Published on November 28, 2010 by Christine Bonham

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy her DVDs, this plan is unrealistic
I've had other Tracy Anderson DVDs, and think the exercises and her approach is great. This book isn't that great.

1. Ok fine to follow her 1.5 hour a day routine. It's alot but it I can make that kind of commitment for the hoped for outcomes...

Published on September 19, 2010 by K. Canby

4.0 out of 5 stars Toned & Tighter Muscles with Tracy Anderson 30 Day Method? Yes!, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method: The Weight-Loss Kick-Start that Makes Perfection Possible (Hardcover)
I've been intrigued by the Tracy Anderson Method for a couple of years now, but hesitated to spend the money on her DVD's, as they are somewhat expensive. When I discovered the book, which includes both a dance cardio routine and mat work, I bought it immediately. I've always been very active, yet have given birth to three kids. In my mid-40's, I'm very fit, but have just never been able to get rid of that pregnancy "pooch". After having done 20 days of the 30 Day Method, the pooch is gone. I've done so many different kinds of exercise routines over the years, but nothing has given me the tight, knitted stomach that this does. I'm now definitely a believer of using cross-vector muscles to knit the larger ones tighter. However, I do want to make a few comments:

CONS:

1. This workout is LONG! Tracy describes the entire workout as lasting between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. If you are continually increasing the repetitions during mat work as suggested, that alone can take up to 1 1/2 hours, bringing total time to 2 1/2 hrs. I found I had to split the mat work from the cardio just to get them both in, otherwise, I would have to start my day at 4:30 in the morning!

2. The food. Even though I live in the boonies, I've been able to find most of the ingredients listed in the diet portion of the book. However, the diet seems kind of bland and repetitious. I understand the concept of "eating clean," so instead of following the diet to a T, I've made several substitutions that worked to my tastes and time availability. Anyone with internet access should be able to find more user-friendly recipes that are similar to what Tracy has in the book.

3. As mentioned by previous reviewers, following the cardio portion on the dvd is difficult not only due to editing problems, but there is NO instruction given. After several days, I finally "got" the routine, but it was frustrating in the meantime. It would be helpful if Tracy were to have her back to the camera so it would be easier to follow along.

PROS:

1. As I stated before, this works! I've done all sorts of exercise over the past decade or so - P90X, Jillian Micheals, yoga, Pilates, marathons, triathlons, etc..., and I've never been able to get my stomach reasonably flat. While I still have some excess skin from my pregnancies, my stomach hasn't looked this tight and flat since my early 20's! I can see definitive toning improvements in my hips, glutes, and arms as well.

2. I found the dance to be fun, and once I mastered the routine, I found that I could just turn on my stereo, and dance around the house to my favorite tunes. I found a couple other Tracy Anderson dance routines that were free on YouTube, so I wasn't stuck doing the exact same thing for days on end. Learning this DVD routine helped me master the other ones a little quicker.

3. I like how the mat routine gets increasingly challenging, yet you have 10 days to master each set of exercises. By the end of each of the first two 10 day sets, I was very aware of how all my little and big muscles were being used. I literally felt like I was controlling the outcome of how tight my muscles have become by controlling my movements.

4. Considering the price of Tracy Anderson's Mat Work DVD, and her Dance Cardio DVD (each around $30), this book/dvd combo is a bargain. It's easy to read, and it helps to understand the philosophy behind doing what you're doing for 1 1/2+ hrs. each day. It's helpful to have each exercise broken down in the book as well as on the DVD. Plus, you get several healthy, nutritious recipes as well.

Bottom line:

I really didn't need to lose weight, just the "surface fat" that Tracy discusses in the book. Still, I've lost 4 lbs., and I've dropped almost two dress sizes in just 20 days from using this book. If you consider yourself fit already, but not tight and toned, The Tracy Anderson 30 Day Method, if followed properly, WILL get results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kick-Start, September 17, 2010
I read the book in one day. After receiving motivational encouragement from Tracy, I decided to commit.
Pros:
It's been 3 days and I've lost 3 lbs.
I like the idea of switching up the routine every 10 days.
The meals are not hard to cook (look at my cons for the rest of the menu)
It's ONLY 30 days!
Cons:
Cardio is VERY repetitve. I turn on different music so I can finish the 40 minutes.
1 1/2 hours to work out is long. I schedule it in. I am dripping with sweat after!
Meal plan is hard to follow. Lots of ingredients. I modify the menu by picking and choosing the meals that appeal to me.
No wine- I still have my glass of wine!
I am glad I bought it and am motivated to continue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy her DVDs, this plan is unrealistic, September 19, 2010

2. But on top of that, I just spent 1 hour creating 2 out of the 4 meals for the first day. I don't have this kind of time to create meals like this just for myself. Recipes call for things like "2 tablespoons of chive" which means I have to throw the rest of the chives away or figure out how someone else in my family will eat them...

3. There are quality issues with the DVD program. In the book, it says things like "you can start with 20 repetitions, move on to 25, when you get to 60 start weights and go back down to 40 repetitions." THe DVD, however, simply states to do 40 repetitions.

Because on the DVD she doesn't do the full 20, 40 or 60 repititions, I have to constantly stop the DVD so I can finish my complete set and catch up. Obviously, we are meant to memorize or follow along with the book -- but since this is a DVD and we have to follow along with the cardio anyway, why not just have her run through at least a full set?

The cardio is nice and fun, but it does move fast through the sequences. Four repetitions of a move, and its off to another movement. Most of her cardio DVDs are like that, there is a steep learning curve.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for the average family, September 13, 2010
Please keep in mind that this review is of the book/DVD combo and not a review on what Tracy Anderson can do, I have searched her website and have read many success stories of people using her other DVD's and I do believe her 3000 patented moves could work. Also keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and my thoughts may not be the same as others.

I was provided the book "30-Day Method" by Tracy Anderson. You are asked to follow three parts. Part one "TA Method Muscle Design". part two "TA Method Cardio Complement" and part three "TA Method Menus". Before I started anything I read the book completely. Tracy Anderson repeats many times the importance of following all three parts in order for her method to work.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone unless they have a lot of time and money. You need to set aside 45 min- 1.5 hours for the work out each day. That part wasn't too bad to me, it's a lot of time to set aside as a mommy but I had no problem taking time for myself to get fit and have more energy. On top of the 1.5 hour you need to work out you will have to follow her meal plan and not sway from it.

Upon looking at her meal plan, she must think mom's have time to cook all day. She has 4 "meals" per day and most are made of foods I never even heard of. When I went to make our grocery list for just one week for only me and it ended up being 2 full notebook pages of just veggie/fruits and two more full pages of other foods. I sent my husband to the store to buy the ingredients and he spent $150 and was only able to find maybe a third of what I needed.

Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method is very unrealistic for "normal" families. The menu is very unreasonable and actually very unsafe for how hard you will be working out. You would not be getting enough calories to make up for what you will burn in our workout, you are starving yourself to loose weight.

To be able to afford & find & have time to cook the foods you would need to eat for these 30 days you would need to have a lot of money and hire someone to do it for you. And I hope you're not a full-time working mommy who so easily has 1.5 hour of extra time to workout on top of cooking those meals. This 30-day method is for celebrities, just like all the ones she mentions many times in this book, not for the average mommy, women. Way too many unrealistic expectations of us.

Yes, she calls it her boot camp, if I had time and money for boot camp I wouldn't be using this book. I do plan on finding a better eating and workout plan, one that fits into a mommy's schedule and budget.

I do wish this 30-Day Method would be something that would work for me, as in reading the book it sounds very good.

As for the DVD. It's not really a workout video. All the "TA Method Muscle Design" is just a how-to video and the rest is on your own. The "TA Method Cardio Complement" looks pretty good, and is the only part of all this that looks like something I will do for my workout. The video is all in black & white too, just to let you know before you watch it.

--------------------------------
* Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a free sample to facilitate my review. This post reflects my honest, personal opinion and experience with the product which may differ from yours. Product information courtesy of the sponsor. No monetary compensation was provided for this post.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING RESULTS!!!!, June 6, 2011
erika holtz (MILWAUKEE, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I have never reviewed an item on Amazon before but I feel it would be beneficial to do so with TA method book/DVD. This is an INTENSE and TIME CONSUMING process BUT I lost 18lbs and 21inches in 30 days. My sister lost 20lbs and 19inches. We completed the entire method together, worked out together when we could, and prepared meals together. I really advise having a buddy to do the method with to keep yourself motivated. I am an extremely busy single mother of two working full time and my sister is a full time ER RN who frequently works long shifts, but we made time to complete the work out everyday. What I liked best about the DVD and method is that although you have to exercise for 1-3hrs a day, ( the workout never took less than 2 1/2 hrs for me) you can break it up into segments and complete it little by little through out the day when you have time. For example I would do 40-60 cardio in the morning, leg series in the afternoon, and arms and abs before bed. There were days I was so sore that I thought I was going to die, but after stretching and cardio I was able to make it through. If you want easy this is not the book or workout for you. If you want RESULTS and are willing to work really hard for only ONE month then I recommend this. The book is fairly well written, nice to reference when you want to make sure that you are positioning correctly. The menu is easy to follow I love that she focuses on not calories but eating good energy producing food. TA provides all the recipes and my sister who couldn't cook before this had no problem handling them. The downside, the cardio gets boring, BUT it works, the DVD is not edited the best but it comes with the book and most of her DVDs run 30 bucks anyway, so you can't expect perfection. I know other reviewers didn't like that she doesn't smile or talk much, but i personally liked it because it was so hard that if she had been smiley and talking it would have pissed me off-LOL. I have now moved on to her post pregnancy AB video and plan to stick with it.
FYI - I was lazy couch potato, hardly worked out ever and my sister was uber-active exercise freak, it was difficult for both of us but we both made it:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, December 19, 2010
Like many I did a 'modified version'. Didn't fully follow the diet and took 1-2 rest days each week. However, even with my modifications, I lost 8.5 pounds and 12.5 inches. I dropped from a size 8 to 4. Even better, I've kept with the program and continue to get stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY CHANGES THE SHAPE OF YOUR BODY!, March 23, 2011
Tracy Anderson isn't messing around. She has devoted to life to making women feel good about their bodies and she deserves respect for that work. This isn't Kim Kardashian who decided to film a lame work-out DVD. You have to push yourself in these workouts and you will hurt. If you can deal with that, then you can absolutely see changes in your body. I've been working out with the DVD in this book for only 3 weeks and I'm already about to drop a pant size. I don't even eat all the food recommended in the book because I'm Southern and, let's face it, I read this book because I'm an eater. Since starting her plan, I've eaten sensibly, exercised EVERY DAY and pushed myself to do more reps each day. You should be sweating profusely by the time you finish the strength training and totally soaked by the time you're done with cardio. I'VE SEEN SIGNIFICANT RESULTS. My calves look hot, my thighs are smaller, my saddlebags have totally disappeared(!), my abs are stronger (I can actually flex them now), and my arms are looking great from shoulder to wrist. If you want a 10-minute exercise, this isn't for you. If you want a quick fix, this isn't for you. If you want a system that WILL CHANGE YOUR BODY'S SHAPE, then order this book. I've already ordered Metamorphosis from Tracy's website so I can immediately move on to the next step when this 30-day boot camp is over. Tip: I put together a cardio playlist, which was super-easy to do since Tracy choreographs to 130 beats a minute, and I use songs to motivate and reward myself. What's so genius about Tracy's method is that you see results within 2 weeks. That will motivate you to work hard because you'll know YOU'RE NEVER WASTING YOUR TIME WITH TRACY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reeally is BootCamp!, April 13, 2011
If you don't mind what you're food tastes like, enjoy feeling hungry each and everyday, are in good enough health (joints,etc.) to jump for 30-40 minutes straight and MOTIVATED to the max, this is perfect for you! It really will change how your bady looks. I had to pick and choose what I could tolerate from the recipes. Many expensive, hard to find and out of season ingredients. Everything is poached in vegetable broth. It will detoxify you. You will sweat. She scares me a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeliveable Results!, July 30, 2011
I have been the workout Queen nearly my entire life. So when someone comes along and tries to sell me a bill of goods, I'm like..."Yeah right liar!" I worked out in the gym with weights; back in the day when I was "the" only woman in the gym. I have done Yoga, Pilates, running, biking, hiking, you name it I've done it. A few years ago menopause destroyed my figure and I did research for two years to fight the middle age spread. I was going kicking and screaming. Then one day I thought, "What about Madonna?" She has more money than a King but I figured maybe, just maybe, she knew something. I stumbled onto the name of her trainer and figured I'd try it. What did I have to lose?

I wanted to wait until the 30 days were up but I am so thrilled by the results that I am writing after 8 days. I have lost one dress size to date. I am actually getting dressed to go out in a dress I have not been able to wear in two years. This woman is a genius! I will be fifty-five in two months and by the time I reach my birthday, I'm going to be able to put my bikini back on and flub my nose at middle age. I look fabulous and I am definitely going to flaunt it. I FINALLY found something that works. God bless Tracy Anderson. She is my new Guru.

The bad news is you have to work hard. The first workout took me two hours to get through and I lost my cookies after the workout. I woke up the next day feeling like I lost a fight to Mike Tyson. The diet was easy for me. I was already doing something very similar before I began. After the fourth day, I felt like a true athlete again and today I not only breezed through the workout but then I had enough energy to walk two miles!

Try it, stick with it and soon you will never avoid your reflection without clothes in the mirror ever again. This truly is no gimmick.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pluses and Minuses, September 28, 2010
Pros:
-This chick has absolutely no affect, seriously, a completely blank face, ergo video is HILARIOUS. Seriously like watching SNL.
-You will definitely lose weight, and quickly, which is a good motivator for most people
-You can definitely "feel the burn" at least if you're as out of shape as I am!
-This is an extremely strict and regimented program, so if you respond well to rules, you will do well.
-Food is healthy and delicious. I am honestly surprised by how much I like the food.
-I have low back pain and shoulder pain and recently had spine surgery (thus the joy of being incredibly out of shape), these exercises have actually relieved my (office job) shoulder pain and my low back is feeling better too. (I am being VERY careful not to injure myself again.)
-It's only 30 days. If I didn't travel, this would completely be a yummy and pretty easy adventure. It's after the 30 days that this will become questionable.
-Excellent vegetarian options (although proteins could be more varied than egg whites, soy products and cheese).

Cons:
-If you travel or eat out for work at all, you will be unable to comply with the diet as there are no substitutions and it's not like "eat a small salad" or whatever, the foods are very specific. Not sure what the implications of that are yet.
-This lady's lack of affect can also be annoying.
-You're looking at a serious time committment, like 3-4 hours a day. The recipes are quite simple, but you're preparing 4 meals a day from scratch and the repeats are spaced out (so you can't make a larger quantity and eat it a few days later). The workout takes about 1.5 hours as well. I work 12-14 hours a day, try to sleep seven and walk my dog for one, that leaves me a bit short of time to, you know, see my husband or friends. (my husband works from home and takes care of most of the dog stuff, so don't yell at me for dog abuse)
-This is not that different from how I normally eat (I lied, these portions are way smaller than what I usually eat, and I do like the occasional whole grain), except that I do like to, for instance, use a whole green pepper or head of escarole and eat the leftovers over the course of the week, instead of using two leaves. I am concerned about food waste.
-This is definitely not sustainable. If you are a housewife with no children and at least part of your job is to be pretty, then you have your plan here. For the rest of us, I think this is a good tool to drop a few pounds quickly and remember how good those other jeans feel.
-The video only covers one side of the body. Would it really have been that hard to do both sides? While learning the moves (I still am), I have to rewind to make sure I'm doing it right. Annoying to stop and rewind.
-Like another reviewer, I prefer a few more carbs (whole grains) to keep my brain functioning. There is a decent amount of fruit and carby veg, though, so I don't think you're heading into Atkins territory.

ARRAY(0x9ae54d50)