Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Gimme Some Truth forum

Tracks that Should have been Included:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2010 5:35:50 PM PDT
As always with box sets and compilations, most people would probably exchange a track or two on this set for a substitute of their preference. I thought it would be interesting to record some such thoughts here. Here are a few of mine:

. Bring on the Lucie (Freda People)-- how did this one *not* get on the Working Class Hero disc? If I'd been overseeing the preparation of this collection, the first suggestion I'd have made would probably have been to replace Meat City with this one. What the heck was Meat City doing in the middle of a CD of political and social statements, anyway? It would have been better placed on Roots, possibly in the position now occupied by Sweet Sixteen, probably my least favorite of the 'Rock 'n' Roll' covers.

- One Day at a Time. In case you haven't guessed, yes, I do like 'Mind Games.' I know it's not a common favorite, but sue me. Anyway, I think this one might have been much more apropos for a disc about romance than, say, Hold On. I wouldn't have sequenced it directly after Mother, though. I think it would go best after Well Well Well and before Oh Yoko! (Oh My Love, which is a wonderful song, could be moved elsewhere.)

I also think 'Rock 'n' Roll People', an outtake recording first issued on 'Menlove Ave.' in the '80s, could have had a place on 'Roots.' It's not one of Lennon's greatest songs, but it definitely shows his deep connection to the popular music of the '50s and early '60s. Perhaps 'Rock 'n' Roll People' could have been the track in place of 'Sweet Sixteen', with 'Meat City' substituting for the live 'Hound Dog.'

Then there's 'Going Down on Love'. I think this one could have slotted in right after 'Mother' and would have led very smoothly into the beautiful 'You are Here.'

I would also be tempted to rearrange the whole 'Roots' disc in terms of its sequence. I'm not sure what I'd follow 'Be-Bop-a-Lu-La' with (as I'd retain that one as the opener), but 'You Can't Catch me' would likely be track 3, followed by Peggy Sue. Slippin' and Slidin' would also be pushed forward, say around track 6, as would 'Do you Want to Dance.' Actually, how about 'Slippin' and Slidin'' as that track 2?

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. Anyone else got anything?

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 7:35:35 PM PDT
I feel they did not have to have every single song from Rock n Roll and I like your ideas. Meat City is one that could have been left off. The perfect solution would have been to make it 5 CDs and include every song and maybe charge $49.99. I'd buy that for sure. I have not got this set (yet) so I have not listened to the order all though I can do an ipod thing and make this I guess and see how the order sounds. Then maybe ever make your changes and any others who may pipe in and see how it goes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 9:55:07 AM PST
"I have not got this set (yet)". Why are you reviewing something you do not have (yet)?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 7:50:29 PM PST
What is the big deal Mr. Reeder? I am commenting on the previous comment. I am not reviewing anything. I am just talking about a common interest with others here. Do you have anything to say that would be worth reading on this subject? If so then say it otherwise...:-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gimme Some Truth forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Oct 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions