5.0 out of 5 stars TracFone LG 800G Touch Screen Cell Phone
The LG 800G cell phone is the first touch screen offered by TracFone, and in my opinion, the best TracFone yet offered. But don't look for it on LG's website - you won't find it. It is a special prepaid model for TracFone/Net10 only. I don't even find it listed overseas.

Published on June 18, 2011 by Dr. M

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it, with some caveats
I got this phone for $40.00 and put a 60 day NET10 card on it to try it out. So far, here are my observations based on how I use the phone. (I don't do texting)

1. Lightweight and size are fine. Phone fits easily into the hand.

Published on July 6, 2011 by Audio Guy in NC

5.0 out of 5 stars TracFone LG 800G Touch Screen Cell Phone, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Tracfone LG LG800G with Double Minutes for Life!! (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I have had mine for about four weeks. It is not a full smart phone, more like half-smart, when compared to something like the iPhone. It doesn't have accelerometers, it doesn't have WiFi, and you only have limited capability to change orientation of the screen.

But at only $50 or less, it is a very good value for the features it does have - a very good cell phone -- with a music player, HD camera (stills and video), external memory (optional), data cable (optional), a qwerty keyboard app, texting, and included apps for games, alarm clock, stop watch,voice recorder, calendar, memo pad, tasks list, scientific calculator, and World clock. And, you can add hundreds of your own apps, provided they are java apps.

You can surf the internet and access your email and text message - all costing you minutes. I personally don't have anything important enough to pay for cell phone internet connect time and downloads. But if you do, you can do it with the LG 800G.

While the external memory (microSDHC card), and USB data cable, are not included, you should consider them essential and buy them. The reason is that it is much cheaper to download apps to your computer and transfer it to the LG 800G by data cable. The data cable must be a USB-typA to a micrUSB-typeB. The data cable can only access the microSD card (external memory) and not the internal memory.

You can also use Bluetooth to connect to a Bluetooth headset, or to transfer files to/from a computer (if it the computer also has bluetooth.) You can set file transfer to be either to internal memory or to external memory.

The LG 800G comes with double-minutes-for-life, and if you catch Home Shopping Network just at the right time, they occasionally have triple-minutes for life. The cost per minute is around ten cents, and even less.

The LG 800G has just too many features to discuss here. You will find the TracFone User guide that comes with the LG 800G to be pretty basic -- mostly devoted to activating the phone. You will want to access the TracFone LG 800G on-line Tutorial. There is no link on the TracFone website to the tutorial but you can find it, and the best user forum/blog, by Googling "TracFone LG 800G Tutorial." The top three or four hits should take you to the tutorial and to the Turk Forum LG 800G discussion.

All in all, I very much like the LG 800G, and would recommend it to a friend. My favorite app is the music player, which also has an equalizer and Bass Boost. With a good stereo headset, especially one that also receives calls, it is as good as it gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this phone!!, June 26, 2011
I decided to get a Trackfone because I just can't justify nearly $100 per month from AT&T when a Tracfone would only cost me about $100 per YEAR. This phone does everything and more for me especially since I only use my phone to talk and text message, occassionally check facebook or e-mail online with it, but that's about it. It's the perfect phone, so lightweight, easy to use, easy to see for someone with low vision like me which is perfect, and just neat with the touchscreen capability. Definitely get a cover for it though because without it it is EXTREMELY slippery and easy to drop. Love everything about it otherwise though.

UPDATE: July 14, 2011

After leaving my glowing review a few days later I also began having the texting problem most people seem to have. I was receiving the same message over and over and OVER again and couldn't get any new ones either. I called costumer service and spoke with a very friendly, very helpful woman who reset my text message service and within a couple hours it was up and running again and has been great ever since. I adore this phone and wouldn't want any other as of now. So rest assured that if you do get this phone and IF it did develop the texting problem then it can be easily fixed. I still give it five stars!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it, with some caveats, July 6, 2011

1. Lightweight and size are fine. Phone fits easily into the hand.

2. The 'touch' screen sensitivity is chosen obviously to filter out accidental 'presses' to icons on the screen, but---it filters a little too strongly for my taste and I wish this was adjustable.

3. The camera is said to be a 2mp design, but it does not seem as good as the camera in the LG 900G, which is also a 2mp camera.

4. The camera 'take a shot' button is virtual, not a real button, and I find that this causes some shots to blur, since in trying to 'push' that virtual button, the camera can easily move and you get a blurred shot as a result.

5. There is major shutter lag, so that the pic you see and want to capture might not be what you get, aka, with animals and kids or any kind of action.

6. The phone seems plenty signal sensitive, based on my use of other phones.

7. Battery life is ok, not amazing.

8. From what I got in an email from NET10, the phone needs an external memory card in order for the USB data transfer to work. I decided to use Bluetooth
to avoid putting a memory card into the phone (you hve to remove the back of the phone and take out the battery to see the memory slot)

9. Since I don't do texting I cannot offer an opinion. I have read on other sites that this phone has texting problems and that NET10 is going to fix that problem with an update.

10. Overall, I like the phone, but wish the camera was as good as the one in the LG 900G which I found to be truly excellent. The 900G also has a real shutter button and less lag and images come out less blurred.

It's not a smart phone but for the price and NET10's service plans, it's an excellent value in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but I'm perfectly happy!!, June 20, 2011
TimTime (Orlando, Fl) - See all my reviews
Got this for a Net 10 plan and I think this is a fantastic phone. I use it mainly for phone calling and occasionally checking Gmail or Facebook wile I'm away from home. It's not a smart phone but for my use it is perfect especially with a $25 a month 750 minutes a month NET 10 plan. I don't browse on a phone, not even on my iPod touch because phones are too small for browsing the web, I save that for my laptop. No apps on this phone so if you are looking for that, look for a smartphone.

Pros: Size. It fits well in my pocket and isn't as bulky as a Iphone or Blackberry sized phone. Easy to see dialer. Touchscreen. Easy to turn to silent mode and back as well as locking the phone. Nice clock display when in lock mode. Sound quality on calls are excellent. Hasn't dropped a call or missed a voice or text message. Customizable to an extent. MicroSD slot inside. Bluetooth. Sleek looking and slides right into my pocket.

Cons: I think the Bluetooth is just to connect to an earpiece because i couldn't connect to my Ipod. Np biggie. No GPS or Google maps unless you go into browser mode. The touch-pad is not as precise as a Iphone but it still has qwerty features (though not in the default browser). It even has handwriting recognition but i find that slower than the qwerty. I love how easy it is to spell qwerty haha.

All in all a great phone for $39. I had originally purchased the LG 900g but returned it for this one and i am quite pleased. It's poor mans IPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not an iPhone but great as a Tracfone, August 6, 2011
Derwinator (Round Rock, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I've recently moved from being a contract cell phone customer to prepaid. My contract with T-Mobile expired some time ago with a shared family plan, two phones, and a 1000 minutes per month for $49.99. Pretty cheap, right? That's what kept me as a customer for quite awhile in that I really couldn't find a better deal. Then I noticed we got dinged 10 cents for every text message somebody sent us (our Motorola Razr's were difficult to text from so just didn't use it). I also couldn't do any wireless web access without paying a big fee. And after taxes and fees we were up to around $64 a month. I also noticed that my wife used the bulk of the minutes while I only occasionally used mine. We thought that if we could get her onto a reasonable plan with lots of minutes and me on a cheap plan with few minutes that would save us some dough.

After doing a ton of research I found that my wife's phone could be moved to a prepaid plan with 1500 mins/texts for $30 a month. After switching the plans I then discovered the Tracfone LG800G at my local Target. I saw from the reviews that many folks liked it a lot while others really hated it mainly due to issues with texting. Not being a big text sender myself, I figured I'd give the phone a shot. After buying it, I went to Tracfone's website to activate it while transferring my existing number. Halfway into the process, the web site went down for "maintenance" - UGH. Not a good start. Being patient did pay off about 4 hrs later I was able to complete the number transfer request. I braced myself for the possibility of having no phone at all while the process played out in the systems. An hour later, I saw that my current phone was indicated as "cancelled" at T-mobile's web site - PROGRESS! About 20 mins later I logged into Tracfone's web site again and saw that my phone required "updates." After following a long process to enter multiple number sequences into the manual code entry of my phone, it came to life! My number was transferred in a little under 2 hrs from the time I hit submit on the form.

Coming from an old phone like the Razr the LG800G has been amazing! Love the touch screen, the features, and ease of mobile web and messaging. I can easily connect it to my iMac via Bluetooth connection and drop ringtones, wallpapers, and apps onto it. Sure, it doesn't run iOS but that's why I keep an iPod Touch around for (costs a whole lot less, too!). Based on my limited testing, I'd say that Tracfone now has a handle on the texting issues as I've not had any problems with it yet. Sound quality is great, my signal is a lot better around town than I had with my old phone but I can't say if this is just new technology or the fact that I'm now on the AT&T network. I was able to load up the phone with 200 minutes using a 60 min card, the double minutes for life feature and a promo code. This put my cost at about 10 cents a minute if I don't count the out of pocket cost for the phone. If you're looking for a nice feature enhanced touch screen phone in the pre-paid wireless space, you could do a lot worse than this one. I'm completely impressed, so much that I wrote this review and I don't write very many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepaid Touch Screen, July 6, 2011
codegeek (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I came to Tracfone over a year ago as a way to save money while I paid off my disconnect fee from VZW. Here I am, a year later, and still a Tracfone customer. I was going to switch to another prepaid phone with a QWERTY keyboard when I saw this phone come onto the market, and I snagged it. Here are my thoughts on this phone:

1. This is Tracfone we are talking about here. My first phone cost $10.00. This one cost $49.99. Don't expect too much.
2. The call quality on this phone is excellent in the Atlanta market, much better than my old phone.
3. The touch screen is responsive enough, even for a fumble fingers like me to use the QWERTY keyboard.
4. The blue tooth works great. I have transferred music to it from my laptop, as well as connected a blue tooth headset. I can't use the buttons on the headset to answer calls and redial etc, but see #1.
5. The camera is "alright", but if you bought this phone to take pictures, see #1.
6. The web browser is a really nice feature, and the one I missed the most moving to Tracfone. It's a little expensive for my taste, but its there if I need it.
7. I was able to download my required two custom ring tones :-)
8. There is enough features on this phone that is customizable to keep it interesting.

Every time I have had an issue, with the notable exception of their SMS gateway sending me repeat text messages over and over, the service department has been able to help me fix it. They have been friendly and responsive. If all things stay the same, I'll probably hang with Tracfone for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but a few things to watch for, August 17, 2011
I've had the LG800G for about 3-4 weeks now on Tracfone after having had a Motorola V176 on Tracfone for about 3 or 4 years.

There's no sense in repeating what others have said in their reviews but here's a few points of comparison if you're like me and just switching from a "flip" phone to a more modern touch screen on Tracfone.

1) Battery life on standby is maybe 60-70% of my V176. It's not horrible; it's just not the heroic 10-11 days I'd get from my V176 when it was on and not being used for 75% of the day. Of course the screen is 2-3x bigger too on this phone so that's not going to help the battery life.

2) Touch screen is nice; it does take more pressure than an Iphone but it's not unreasonable at all. Note that you only get a virtual keyboard to type on when you're actually sending texts and not in other instances.

3) Documentation is scant; you'll find yourself scouring the internet for the information and tips you'll really need to operate this phone. Google is your friend!

4) Call quality seems to be good; I don't have massive experience with it yet but so far it's been quite reasonable. My location puts me on the AT&T network with this phone. You may also end up with T-Mobile as the carrier depending on your location.

5) Speaker phone seems to operate well.

6) You'll want a screen protector for this phone as well as a rubber skin/case to protect it. If you want any music or pictures on the phone you can expect to add a 4gb memory card to it as well.

7) Read up on the texting problem that this phone is known for and make an informed decision before you buy it. Not everyone is affected; my phone hasn't been so far but I've not done much texting. This may be a firmware issue that Tracfone can fix; details are not clear.

8) Another issue to be aware of if you send/receive texts is that this phone will not tell you who has sent you a text until you pay to view it. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that you can't tell whether the text message you're about to read is a junk text from a spammer or from your family until *after* you've paid for it. Boo, hiss! This is an obvious firmware issue that needs to be fixed with this phone. Even my ancient V176 would show you what number had sent you the text before you paid to view it! Hopefully we'll see a firmware fix for this soon!

I'll update this review as my experience grows with the phone.

----

Update 1:

Tracfone now has fixed models of this phone w/o the dreaded texting issue where the phone doesn't display texts or fills your inbox with repeated texts. Apparently to fix it they have to swap your phone with one of their new ones with this fix in place. If you want to buy this phone and be guaranteed of getting one that is fixed you should buy it directly from Tracfone (at least at this point).

I've given Tracfone some grief about this phone not displaying the sender's information before you read (and pay for) a text message and they were unsympathetic saying it was a feature just not supported on this phone. Of course, they make money every time you read a junk text so they are not exactly motivated to get this problem solved...

This phone really is pretty nice...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, July 19, 2011
I replaced an old Moto flip phone with this a few days ago.
The Good: The phone features are great. Clear sound and good reception. Installed a microSD card for downloading music. The MP3 music play works very well. Calendar, contacts list, and other phone basics OK. The QUERTY keypad is great for messages. However, other functions (contacts, calendar, etc) will use the phone keypad for entry. The keys can bey a bit touchy (Touch phone humor). If you load PDFs onto your SD card the phone has a built in viewer, but can only view smaller files (< 2 Mb) and it is slow to turn pages. The 2MP camera is ok. Some tweaking is necessary to get higher quality pix.

The Bad: 1. The web browser is pretty much trash. It is slow and unresponsive to accessing even the default sites such as weather. Did not try the facebook or twitter. But, those minutes get used up fast waiting for a web page to show up.

2. It does claim to run Apps. However, these are not Android apps, they are JAVA apps. The Java marketplace does not appear to be accessible from the phone (you would not want to anyway because of using up mins). The market is small, but several Java apps such as games are free by way of a PC download and transfer. As with most phones you can pay to download ringtones, images and games, but if you can connect up to a PC via the USB port, these can also be downloaded free or nearly so.

3. The USB cable, a case, and mobile power/charger adaptor are extra items. Tracphone used to bundle these with some phones, but not the LG800G.

4. There is no built in Email app. The Net10 version has it, but not Tracphone. There are a few Java Email apps out there but I have not tried to install them. There may be issues with the port opening (ie lockout) that can prevent them from working.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockin Cheap Touchscreen Phone, July 26, 2011
I was a little leary about this phone because of the horror stories with the texting(which have now been rectified). So i went to pick one up for 49 bucks at wal-mart, and i'm very pleased. The one you buy there is actually NET-10, i guess Trac Fone is in cohoots with them, which is fine. It doesn't come with a pen, but you can easily find those for cheap at best buy, staples, etc. The touch sensitivity is just right, and it's very easy to calibrate. There are plenty of apps, and the internet works very well. The only thing i don't like which is even common on more expensive phones is that you can't watch Youtube or any other streaming videos on it. However you can watch Mp4 video format movies, and videos on it with no issues. The speaker is very loud, and great for watching thing and listening to Mp3s. I had a 4 gig mini SD card with my last phone, so i already had a lot stored on it to try out. Now there are some drawbacks which i will list under pros and cons.

Pros
Touch screen is great, lag free and smooth.
Dialing it great, numbers come up quicker than with regular old push buttons.
Has the feature where you can use handwriting (like an etchasketch) to right texts etc.(Pen recommended)
Tons of ring tones, very loud speaker(phone), loud regular phone speaker.
Internet runs smoothly for checking Facebook, Amazon, Reading, Google, Yahoo etc.(Keep and eye on your minutes though, it takes them fast)
Great for watching videos, listening to MP3s, viewing photo slideshows etc.
Also has built in video and picture cam.

Cons
Memory mini SD card fits inside the phone, so unless you buy a transfer cable you have to pop the back off to access it, and put it in your computer.
Phone is very slippery when holding(using it). Be cautious, even when your hands are dry. Easy to drop.
No streaming video, which some androids won't even do, if they do the Java always crashes. Save that for your laptop.

Thats about it, as i said the texting issue has been fixed(just be sure to get a newer one at walmart). I wouldn't recommend Best Buy, or Radio shack since they don't sell as many as Wal-mart, and they probably still have the old defective ones sitting around. So if you want a great cheap touchscreen phone and don't wanna break your bank, the get this, i like it better than the 80dollar Motorola. Much easier to navigate, sounds is better, and the battery life is far superior. Motorolas dry up quickly, especially when talking. So don't fear, the problem has been fixed, and NET10 are a great company to deal with.

Note:When i transfered my number from my old NET10, i only had about 259 minutes. Well upon transferring they gave me the full 750, that i get with the 25$ card plan i have ha. So that was a huge plus. Guess they don't mind giving away free minutes. Sweet deal. so go grab one, i think you'll dig it. I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG 800G, June 21, 2011
I am pretty amazed that I even have a touch screen phone when my carrier is TracFone.
I must say LG and TracFone have done an amazing job for their first touch screen phone.
I look forward to see what they come up with in the future.
---Things I like---
Ability to take videos (2.0 mgp)
Touch Screen is durable
Mp3 player
Nice texting keyboard (iPhone style)
---Things I dislike---
You must buy a micro sd card in order to
save mp3 files and large amounts of photos.
Does not come with usb cord to connect to computer.
Touch screen is a little slow.
Keyboard letters are kind of small, for my fingers at least.

Rate and Discover Movies