4.0 out of 5 stars Applying Traction to small consulting business
Published on July 6, 2010 by Saad Shah (Michigan)

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful -- if wholly understood and implemented unilaterally
Published 4 months ago by Totoro

4.0 out of 5 stars Applying Traction to small consulting business, July 6, 2010
I read Traction in April 2010 and started applying it to my consulting business. We are an information technology consulting firm, with 10 consultants (including me) working on around 5 projects at any given time. Applying the EOS has brought about a big change in the way I approach my business. Our situation is typical of other consulting firms: 99% of the energy in the firm is spent on serving our clients, so not much attention is paid to "working on the business."

Rather than write a review of the book, I think some readers might benefit from seeing the practical application of the EOS model described in the book:

I did the Organizational Checkup candidly and scored 53%. Here's the status of the other areas:
1. Vision: Complete. Has been reviewed and updated with the input of the team. The V/TO is a very useful tool.

2. People: In progress. The Get It / Want It / Capacity assessment has been completed (with the team). The right person/right seat is a challenge because currently one person is occupying most of the seats. The book has given us the framework for right person/right seat and we are determining how to apply it without asking our team to overcommit themselves.

3. Data: We've created our initial scorecard, and we jointly reviewed it in May and June. The next monthly review is in mid-July, and we will be adding more metrics. More info here on my blog post: [...]

4. Issues: We had an external consultant spend time with us in June to observe our operations and provide us a candid assessment. As a result, we've got a list of issues and recommendations. The implementation of the major items is not yet certain. We have to face the choice between focusing on client work versus working on the business. Some of the issues won't be addressed until I remove myself substantially from client work and act like a CEO.

5. Processes: We were already fairly strong in the processes that affect our clients (project delivery, proposals, estimating, recruiting etc.). Some of our internal processes are being improved as a result of having worked on the scorecard.

6. Traction: We're not there yet (as of early July 2010). We need to make the tough choices (and accompanying investment in the roles) before we can have proper accountability, communication and teamwork for executing our plan and achieving our goals. Our focus remains on doing innovative things for our clients, and I believe that's the right thing to do. It will not be practical to hire a new CEO. So, I will be stepping away from billable roles, and "working on the business instead of in the business."

Overall, I highly recommend this book to any business owner who wants a frank assessment of what's going well and what can be done better. This book is like a mirror. In our case, it is motivational and will help provide a better experience for our team members and clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without traction, no individual or organization accomplishes anything, March 23, 2011
As I began to read this book, I was reminded of a book co-authored by Chip and Dan Heath in which they explain why a few ideas "stick" but most don't. It can also be said about business initiatives in that some have "traction" but most don't. That is Gino Wickman's core thesis. As he explains, most entrepreneurs experience one or (probably) more of five common frustrations: lack of control, underperforming workers, insufficient (if any) profits, limited growth potential, and dysfunctional operations. In a phrase, they can't "get a grip" on their business. What they need is what Wickman characterizes as a "holistic, self-sustaining system that addresses the six aspects of a business": Vision, People, Data, Issues, Process, and Traction. What he offers is the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) that, if "mastered" (i.e. installed and then maintained properly), will enable business leaders to integrate the six components of their business "into a powerful framework that will help [them] gain traction and realize the vision [they've] always had for [their] company."

In addition to a "Summary" of key points at the conclusion of Chapters 3-8, here's what caught my eye:

o An "Organizational Checkup" that enables each reader to complete an audit of the its strength in terms of each of the six components and related activities (Pages 10-12)

o The Vision/Traction Organizer (V/TO) used by leaders to sharpen focus on what is most important (Pages 4, 31-75)

o The "Ten Commandments of Solving Issues" (Pages 141-144)

o Documentation of core processes (Pages 151-161)

o "Organizational Checkup" (Pages 204-206) that enables leaders to gain at least some measurement of what has been accomplished since the first "Organizational Checkup" (Pages 10-12)

Presumably Wickman would be the first to suggest that it would be a fool's errand for any reader to attempt to apply everything that recommended in his book. However, he would insist (and I wholly agree) that an organization should have only one operating system, albeit one that is flexible, resilient, and (yes) durable as well as comprehensive, cohesive, and cost-effective.

For some organizations, the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) - after appropriate modification - will be a significant improvement over how they have operated until now. For other organizations, the EOS offers some attractive possibilities for strengthening even more an operating system now in place and functioning well. Kaizen (i.e. continuous improvement) is a process, not a destination. What Gino Wickman has learned and so generously shares in this book can be of substantial value to almost all business leaders in almost all organizations for whom continuous improvement is more than a laminated affirmation on a wall; it is a way of achieving operational excellence at all levels and in all areas.

4.0 out of 5 stars A business strategy book for the small business owner. One of many that might prove helpful., January 13, 2011
I liked it. The book is well organized and does a nice job of expounding on its points. As I read it another book from 2007 came to mind: No Man's Land: What to Do When Your Company Is Too Big to Be Small but Too Small to Be Big. Both books are written for the small business owner who has gotten his company to a certain level, but things are not growing or moving forward. The book has an Intro and nine chapters as follows:

0. Introduction
1. The "Entrepreneurial Operating System"
2. Letting go of the vine
3. The vision component
4. The people component
5. The data component
6. The issues component
7. The process component
8. The traction component
9. Pulling it all together

The book basically is a discussion of a diagram the author calls the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) which consists of six components discussed in chapters three through eight. As I say above, I found the organization of the book to be good. However, I did not find the organization of the EOS to be particularly sound. Not too long ago I read and reviewed Be Bodacious: Put Life in Your Leadership which I thought would have been better written if it had promoted the following leadership system: (1) Dream, (2) Strategize, (3) Take Action, & (4) Persist. The vision component in EOS is comparable to the dream component, and the traction component in EOS is comparable to the take action component. So, in my humble opinion, the EOS is missing two components at a minimum: (2) strategize & (4) persist.

I found the discussions regarding the issues component and the data component to be very well done. I also liked the discussions regarding people and process. However, I was wondering about three more components that seemed relevant to me, but were missing: business models, finance, and marketing. It is so much easier to strategize productively regarding your business if you dissect the business model it uses to exist. Financing considerations are always important when it comes to business, and it is naïve to talk about taking your company to a new level without considering finance in a big way, i.e., devote a chapter and a component to it. Lastly, a business without marketing will probably not last long as a business. So there should have been a chapter and component devoted to it, too.

The author claims in his Introduction that he is putting a new slant on strategic planning for the small business. I agree he certainly has created the EOS which I have never seen in print before. However, the underlying principles discussed in this book have been around for a long time. This book could be tagged as the following: business strategy, project management, problem solving, or leadership. And many books on these subjects have existed prior to 2007. See The Complete Idiot's Guide to Project Management, 3rd Edition, Bare Bones Project Management: What you can't not do, and Scrappy Project Management: The 12 Predictable and Avoidable Pitfalls Every Project Faces.

Other books that might be of interest to the reader are: Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management (Theory in Practice), The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management (Portable Mba Series), Ultimate Breakthrough Planning: The Business Funnel Approach, Run Your Business Like a Fortune 100: 7 Principles for Boosting PROFITS, and Being Strategic: Plan for Success; Out-think Your Competitors; Stay Ahead of Change. 4 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be SMART enough to know you need help!, October 9, 2007
I was lucky enough to be one of seventeen Realtors to attend a workshop Gino Wickman presented several years ago. We were all 'small' business people looking for way to increase our selling potential. In one day Gino presented material that not only rocked our worlds, but gave us a plan to stop 'spinning our wheels' and gain the traction necessary to analyze, evaluate, set and meet our future goals. His ability to have us look inside ourselves to focus on purpose, activity and accountability has proven to be one of the best seminars I've ever attended. Can't find a Gino seminar? Yes you can! It's called TRACTION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the game, change your life, win big!, November 4, 2014
So I have been in business some 16 years. I am an expert in my field and even on the bleeding edge of the field over the last few years. I have no formal business education so I studied for years at the school of hard-knocks to get my MBA. I've read every book I could get my hand on. I applied as much as I could, but my business struggled to grow to the size I wanted and needed in order to do the level of business I wanted to do.

I've read most of Michael Gerber's book based on the E-myth concept which I was certainly in. So for 5 to 10 years I worked on the business instead of in it. The big takeaway from all the E-myth books and even several E-myth Worldwide training I did. However as much as I understood the importance of processes and delegating and managing better I still struggled.

Then I had a friend recommend I read Traction and the partner book Get A Grip. WOW! This stuff really made it all click. The years of business study are all now being applied in a simple and manageable way. In the first 30 days of being introduced to Traction, I read it, listened to the audio version twice and read Get A Grip and listened to half of the audio version currently. On top of that I started applying the strategy to my business.

I have never been more focused and more clear about how to hit the big future goals I am going after. I know that over the next 50ish days (of Q4 year end) we will have this system up and running and my business will be in a place it has never been before… accurately predicting future projections, solving real problems and issues forever and growing at pace that we've never experienced before.

I've read Good To Great a few times and you know really struggled with figuring out how a small business like mine could define and create the "right seats" so that we would understand how to attract and keep the "right people" in those seats. Although I didn't get this from Jim Collins book, the theory made sense. Implementation on the other hand was the challenge. Traction took the theory of Good To Great and made it applicable for me.

Now granted I also am now working with EOS Worldwide to roll-out these strategies faster, but that is the thing… Traction is all about application. The book is titled Traction for a reason, reading opens your eye to more than just business theory, it also delivers the tools you need to get traction. At least for my company it seems to be. I have only been at this for 30-40 days and things are sick. I mean we are seriously getting TRACTION! I can't wait to see where we are at in 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, and 10 years. At this rate the future is looking pretty darn bright.

If you are a small business owner or small CEO that is frustrated with your company and feels like you've done it all and wasted a ton of cash and time trying every business theory and concept that came along and have little to show for it, then you may want to read Traction. This is the best damn business book I have read EVER! Only because it is real world and it give you more then theory, it actually gives you the tools you need to run and manage your business, your people, your clients, your profits and even your personal life (if you're working like a dog and missing family time, this book will help you get control of your personal life as well)! I highly recommend this book to anyone running a business that feels out of control.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful -- if wholly understood and implemented unilaterally, October 4, 2014
This review is from: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business (Paperback)
This is essentially a self-help book for business executives. While there are many useful items in here it is ultimately steered towards generating more consulting business for the author and his fellow consultants. Much of the the useful advice listed in here is already understood by most employees at the most basic of companies under different names. Having worked at companies that implemented the processes discussed in this book and the former front runner From Good to Great I have some advice for business executives to ensure success in getting traction:

1. Read the entire book and comprehend.
2. If you use the quote "getting the right people into the right seats on the bus" in meetings with specific people in mind it is you that are in the wrong seat, the bus has no driver, and the wheels rotted away long ago. It may also be a shorter bus than you want.
3. Do not pick and choose sections to implement that fit your agenda.
4. Your "rocks" should not consist of delegating ill-conceived rocks to lower level employees.
5. If there is systemic failures within your company that have gone addressed for any significant duration, they will likely remain in place after implementing the processes in this book. This book exists simply to help you feel better that you "did something", much like any self help book.

This book is very similar to From Good to Great and is in fact referenced in this book. From Good to Great was, in its time was lauded as the self-help book for business leaders. From Good to Great recommended 11 companies business models as the absolute pinnacle of success for everyone to hold in high esteem. These were to be the companies that shifted from being just good enough (level 4) to great (level 5). Three of the companies that were listed are clearly not great: Wells Fargo (TARP bailout), Fannie Mae, and Circuit City. Of the 8 remaining companies only one outperformed the S&P 500 average. Beware of a self help book which references another self help book that demonstrated bad advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a Grip on Your Business and on your Sales Organization, January 27, 2011
Nancy Nardin (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
Publishers will often send us books in hopes of getting a good review. Many end up sitting on our shelves - either they aren't specific enough to sales, or they just aren't strikingly brilliant or different from other books.

In the case of Traction by Gino Wickman, I took a quick look at it and then something interesting happened. I kept reading. It's not that it's a particularly original or entertaining. But it is filled with practical advice for realizing the vision you have for your organization based on a well defined system. And although it is not geared toward sales organizations specifically, it certainly applies.

As a business owner myself, it often feels as if there are a hundred different things I need to focus on. It's easy to see how "Traction" applies not only to business owner's but also to sales leaders. You could argue (rightly) that running a sales organization is not much different from running a company.

The underlying concept in "Traction" is that every great company needs an Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). And every EOS consists of 6 core components;

Vision
People
Data
Issues
Process
Traction

I found the EOS concept helpful in two ways. As Wickman says, the EOS sytem helps you take a wide-angle view of your business and its components. But it also helps you narrow your focus so you can dive deep into each component.

What I like most about the book is that it's practical. It's not gimmicky. The `system' is laid out in detail in such a way that it can be used as a workbook.

And while it's focus is on the operating components at the company level, I see no reason it can't be applied at a department level.

The 6 Components of EOS

Vision

In Traction, Wickman shows how to not only define a compelling vision, but also how to get others to own it with you.
The book lays out what's called a Vision Traction Organizer (V/TO) to help simplify the process. A sample V/TO is provided in the book. You can also download a free electronic version at [...]

It's important to get your vision out of your head and onto paper. After that, it's important that everyone knows what the vision is and for that to happen - you have to communicate it.

This chapter lays out 8 core questions that must be asked and answered and it provides an action plan for creating and communicating the vision.

People

You're asked to take a good hard look at the people you have and whether they're the right ones. And Wickman offers what he calls a "people analyzer tool" and an accountability chart to help you think through it.

Having the `right people' is an obvious requirement. But what makes a person `right'? According to the book, there are two variables; 1) the right person in the wrong seat and 2) the wrong person in the right seat.

The `right person' has to do with whether they share the company's core values.
The `right seat' has to do with the Accountability Chart.

The accountability chart forces you to view your organization in a different way and to address people issues that have possibly been holding you back for years.

Data

We need data in order to measure the success of our efforts. Nowhere is this truer than in sales. But the best leaders, according to Wickman, rely on just a handful of numbers to manage their business. Whether it's five numbers or fifteen, they should all be monitored using a scorecard. A scorecard keeps the measurement process from becoming overwhelming and it also ensures the process is meaningful.

There are 3 rules of thumb for effective scorecards.
1- The Scorecard should be weekly activity based numbers - not the big-picture profit and loss numbers.
2- The Scorecard should be used as a pro-active tool helping you anticipate problems before they occur.
3- Categories that are off track should be red-flagged each week.

As you'll see in the sample scorecard provided in the book, each number is assigned to one person who is ultimately responsible for the results.

Issues

Often the thing that drains energy from people and organizations is unresolved issues. Traction outlines a process that helps leadership teams quickly dig to the root of an issue, discuss solutions, and then decide.

It is the decision that's most important. Indecisiveness it seems can have a more negative impact on an organization then making wrong decisions. To help you identify, discuss and solve issues, Wickman has crafted the ten commandments of solving issues.

He goes on to explain there are vision issues, issues at the leadership-team level and departmental issues. And there are different outcomes to be expected as well, when you shine a light on unresolved issues.

Part of the EOS is an Issues solving track and this chapter describes the process in clear, practical steps.

Process

In the sales profession, process is a hot topic. The more clearly you can define and standardize on a sales process, the theory goes, the more you can replicate success. So this chapter specifically, should resonate with sales leaders.

A typical organization runs by 6-10 core processes. How they work together is the system. This chapter helps you systemize your core processes so that you can refine them, simplify them, and make them consistent throughout your organization.

Wickman shows how to document each of your core processes by using the accountability chart created in the people chapter. By the time you're through, your processes will be streamlined; redundant steps will be eliminated; complexity will be reduced; and key processes will be out of your head and onto paper where they can be perfected over time.

Traction

Most leaders know that bringing discipline and accountability to an organization will make people a little uncomfortable. You don't have any other option if you want to build a great company. The good news is that short-term discomfort will give way to long-term satisfaction and traction.

Wickman uses the word Rocks to describe the highest-level, short-term priorities. This concept comes from Stephen Covey's first book First Things First. It's based on a clever analogy which I will let you discover for yourself on page 171 of Traction.

The second concept in this chapter is called the Meeting Pulse which he equates to a heartbeat of an organization. He is emphatic that meetings are not bad (if they are done correctly) and in fact, weekly and quarterly meetings will be welcomed by everyone once they're done right. And of course, you'll get the formula for doing just that in the pages to follow.

Traction contains all the tools and components that make up the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). If you can master the individual elements of EOS you'll have the traction you need to realize the vision for your company.

In fact, you don't have to master it. Perfection is not possible. Simply by implementing the system within your organization, you'll be on the right path. I plan to give it a try

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, September 20, 2014
This review is from: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business (Paperback)
Very simple...at the edge of simplistic. Gino has consolidated a lot of other people's ideas into a coherent, digestible structure. This approach is too basic to be helpful to many businesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, useful information, May 17, 2010
Jacque (WestSlope, CO) - See all my reviews
I wish I had purchased this book when I first heard about it months ago. The information is so logical and straightforward. Even skipping around and reading things out of order, I have new ideas for my business every time I read something from this book. The scorecard and numbers sections are invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must create focus first!, October 31, 2014
Gino's book is a comprehensive solution to provide any company with a framework for success. There are many consultants who provide specific targeted expertise for a business, but few who provide a total operating system like EOS. By providing focus through a proven operating system, any firm can leverage this platform to understand their own strengths and weaknesses and develop an operating system specific to their values and vision.
John Ervin, RN, BSN, MBA, Allnet Coaching and Consulting

Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business
Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman (Paperback - April 3, 2012)
$16.95 $8.70