)
For the first half of this segment, Tracey quickly moves through some more traditional arms exercises, including side delt raise, overhead press, chest press, rear delt lift, and a unique side/rear delt raise which lifts out of a squat position. The second half focuses almost exclusively on triceps work, although it also includes a front delt raise and long biceps curl.

Booty Barre Workout (32.5 minutes)
This glute-focused segment is the heart of the workout; a chair is used throughout. In general, Tracey completes a series of exercises on one side, then does the same series with the second leg. For the first 12 minutes of this segment, the setup is sideways, with one hip facing the chair. Some of the pliés here are similar to the warm-up moves, but the addition of kicks (from lunge and curtsy lunge positions) makes the work both more challenging and more glute-intensive. This first series concludes with a pulsing rear arabesque/attitude. The second 10 minutes also starts with the side to the chair in wide plié for knee lifts. Tracey then performs a squat into a side leg lift, eventually pulsating and rotating towards the chair to change the emphasis from the hips to the glutes and back again, and finally, concluding with a killer "stork" kick. With just over 13 minutes left in this segment, Tracey introduces what she calls the "cardio section." Using the seat of the chair for balance, this approximately 4-minute segment involves standing in a runner's lunge and rapidly moving one knee in and out plus quick-moving plank variations (e.g., mountain climbers, bunny jumps). For the final standing sequence, Tracey returns to behind the chair for an assortment of moves, from parallel feet to additional pliés to bent leg lifts (back and side). The best thing about this segment is that Tracey is constantly changing up the approach: just as you are starting to become too fatigued in one position, she switches to working the glutes from yet another angle.

Booty Barre Abs and Flexibility (12.5 minutes)
For this section, Tracey and crew begin standing on their knees, briefly lowering and raising from this position to work the core. After some push-ups/plank work, Tracey then performs a series of moves in a seated c-curve position. This is followed by more Pilates-inspired abs exercises, including both the single leg stretch and the single straight leg stretch. Tracey performs a very brief (about 1 minute) series of back extensions before moving into the final stretches. The 4-minute seated stretch sequence includes rock the baby, seated cross-legged forward bend, wide-legged seated forward bend, and wide-legged seated side bend; Tracey concludes standing.

One of the background exercisers, Laura, is designated as the modifier, but she actually shows very few modifications--although she doesn't go as deeply into the pliés as Tracey, for the kicks, Laura is generally kicking higher than any of the other exercisers, including Tracey herself! This just underscores the fact that The Booty Barre is most appropriate for those at an experienced fitness level. The barre segment in particular is challenging in terms of both strength and stamina, as Tracey keeps you constantly moving, producing a strong cardio effect.

Tracey perhaps tried to do a bit too much in this DVD: at just over an hour (approximately 63.5 minutes total), the workout feels a bit long. She might have been better served by making the barre segment a bit shorter and by adding more lower-body focused stretching, which definitely felt lacking. Personally, I loved the arms work and the first 22 minutes or so of the barre section; in the future, I may only use the DVD through that point. Those who like this workout but find it to be too advanced might enjoy Xtend Barre: Lean & Chiseled, which is somewhat similar in that it is a fast-paced barre workout that includes an excellent upper body segment.

5.0 out of 5 stars a new flavor of Barre, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I have been doing barre workouts for a few months, I own physique 57 and bar method. I was looking to add a new dvd to my routine and ran into the booty barre.

I did the workout yesterday and boy am I feeling it today. I wasn't able to get through all the kickboxing stuff but it's definitely something I can work up towards.

I agree with the other reviewer, the arm workout is one of the best when compared to other barre workouts.

Overall, your butt and legs will be sore the next day and Tracey is very pleasant to watch, has great form and excellent cues.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE BOOTY BARRE!!!, May 18, 2011
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I LOVE this dvd!! I have been a fitness trainer for 5 years and nothing has changed my body more significantly to the Victoria's Secret model body I've always worked so hard for in my own training. I've increased my flexibility and my legs look fantastic. Also, my tennis game has improved significantly thanks to the plies and pulsing! I have also been improving my running mile times due to how much more glute activiation I have. When I feel tired during my run or playing tennis, I can literally feel my butt muscles kick in and push my further, harder, longer. It's incredible. I look like I have been a dancer, not so much a buff athlete now. Thank you, Tracey!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Discouraging for Ballet Newbies, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I will start by saying that I love Tracey Mallet's other exercise video - I use her 6 Minute Quickblast DVDs more than any other exercise videos I own. I thought I could trust that her approach to fitness was a stairstep one, starting at the "doable" and working up to the "darn hard but I'm proud I just did that" stages.

Unfortunately I really feel let down by The Booty Barre, and I think that anyone without significant ballet background should steer clear. I noticed that most of the positive reviews are by people who mention former ballet training... which I think tells you something. So rule of thumb for Booty Barre: beginners at ballet, no way; experienced at ballet, go for it.

If I were Tracey Mallet, I'd redo this video with two levels - beginner and advanced - and for the beginner, begin with the really basic moves, but instead of focusing on only one muscle until total muscle failure (read: setting us up for failure), I'd mix it up with different target muscles. Oh, and stop moving the camer so that the only backup person who is not a professional ballerina is NOT cut out of virtually every shot, we need to see how she is doing it both to see how normal human beings (not Gumby) do the moves, and for moral support. Oh, and not have a professional ballerina as your "modification" person when she is actually outdoing Tracey in every single move (not exaggerating! She lifts her leg higher, goes deeper, every time).

When I started thinking "Tracey, what on earth is wrong with you?!" when only halfway through the *warmup*, I knew there was a problem. I actually exercise quite a bit (running, swimming, lifting weights, general aerobics, some biking), I just don't happen to use those specific muscles that ballet uses (e.g. the ability to stand on tiptoe - not really much in demand elsewhere), and I really can't imagine that anyone other than a dancer has those muscles built up either. After the first 5? 10? minutes of nonstop moves on tiptoe with no break, my calf muscles were knotting and jumping; same later with the leg raises (I forget the ballet terms) and the arms and - well you get the point. I could have done it if there had been some mixup - tiptoe, leg raises, arms, etc all mixed up. But I did not start out able to do those moves or with those muscles built up, so guess what - I can't do a whole whole whole whole lotta those moves in a row. Why on earth wouldn't she mix it up? I'm honestly baffled about what Tracey Mallet was thinking.

I know some people would say "well then just don't do them" but that is really bad psychology, and lazy video-making. I did as long as I could, and then stopped - completely. I had no belief that I could just fast forward and be able to do the next segment. I tried a few days later, promising myself I just had to make it halfway through, and had to stop again. Both times I felt like a total failure and was so very discouraged. I just don't see any way for me to be able to do this video, and there is no motivation to even try since I feel like it sets me up for failure. I'm giving away this video, and going back to my old routines. To say I'm discouraged is a very big understatement, and I'm also really surprised (in a bad way) that Tracey Mallet would put out this kind of a video.

Sorry to be so negative, as I said before I really liked Tracey Mallet's other exercise videos, I just thought this one was a real dud for ballet newbies.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best DVDs for lower body Shaping!!!, April 13, 2011
CircleCityGirl (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I just received this DVD and was anxious to try it based on all the positive reviews. This did not disappoint!! I began this workout thinking I would not even break a sweat, and boy was I wrong. I was getting a little out of breath in the warm up alone. This works every muscle in your legs, as well as core, and well, the entire body is constantly working. This is not easy. I really felt "worked-out" after and was sweating way more than I thought I would. Also, I really like Tracey's demeanor, she does not talk too much and is very inspiring! I highly recommend!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the inflexible, August 2, 2011
This review is from: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body (DVD)
I like Tracey a lot as an instructor. She is encouraging, not too over the top, and her cuing is great. But I caught myself so often swearing at my TV and yelling at Tracey to please stop and start stretching. Yes, the workout is hard, and the poses are challenging. And unfortunately for me, this DVD is nearly impossible to do.

I'm very tight in my hamstrings and my lower back. If you're tight like me, you'll have problems doing at least half of the lower body poses featured on this DVD. There's always the option to modify the poses, but most of the times she was moving too fast for me to correctly follow what she was doing AND modify the poses to my level at the same time. I kept falling and swirling around helplessly, probably looking like a drunk squirrel trying not to fall off a shaking, pulsating tree. I usually want to give up 20 minutes into the workout and really have to force myself to keep pushing. That's why I'm also lacking a feeling of accomplishment after finishing the workout. Usually I want to go hide under a blanket and cry and eat my weeks worth of chocolate all at once to tickle out some post-workout feel-good-endorphins to make me feel remotely human again.

The moves are very effective, and you'll get and amazing workout for the glutes for sure. Booty Barre also offers so much more of a cardio training than most other barre workouts I've tried. But everytime I try it I keep getting frustrated due to my inflexibility. Which is probably also why I wished it had more stretches.

This is a great workout for normal people. For the flexibility-challenged this is more of a no-go.

ARRAY(0xa5be9888)

Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body
Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body by ATP Fitness Productions (DVD - 2010)
$19.99 $15.99