Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on June 25, 2010
I bought this book to add to my collection of tracking books. I enjoy tracking and love to introduce others to the art. This book will help me do that. It's nicely laid out, with photos and illustrations to show the concepts. Tracking will help you be more aware in nature. If you have never had any experience with tracking, get a book like this one and learn the key concepts. Then go out and practice. The photos of the tracks and signs in this book will help you recognize the things you find in the field. Compare the different tracks and learn the details that help identify each animal. This book is lightweight, so you could carry it with you. It is a large format (approx. 8.5"X11"), which would make it bulky in a backpack, but it would travel well on a day-hike. It would make great reading around the campfire after a day on the trail too. The price is just right too - not too pricey like many full-color books are. I run a lot of interpretive programs for young people and tracking is one of the subjects I cover frequently. I would recommend this book for any parent who wants to begin to introduce their child to tracking. You learn not only to identify the tracks, but how to follow the trails of the animals as well. This is a very fun activity to do with kids. Hunters will also enjoy this book for the many hunting tips it contains. Get this book, then go outside and have fun!
on January 7, 2014
This is a good book for folks to learn some of the art of tracking. I think that it should have had more smaller game in it that people will encounter so they can actually use the book to learn about. Recommend eliminating animals like the SnowShoe Hare, Caribou and Jaguar that most people will not encounter and adding Turkey, Red Squirrel and Grouse. Also think the infomation on Scat should be expanded.
on June 23, 2014
I was expecting much more from this book. It is extremely basic and taught me very little. If you are interested in the subject you probably already know most of the information in this book. It seems filled with pretty photographs of animals, but the photos of the tracks being analyzed are hard to see. I bought the hardcover rather than the Kindle version because I wanted the photos to be easily seen and in color. It didn't help much. I don't recommend it but I don't know of anything better either.
on June 23, 2014
Still reading this one as it is very lengthy. That being said I, as a person from North Easter U.S. find it very insightful and helpful. I am not a big hunter nor do I read this stuff for future sport pursuits. I just think the more you know about what it around you the better. Good little bites to bring to the cocktail party too by the way. Example: Hey did you kow that wolves pee higher up the tree as they can so that they can appear larger than they are? Maybe that is why we miss the toilet so often?
on April 13, 2013
This book is very easy to read. It provides a lot of useful information and techniques that can be applied right away. I have taken the kids out tracking in the woods a few times. They like it, and I was amazed at how much more I could read in trails left by deer, cats and squirrels.
on July 15, 2014
Im interested in understanding more about the differences between animals especially elk and moose vs a deer for hunting and he spends little time on those things. I wanted more pictures and more ideas of what to look for to start. The reasons for animals smells which are hard to detect until you are super close anyways dont matter to a being tracker
on January 24, 2015
I found this book to be very informative. I am new to walking through the woods looking for signs of animals and have found this book to be exactly what I was looking for. Easy to read with a lot of detail concerning the animal life in my backyard. I recommend this book.
on January 21, 2014
I am a beginner tracker. I have spent time in the woods and wanted to improve my skills in the woods. This book is clearly written and I really enjoyed the animal specific sections on what to look for.
on September 25, 2013
I really enjoyed this because it went into the explanations of why tracks look like they do, and it made me think. Also, I bought the kindle version, and the diagrmas worked well. It was a good buy!
on February 13, 2014
the author did a great job with this book. It is well written and turns what could be a dry and boring subject into something interesting and fun. great information on tracking, as well as the behavior of most game you would track in north America.