on March 21, 2013
If I were to have rated Tracy's Metamorphosis program when I first purchased it, from Tracy's site, I wouldn't have wanted to even give it 1 star. Because I was a Jillian Michaels devotee, and Tracy's Method was strange, and completely different from anything I'd ever done. I found her lack of instruction frustrating, and hated the music. I wanted to return it, but luckily for me, Tracy's site doesn't allow returns of any open product. So I was STUCK with it.

I've given it 5 stars today, based on my RESULTS. I'm now on Continuity Year 2, and I'm SO grateful to her. Her method is changing my body in a way that I never dreamed possible I'm 49 and I've never felt or looked better. NEVER! But if you're new to Tracy Anderson's Method and don't want to spend any time feeling frustrated, do yourself a favor and don't start with Meta. Unlike Jillian Michaels who releases a new stand alone DVD all the time, Tracy's Method is really an evolution and builds upon itself. Read her 30 Day Method Book (Hardcover comes with a great DVD which has 3 different muscle structure routines (1 for every 10 days and Dance Cardio) Then try her Dance Cardio DVD and Mat Workout DVD. That's where you'll find all the explanations and instructions you'll need to fall in love with Tracy's method and become addicted to the results. Doing Tracy's Mat Workout is still one of my favorite ways to spend an hour. I also recommend her Perfect Design Series. By the time Tracy created Meta, I think she expected everyone to be familiar with her method so it doesn't contain as much instruction or explanations as her earlier DVDs. But if you don't want to do her older workouts, Meta is still VERY doable. I know because I did it. You just have to be willing to be patient with yourself. Don't expect perfection from day one. The cardio portion of the Meta program might feel like you're watching Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance, but just step your way through the parts that are too hard for you. You're gong to be doing the same moves for 90 days. Trust me you WILL learn what's coming next, and you'll be grateful that she doesn't talk through the entire workout. When doing the Muscle Structure workouts for the first time, you will have to watch it once and count the reps, usually it's 40, but big deal. You should watch any DVD before doing it the first time, anyway. Yes. The music sucks, but I'd rather use my own music anyway. Changing the music keeps the workouts feeling fresh and new. I've never followed Tracy's Diet Plan, it was definitely too restrictive for me, but I agree with the healthy principals behind her plan... no processed foods, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, lean protein, and after watching Hungry for Change and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead I started juicing.

If you're looking for a program that produces the results that it promises, and you're willing to make a commitment to yourself and stick with it. Tracy's program will get the job done. When I started the Meta program I was 47, with a bad knee, bad wrists, and a bad shoulder. I stepped my way through some of the moves, and took a break between reps when I needed it. Every day I got stronger. Now, working out to Tracy's Method for an hour 6 days a week, is something I look forward to doing. I'm officially addicted but that's a good thing.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2014
First off, let me say this: this is NOT a beginner's workout. The daily cardio will kick your butt if you're not in shape, and the muscular structure programs are extremely tricky at first. But, that being said, it's difficult because it's tough and tough is GOOD.

I have been a runner for 12 years now. I am 25, 5'7 and 155 pounds (around a size 9-10) and have pretty much plateaued on my body shape and weight; I needed something more. I am on day 20 and have already seen crazy results: my body shape is actually changing. My runner's thighs are slimming down (the curvature and "saddle bags" are disappearing), my butt (which was quite big and muscular) is perkier than a stripper's and looks smaller! My arms are also slimming and I am noticing that my waist seems to look longer. I don't weight myself, but all of my jeans are looser than they were 20 days ago, and most of my friends have commented that I look thinner.

I am surprised at some of the comments I am reading. I am seeing a lot of "too hard," "sore knees and ankles," and "the dance routine sucks," or "the music is terrible!" This program really isn't about the music... or the dance routine. It's really about connecting to your body through intense movement and pushing it in news ways, to really grow and foster an appreciation.

If you're sore, buy some braces and fitness tape. I look like I am a robot (and kind of feel like I am in sausage) with the amount of tape, braces and spandex that I need to wear for this workout. Also, I am sore in places that I didn't even know existed; but it's awesome! In regards to the music, she gives the option of no music. Put your iPod on or plug in your iPod to some speakers. I put on a Latin Dance mix and pretend I am JLo. DO NOT let the music or the fact that you "can't dance" be the reason you do not do this. You can jump, and shake your hips. No one is saying you have to look good doing it. In face, Tracy Anderson is probably the ONLY one who looks good doing it.

Bottom line: if you want to feel kick-ass sexy, like you're the fitness queen of the world... while never leaving the comforts of your own home.. DO THIS! Rock it! Put on a playlist of all of your favorite dance songs and rock the hell out of cardio. If you have to laugh the entire time you're doing the muscular structure, or swear at her, do it. This is about you becoming fit and getting out of your routine workout. It's definitely an addictive program and already I feel like I am making a life-style change.

Make it work for you, the energy you put it will definitely match with your results. I am a slave to Tracy for now and forever.. I don't even miss running!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2013
I wanted to wait until at least the first 30 days to write this review, with the intention of updating it every 30 days for viewers to try and get a picture of what the process is like before buying it.

Some Background: I have been a Jillian Michael's devotee for the past year, but saw myself bulking up without burning fat, and didn't exactly feel like I looked very feminine anymore. I was starting to look barrel-chested and didn't like it. I am 5'8'', 130lbs, althetic, consider myself to have a healthy diet (I NEVER eat fast or greasy food, stick to mostly veggies and fruits and lean protein, etc. but i do have a bit of a sweet tooth) and didn't really have much weight to lose, but really wanted to trim some things up. After this I wanted to switch it up, so I decided to give Tracy a try because her method was just so entirely different than anything I was comfortable with or have ever done before. It is by far the goofiest workout program I have followed (i am really not coordinated, and there is quite a bit of a dance-element here (which makes sense, as Tracy is a former dancer)), but I have never seen anything work as well as Tracy's method has worked for me.

I am posting this review for those who aren't overweight and consider themselves healthy, are in a healthy weight range, but just want to try something new. I find most of the reviews on here come from heavier people, or people who haven't consistently worked out, and I feel like I often can't compare their results to mine because they tend to see any results from fitness at a much faster rate than I would.

The Positives: This is not as intense of a workout as Jillian's, but I actually dread it less and find it more effective. I enjoy the dance cardio portion (30 minutes) because you sweat but don't feel exhausted like you can't take another step. The muscular structure portion changes every 10 days, but also consists of several components in the 30 minutes (standing arms, arms with weights, standing abs, abs on the mat, and so far a leg lift portion). In the first 1-3 weeks my body was so tight and pulled together, all my clothes were fitting better, and i just looked lean and fantastic. All without the scale even moving. I am doing Omnicentric, so I lost inches first in my bust, arms, and waist (you know how it goes ladies), and the hips and thighs budged only after 3 weeks and only budged a bit.

The Negatives: Yes yes, she doesn't really cue you. But I think this is just her method of instruction, she does the same thing at her studios. If you can get over the fact that you may sometimes be catching up to her, or not doing everything perfectly all the time, then you will be fine. I sort of find it a bit freeing, but you do have to pay attention. Just don't freak out and get overwhelmed when you don't understand what she is doing right away. Relax, it's supposed to be fun. Also, if you can at least count to 8 you should be able to follow ... it's not hard people. I did go out and buy her Dance+Cardio DVD that just came out to switch up the cardio portion a bit because it was starting to get a bit boring doing the same routine everyday. It helped a lot. Regarding fitness, I am currently in week 4, and let me tell you, I am feeling a bit squishy. This is something I have read about both here and in forums, and possibly has something to do with your muscles repairing themselves, growing, swelling, and pushing out the fat that is on top of them in an unattractive way (who knows), but in the matter of days my perfectly flat stomach got pouchy. And let me tell you, I was not happy. After suppressing my freak-out and doing some research, this actually seems quite common, and in the next 1-2 weeks, things should firm up all over again, even better than the first time. So just don't get discouraged and stick with it. This is usually the phase in any workout program where people drop off (I am told). I also thought I would have dropped at least a few pounds by now, even though I am in a healthy weight range. However, it is the holidays and I have been cheating on the 'dynamic eating plan' pretty consistently, so that probably has something to do with it.

In conclusion, I would like to revisit this at the 60 and 90 day mark, but for right now I would say that this program has done for me what nothing else ever has, and I am committed to sticking to it through the 'squishy' 4-week phase and seeing what else happens. If you are looking for something new and that will challenge you in ways you haven't been challenged before without becoming boring, this is for you.
on July 19, 2014
Wish she would give more instruction and that the camera would actually show the angles and moves. Should be a disclaimer for those with knee problems.
on November 3, 2013
There are aspects of this workout that are easier than the Mat Workout DVD. For instance, the arm segments felt very easy when I began Metamorphosis after doing the Mat Workout. They're shorter and don't consist of as many moves. I used one pound weights at first because it felt so easy, but then my arms got too tired when I needed to support my weight on my hands and knees during the butt lifts. I would have to take more breaks because my arms were shaking so hard. In the Mat Workout she works your arms harder because the butt lifts are done while standing rather than on hands and knees.

The leg lift portion of this workout is so hard. It is so, so, hard. She exhausts the major muscle groups and then does moves that force you to use the smaller accessory muscles that are often quite weak. When I'm done with all of it I feel completely wrung out, so much so that I have to do this workout at the end of the day or I will be physically exhausted all day. But my body feels so much stronger. Going up lots of stairs doesn't even feel like a chore because my quads are so much stronger, and I have so much greater stamina to hold my arms out and continue dancing in my bellydance classes. I feel like this workout makes me a better dancer, and that's part of what motivates me to keep going. Tracy works the muscles I'm going to need to keep doing my snake arms without taking a break. For me, that's a big deal.

People who try this workout are dramatically polarized on the issue of whether they like or hate her teaching style. You can see it in the reviews. She mostly demonstrates the movements and lets you copy her, and she does give some instruction, but sometimes I still feel frustrated because these moves are so different from others I've done in the past. It can be confusing to follow along at first. For my own part, I like it when Tracy is quiet. When I feel like I have the movements down, I use the "music only" feature to mute her and just listen to music and concentrate on the workout. I find that her talking breaks my concentration, and I need to focus all of it and continuing to do the reps. So I'm in the group that is completely fine with her teaching style, and I actually prefer it to other DVD trainers out there. If you love relentlessly upbeat trainers like Chalean Johnson or Leslie Sansone or Denise Austen, or even Jillian, you may not like Tracy. For my own part, I find those other trainers unbearable because they never shut up. And that's OK. Different strokes.

I think Tracy is the right trainer for me, and I'm glad I've discovered her workouts because they make me feel strong and confident and they give me greater stamina for dancing.
on March 6, 2015
This review is for the complete boxed set (instead of just DVDs, as this specific Amazon listing is for). I purchased the Omnicentric boxed set at a big box retailer for $40. I reviewed most of the workouts via YouTube, and decided to purchase. I am currently at 4 weeks, and very happy with the results so far. Here's the breakdown:

*Documentation/Tape Measure: the complete boxed set includes a Welcome Message, Program Tips, Workout Tracker Chart, Dynamic Eating Plan, and tape measure. I personally feel that you're not losing out on much by receiving just the DVDs. The Dance Cardio DVD includes a Welcome Message that pretty much summarizes the Program Tips, the Workout Tracker Chart is simply a check-off chart of where you are in the progressive 90-day program (I just kept a tally on a Post-It note), and the tape measure is...a tape measure, if you need to measure yourself - I personally find it more satisfying to feel the difference in how my clothes fit. I asked my neighbor, who is a RDN (registered dietician nutritionist) who confirmed that the meal plan seemed too low calorie for me - I'm 5'3", 115-120lbs, exercise regularly, with a pretty active lifestyle chasing after two elementary school aged kids. My focus was on reshaping and toning - not losing weight - so I stick to my usual healthy eating habits. I really don't want to be a super cranky hangry mom :p

*Dance Cardio DVD: this is NOT a beginner cardio exercise. It is 30 solid minutes of fast-paced, hopping around, without much verbal cueing or transition breaks. I'm pretty fit and can handle an intermediate dance cardio hour...but this one exhausts me, as there is no break in intensity for the entire duration. I do still do it every few days, but I have been switching it up with other cardio (hour of Zumba, Tracy Anderson Dance Cardio DVs, elliptical), to give my ankles and calves a break. I do like her other Dance Cardio DVDs, there is better instruction and cueing, good cardio exercises. If you are a person who needs to do as the instructor does, this DVD may be frustrating - as other reviews have said, there is quite a bit of freestyling here...I'd say 10% of the time, she does not do the same thing on both sides. I still like it as it taught me the moves I need to be doing per her method, and the pace at which I should be doing them. Now I pretty much freestyle to my own music, with the DVD on mute to cue myself on the pace I should be keeping, and focus on accuracy and intensity of the moves.

*Muscular Structure DVDs: Good stuff. You get a new 30-min workout every 10 days/workouts. After the first few days of each workout, I was more familiar with the routine, and focused on accuracy (angles, pace, follow through) and engaging the parts as cued, checking in the mirror. I think this is the stuff that makes her so popular, it really does work if you do it right. I saw results in my arms and thighs/tush in the first week! I feel tight and springy in areas I've never really noticed before. A lot of it is mat work on hands and knees - if you're not used to this, you may feel it in your wrists and shoulders, just as you would if you just started yoga, etc.

I am seeing results as promised. I usually average 4 days in a row; some days I am only able to find time for the Muscular Structure work, but try to make up for it by doing an hour of Cardio the next day - so not doing the 6 days in a row as suggested but still seeing nice results, yay. Plus she is so cute to watch, what an amazing tiny bundle of lean muscle she is :)

Taking away a star because - and this is going to sound snobby but I'm in marketing so I can't help but notice - this set seems a bit thrown together. The list of what is included on the outside of the box differs from what is listed on the documentation (mine only mentions the tape measure on the documentation, and did NOT include the tape measure). The set feels as though it assumes you know your abilities, dietary needs, limits. Works for me, but as it's being marketed for anyone and everyone, it does concern me that there is very little handholding beyond the federally mandated scrolling warning at the beginning of the DVDs. There really are no warm ups, cool downs, reminders to hydrate. The muscle structure stuff is gold and it works - but if you're new to working out and plan to drop significant weight via the meal plan, please take care.

I thought about taking away another star because I contacted customer service about two things: the missing tape measure and the inability to access the special website section mentioned in the documentation - I received a cut-and-paste answer that the website is being revamped "for the near future," and no response to the missing tape measure. Now I really don't need the tape measure, but I was looking forward to accessing the site. Oh well, the DVDs still deliver.
on January 30, 2015
I have to admit right off the bat that I don't do this program 6 days in a row like she advises you to do. My physical therapist advised me to take this slower than what she suggests. Gymnastics and ice skating did a number on my knees and shoulders so I have joint issues that require a day of rest in between exercise. I do her workout every other day. It is a challenging workout that is a bit like barre exercises where you exercise a muscle group to the point of exhaustion. Even though I'm only following her workout every other day, I am STILL seeing results after 6 weeks of use. My butt and legs are so much tighter and I can get back into my old pants now, 2 sizes smaller.

The dance DVD is awful, it's like she's a leprechaun jumping all over the place, with no structure nor guidance. I replaced that part with my Zumba DVD and it's working fine. I don't follow her diet, but cut way back on the processed food and it's helped a great deal.
on September 11, 2014
I LOVE LOVE Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis series. It was very challenging at first- especially since I had never done dance cardio before and thought I would never be able to "get it." But after sticking with it- I saw AMAZING results within 2 weeks. I finished the 90 day metamorphosis (abcentric) and have now moved on to the continuation exercises Continuity. I am 30 and look phycically better than I ever did in high school/my 20s. She has literally transformed my body, but the way I feel about exercise, food, and healthy lifestyle choices in general. I've been using Tracy's exercises for over 2 years now. I cannot sing her praises enoug!. Her program TRULY works and keeps me challenged.
on February 5, 2014
Let me just start by saying that this method will produce results for some people, but it’s not for everyone. I love working out and have tried just about every workout method that's out there. When I'm not going to a gym, I pop in a workout video. It started LONG ago with my mom's Jane Fonda’s workout videos and it has moved on to P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, etc. I have loved each one of them. My problem is that I get bored of the same workout after a few months so I move on.

With that said, this method is not for people that appreciate structure. While I am sure there is a reason for the method she teaches, it makes absolutely no sense to the structured mind. She does little to no explaining of the movements throughout the workout and just gets worse as you go through it. You spend more time trying to figure out what's happening rather than working out. She also doesn’t balance the workout from right to left. This workout is absolutely NOT a good fit for me.
on July 3, 2013
I've read many skeptical reviews about Tracy Anderson. All of these anatomists and physiologists are upset, by her statements. She makes some pretty huge claims about how it is that her work out dvd gets you in shape. I've got a doctorate in the human body and I decided to look past the ridiculous claims if the dvd worked and well... it has. Seriously in only four sessions I already noticed a huge change in my muscle tone. I am much more confident in a swim suit and in myself after doing the dvd. I won't lie, she will work you. No tape that makes claims that they can change your body should be easy, but if you're willing to put in the time it can be greatly rewarding. I didn't have a weight problem to begin with so I haven't done the eating part. I also haven't been doing the cardio regularly because it made me exhausted, but I have been doing the toning/sculpting portion on schedule. For those of you that are obese or very out of shape this might not be the best tape to start with. I also don't recommend this to people over 55 unless you consider yourself in great shape. If you've been sitting on the couch for 20 years and want to get in shape this is not the tape for you. It will be too much for your system. However, for those of you that found p-90x or Insanity, well insanity, I highly recommend trying this video.